Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i missed someone other than me talking about netrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
what is this tag? i'm very angry and also resistant to change.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
how did john oliver end up voicing a character on gravity falls? what series of events led to that transpiring?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
last post i won at splendor tonight but i think i used a strategy that was ultimately predicated on a certain amount of luck so i probably didn't deserve to.

i think i'm going to run a few newbie games. i should just post a thread and figure the rest out later. how did the coaching system work out last time it was used?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

woah spoilers I only just got to the freaky friday episode.

it was in headhunters. which, you know, not a great episode really.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
nevermind, headhunters is pretty funny. it's just hard to rewatch old episodes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

Oh he was Sherlock Holmes, cool.

I like Gravity Falls but more so than the other "shows for children that adults watch" it seems definitely on the "for children" side of things. I'm sure that's mostly a Disney thing though.

I like the ciphers at the end of each episode, too, they're easy but also fun.

well yeah out of like

gravity falls
steven universe
otgw
adventure time

i would definitely agree with that. i'm not sure entirely how much that says though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why not just use jinteki.net though? The lag issue has been fixed and I bellieve almost everything has been implemented.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Little Mac posted:

I've never played Netrunner. Sell me on it.

netrunner is asymmetrical hacker-poker.

players take turn playing a corporation and a hacker. it's almost like capture the flag to magic's deathmatch. the hacker/runner is trying to steal various project and agenda cards while the corporation is trying to advance and develop those cards, setting up various network defense programs while the runner installs hacking programs that can break those defenses. in the end the runner can always get through so the corporation has to stay ahead of them, but if the runner gets reckless the corporation can just demolish their city block or destroy their connection to the network using illegal brain damaging tools.

that's probably too many words but it's one of the tensest games i've ever played. bluffing and reading your opponent are very important.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

it's a game with a wonderfully macabre sense of humor in the context of mega corporations ruling the world

it's incredibly inclusive in its art of every type of person (shape/color/body modifications)

the community is great and it's constantly updated on a (near?) monthly basis

and the 'foil' system between different classes of cards is ridiculously well balanced.

the fact that the core set is still incredibly useful after two(three?) years of datapacks is so impressive from a game design perspective.

also that you can buy every single netrunner card for less than the cost of a competitive magic deck.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

Is this free?

yeah.

I have an hour if anyone wants to go through a game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i published something for a little bit of money and now that i read it, the money was not worth it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I just watched It Follows, which was pretty good but I kept having hosed up thoughts about where the plot either was going to go or should be going so in comparison the movie was quite tame compared to the things I was thinking.

Yeah, I felt like it was an amazing premise with so-so execution. Horror films!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

I started a few days ago, it's so charming. I wish more was available.

It is pretty easy to find any show streaming for free. I'm sure it's also available on Amazon.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm looking for some good horror or urban fantasy novels I can listen to while working. I haven't read any good horror fiction in a while so I'm not even sure where to start.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
flattered pin, ty.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's Rarity's chart!

That explains why it's wrong.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I ran that game, the scum swept it, robots got rekt.

That was a rough game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
what if there was a mafia wiki we could actually edit http://samafia.wikia.com/ great let's do that go to work

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i agree that a wikia is an imperfect solution but i'd rather do something than nothing. i'll put in work maintaining it if people use it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

that's neat.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

Any games lately where a 3P solo won? Maybe I'll beef up the 3P next game I run.

I think the nature of action economy makes it inherently difficult to balance the efforts of one player against multiple teams.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

I always pegged myself for a Ravenclaw but I went through my post history and made a gut call.

I am kind of surprised that I'm generally pegged as calm. I'm not very good at being scum so I often have to resort to emotional pleas or bullying to get anything done. I'm happy though, I've been working on being less of a dickhead.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

I am now much more okay with getting really into Steven Universe now that I know it was just renewed for a 3rd season. I hate getting into a show right before it's cancelled. Not worth the risk!

I dunno, I enjoyed Carnivale and I'm okay with the fact that there'll never be another season. I'm often disappointed by finales though. With how slow Steven Universe moves though, it'd be a shame if it ended early.

I've been totally engrossed by Major Lazer and I am not that ashamed about it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I felt the same way for a while, then I rewatched it. I do not think Firefly holds up at all.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
is there anyone who does marketing and actually likes it?

edit: nevermind it's probably just people who get paid a lot.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i really liked cabin in the woods. i thought dollhouse was good but i stopped watching midway into the second season and i'm not sure why.

if you liked dollhouse you may also like: sense8. i'm a big fan of the wachowski siblings and almost anything they do though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
has anyone done a mafia draft before?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

do you mean a roledraft? like WIFOA?

i meant more like a player draft. I'm thinking about how the particulars would work.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hufflepuff ain't got magic, they just smoke behind the greenhouse

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
(download link)Nain is the Harry Potter roleplaying game I always wanted.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Look Under The Rock posted:

Ugh I really want to do the Pottermore stuff but for some reason it's super loving broken every time I've tried (it's been like four, over the years)

Maybe I'm a squib :(

i had the same problem so i used a copy someone made

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton, No Children, Cotton, Seed Song, Autoclave, Michael Myers Resplendent, Dance Music, Attention All Pickpockets, Woke Up New, Surrounded, The Sign, Estate Sale Sign, Cry for Judas, Gojam Province 1968, Satanic Messiah, The Day the Aliens Came.

Edit: game shows that touch our lives, choked out, the young thousands, the bad doctor.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
if you own a playstation 4 you really need to be playing rocket league right now.

also hey exakt thank you for posting about working out because it's inspired me to stay motivated. gettin' big.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
that too.

it's free if you have ps+

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i will admit that american currency can't compete with the tactile sensation and aethetics of british currency. i mean look at this

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TMMadman posted:

I was killed in my very first SA (and first ever) Mafia game today. But at least it was a NK on N4, so I'll just assume that the scum were scared of me.

Someone hold me.

I am happy for you but try not to talk about ongoing games!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey 'Strayans, I'm planning a roleplaying game set in Australia and I'm looking for all I can find in terms of spooky, mystical, or otherwise culturally significant spaces.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bowmore posted:

honestly Somber a Mad Max theme would be much more interesting than anything else

I have no doubt but I lack the narrative legerdemain to pull that off.

I was familiar with the dreaming, that was some of my inspiration. Thanks for all the awesome suggestions guys. You might have the spookiest continent per capita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Rum Rebellion occurred on my birthday :toot:

Also a whale exploded on my birthday.