Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TYpQGt6Dwc

the only true art is prog tunes about paintings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Man, I posted in the last thread 374 times, and I showed up way late. I'm not going to end up a top contender, but I imagine I'll have plenty of useless posts going forward.

Like this one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

uranus posted:

what is the best show on earth. i would like anew show but i only watch the best show ever made

The Prisoner (1967)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have no idea who the gently caress those people are

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Nah dude, gut calls definitely have a place in mafia, it is a social game and going 100% BEEP boop robot loses a lot.

Yeah, I ran that game, the scum swept it, robots got rekt.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

That was a rough game.

Yeah. I still like it, but man, I wouldn't have wanted to play it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

I say we just use intellectually as a meaningless word, like love or justice.

or art

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I understand the words when isolated but the meaning of those words in conjunction is what I am missing.

You are not graced with intelligence, for you include in your hobbies posting in this thread.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like how ecco's point of view on the wiki is that regardless of if there's access or not, no one will add games. Well, if you look at these charts that have been posted before Bottle's new attempt, the community was a completely different group of people at that point. Also, the number of people arguing the contrary point are not likely to argue that point and then not add games, if they were allowed to.

Basically this is just an attempt to keep people from demanding access to the wiki.

##vote Ecco

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A couple also ended up in my Ramones game, because I was actively avoiding SA [Mafia], but then during recruitment and setup, the topic of the cards came back up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

My wang is also Redwood with Unicorn hair core, 12 and a quarter inches, Pliant.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm just going to keep imagining you're writing 'wang' and laugh and laugh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I should go to a pax proper - I've been to an event near one but didn't really go into the actual con except for like fifteen minutes of the night's concert while my ride home got his stuff together.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dallas-Forth Worth

A terrible place

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ernie. posted:

this is the best wimbledon final since 2008

I usually find tennis boring as gently caress, but I was willing to give it a shot, seeing as a person who digs it says it's really good.

I turn the TV on to see espn signing off coverage.

I don't even know who won.

Whoops.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm currently reading American Psycho at the moment and enjoying it for the most part. Usually when he talks about music I try to listen to the track.

I just read the chapter titled Genesis. I never knew why exactly Phil Collins was a walking punch-line until now. They are a horrible plastic band. I'll admit that there was the rare pop track in the albums Bateman reviews that I enjoyed but by and large it's just awful. I wonder if Genesis was actually better/good with Peter Gabriel around, though the only thing I know by that dude is 'Solsbury Hill', which is a fine fun song, but I am in no mood to listen to more Genesis to find out.

Either way, this fictional character has terrible taste in music. I'm cleansing out my ears and brain by listening to Mission of Burma. Hard to believe that the two groups were writing their stuff around at the same time. Music's so varied.

The problem with using Bateman as a guide to the 80s is that he's intentionally written to be a smug piece of poo poo, so basically he's going to point at exactly all the wrong reasons to listen to Genesis.

Collins doesn't become a walking punchline until you get to stuff like his Serious Message Songs on his solo records, flying Concorde to sit in at both Live Aid concerts, trying to act, all that nonsense.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh

this thread moves too fast

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He was the president of Nintendo during the most recent period. I don't know what he was personally responsible for but I like Nintendo and I worry it isn't a company that holds up through loss/change but I have no real reason to think that so I'm probably wrong.

The Japanese gaming industry is terrible (and was worse in the 80s) for assigning credit to individuals, but I know he started out with HAL in the 80s, was the (only?) code guy on Balloon Fight, he co-produced Earthbound with Itoi and also did a bunch of the code on that, his wikipedia article mentions he developed compression and crosstalk tools for various Pokemon games... He became president of the company in 2002, and oversaw the Wii/DS era. Basically, dude's got a list of accomplishments that makes me wonder why I waste all this oxygen.

As regards the company's ability to handle change, they're already pushing to move to the mobile market, since they know consoles are a sinking ship. They'll be fine.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, So and Peter Gabriel I (his first solo)

I might suggest Foxtrot over The Lamb simply because of Supper's Ready and Watcher of the Skies (and the fact that The Lamb could really do with having about a third of it cut out) but these are good suggestions.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I am unabashedly a Peter Gabriel stan

He makes up the holy Trinity of whatever he is with David Bowie and David Byrne

1980 is an amazing confluence for those three---Scary Monsters, Remain in Light and 3/Melt

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

John Green's been posting Mountain Goats songs to his tumblr lately (with the "money line" for each) because he's a giant MG nerd and so is the character in the movie version of his latest book and my girlfriend has looked at each of these selections and seethed about how bad his ideas about "money lines" are, either clipping off the best part or taking a line terribly out of context or just being dumb or what have you.

I've never read the guy, but he sounds insufferable.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

I'm looking forward quite a bit to the Paper Towns movie. I read it when it came out and I was in high school and it is a really important part of that time in my life.

...are you actually younger than capps?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

This came up in a game one time.

Like five minutes ago yeah

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Assign action priority beforehand.

We actually talked about this in the scumdoc, in that I had a mistaken impression of what the OP's declaration of priority meant.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hello Mafia thread

gently caress, it's noon and I'm just waking up. I feel like eight piles of rear end.

How is the day for everyone else?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Theory: The Cars were the precursor to both grunge and 90s arena rock.

Example:

After the intro and into the verse, notice the use of the odd minor scale switching - it actually is starting out in Harmonic minor but as we can see when we have the resolution of "i kind of lose my mind - yeah" it switches to melodic. This is an odd choice for a bassline. It also sounds like a familiar kind of odd harmonic structure choice we might know...

Nirvana had a really clear and different melodic structure, but it really isn't that different than the "innovation" that The Cars are doing there.

We also have very similar crunchy guitarness happening that is similar to another iconic 90s band:

There you go, how we got from 80s music to grunge and arena rock.

I'd be more inclined to think that Pixies were inspired by the tonal moves The Cars made (both Boston-area bands as well), thus inspiring Nirvana at an additional generation removed.

Ric Ocasek produced the first Weezer record.

Also, my band covered Just What I Needed in its last lineup before it kind of shambled to pieces.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really can't do "absolute all-time OBJECTIVE BEST" about films because what people react to and how they react are so completely subjective.

There are relative levels of objective quality, sure, and that's definitely worth talking about.

But I've also met people who think B.A.P.S. is a funny movie.

I will never understand these people.

What really galls me is when people talk about how the only measure of a film is how much it ~*~moves you~*~ because in that case, the greatest cinematic achievement of all time is The Seventh Continent, because I've never encountered any one who's seen it and not been kinda hosed up by it.

That isn't to say it's enjoyable at all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

what's an album? who doesn't just buy one or two songs at a time? :confused:

e: oh it's like a mixtape of the band's music. that's weird.

:frogout:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

All wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyfNiBXPlzs

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Went out skating.

hosed up my back.

Go me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

games with great soundtracks that are totally coincidentally games I played with my sisters growing up:

- the first two donkeys kong

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

could be worse

I probably could use some anti-depression meds

but I'm also terrified of ego annihilation

I probably should just put on some Tangerine Dream and smoke a bowl but I've got hosed up lungs from asthma so I don't smoke and also I've only gotten temp and seasonal work since I got laid off some years back, which means I might get a job interview at basically any point that would require a piss test so edibles are out anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I've been saying this for years. The fact is that the US is a nation of drug users and always has been, so why are some drugs illegal?

Plus it always baffled me that the government would just want to collect the money from drug sales tax. Or they should have jumped on the 'We'll provide safe drugs, you just give us money' train a long time ago.

it's because the us is a nation of biblethumping prudes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Speaking of Grohl. Is he learning to walk again?

I laughed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...did they put cheese on top of your calzone, like it's some kind of extra-bready pizza? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Phoneposting one-handedly from the plasma donation joint.

Ghost is a pretty cool band.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

reading through the description of my personality they are bang on for most of it, wow

cold reading is a known methodology

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The only thing that really bugs me about the MB test is how many people wave the flag of being introverted, explicitly othering extraverts as being less trvekvlt nerds.

Being social with other people, especially nerds, basically saved my life. I always make the worst decisions and get the most brutally depressed when I'm alone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Titus Andronicus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHlK8ZXgvE

JakeP posted:

75% of my shirts are Phillies shirts, and the rest are an assortment of eagles and flyers shirts.

and I have this 76ers hoodie:

Are you actually Roy Ziegler, former mayor of Newbridge?

(I have wanted a Hextall jersey for like 25 years now, never have the cash at the right time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My theater company is starting up work again this fall, in a space that just opened this spring. I'm always tempted to just go and drop Macbeth into as many conversations as possible because I am galled and annoyed by superstition.