Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I feel like a whole new person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

imgay posted:

moba chat is usually super toxic, i tend to stay away from it

:-( sorry

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

All nationalism is stupid and divisive. World sports is just televised nationalism.

Yeah, but you should be watching the football anyway and just not outright support either team. Holy poo poo, a hattrick in 16 minutes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No TT. It's just you and me 1v1 deathmatch.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Death proof doesn't stop mod-kills.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I have made a new chart for everyone to disagree with.

Emotional does not mean hysterical, and calm does not mean boring. Slytherin does not mean evil, and Hufflepuff does not mean dumb. I did it mostly on feel so I can't really put into words what my thought process was.

I only included people I've interacted with/read enough of so if I missed you maybe I'll update it some day.

I promise I like pretty much all of you so if you don't like your spot don't take it personally!

I'm just happy to be charted for once.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The other mafiathred.txt is getting defensive if someone doesn't like something you like.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have been told I am highly competitive when playing games. Maybe I'm highly competitive with my pedantry too, I don't know.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've never had people get competitive at Boss Monster. Worst reaction was bored. Dominion I can see.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why do some people get insulted if you say they would be Hufflepuffe. My only exposure is to the movies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you're not brave, ambitious or smart you're basically a complete moron worthy only of scorn.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

wow rude

hufflepuff with a 13 inch wand, acacia with dragon core, quite flexible

It's not my opinion - just a summary of the video and/or popular opinion.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Speaking of Rowling's writing, my GF was reading the murder mystery she wrote under a pen name. I told her "The murderer will be the first person the detective talked to". "But the detective first talks to the brother who hired him!" - So guess how it ends :smug:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Regardless of how Rowling writes, the houses work how she wants them to because she is the author. She can't not understand how they work

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If she invented it, it works as she says it does. Writing about things you don't understand is for realms not controlled by your own imagination.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The way it works in the book is a narrative device. The way it works in interviews is because of fanatics.

OR

It works a way in the books and she's revising it on the fly after the fact. It depends if you care about reading the book or fantasising and self inserting/writing fan fiction etc.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TMMadman posted:

I am so glad that I've never read or watched any of the Harry Potter books/movies.

At some point, maybe I'll finish reading book 2 of ASoIaF, but epic fantasy novels got sort of tiring. I haven't actually even finished the WoT series or the SoT series. However, I kind of want to go back and read the Dragonlance books again just for funsies.

Read the first 3 ASoIaF books. Then read Pratchett.

GulagDolls posted:

if she was revising it after the fact she would probably say something along the lines of "it should have actually been like ____" as she did with ron getting married to hermione, the greatest of sins

Does it really matter? It's all fantasy.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

In your own head, it can be whatever you want it to be. Same goes for Authors when they put it on the page.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

oh can we only talk about things that matter??? is that it??? is that how this is gonna go?? FINE

im going to go watch "ZOMBEAVERS" tomorrow

Oh we can totally talk about things that don't matter. That's this entire thread. I'm just saying it doesn't matter what Rowling says now compared to what she wrote then. She has changed her mind and if she wrote the books now they could be different. Gulag, you can believe the hat works however you want.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The mechanics are secondary to the narrative. It's magic, it does whatever it needs to do to push the plot where the author wants it to. I never said she was a good writer, just that she owns her own fantasy and it does as she says.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Funny, I almost used that as an example.
Depends which version you watch. I do prefer the characterisation of Han where he shoots first. Less of a sap. But both versions are equally valid interpretations of the narrative. Han can shoot first or second, just choose what you prefer - it doesn't matter which. Canon is meaningless.

It's like when adaptions don't stick 100% to the source material. I'm not screaming "THERE WERE NO ELVES AT HELM'S DEEP!" because I just see the movies as an alternate version of the same overall story.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, same. I check the page where I had read up to last, then just skip to the end. Do the same thing with books and you can get through so many.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's Schrodinger's Blaster. Han shoots both first and second till you watch the movie and the waveform collapses.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The red buttons on the far right of your user control panel bookmark list.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm listening to music right now! Current song, Without You by Harry Nilsson

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

https://plug.dj/3062362278242127294/

I am in there and if you want to have a good time you need me around so come have a good time!!

Good timing. Happy together by the Turtles is playing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's got 11 sides.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

None. They replaced it with Stingrays.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I need to get a new job.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For one, I'm not working in my field. Other than that, it's not engaging and kind of infuriating at times - despite the workplace in general being pretty great.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My field is Chemistry - organic or inorganic synthesis stuff, but I have done some cell biology stuff.

Syd meetup was depeendent on Bowmore being free.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When is that?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The return of Harold Holt.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There's also a great big fantasy about coal being the future.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Stupid tennis. Keeping me up. I only watched the first two sets, but 1 am was late enough when I had to be up at 6. Now I'm going to be too tired for this day.

Also, Bowmore/Busb - if you do try to orgnaise a Syd meet up make sure to PM me as I don't read all the posts here.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hot dogs are technically wraps. Or vice versa. Hamburgers are sandwiches. And the red text is correct.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Where does Calzone fit?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's just mean.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

But is a calzone a sandwich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102