Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah. I really enjoyed that too because of the whole "the monster is depression" thing and the fact that it actually scared me once or twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm finding that I think a lot of your tastes are really bad, its weird

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

What about mine?

The fact that you had to ask is insanely telling bro

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mags you seem to know at some level how bad your opinions are, why should anybody care about the quicksand upon which you've built them

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

One of the saddest things I have ever seen is the episode of Futurama where the dog waits for him until it dies

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Everybody name the last movie to make you cry

Nobody Knows

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

No, it's a real opinion people have, not things 14 year olds say to be edgy.

Indeed. I don't listen to albums as a whole unless I love the artist ala Neutral Milk Hotel etc as I find it to be a waste of time since the majority of the songs will be meh at best

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Please resurrect George Carlin.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Look Under The Rock posted:

Also lol 2-5 could be symptoms of working a poo poo job full time or having a child or grieving but nope you gots the depression, I bet Paxil could fix that.

Parentage/poo poo job = depression, actually. In either case you're supposed to mitigate the depression by thinking of the benefit (helping someone discover the world the best way you can/keeping the lights on) but they both largely suck despite what you might hear. The thing that's overblown is the impact of depression; I would wager that there are a huge number of fully functioning depressed folk out there. Its impact comes down to an individual's inner strength and all that jazz.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

For that to be anywhere near a sound screening tool there needs to be an extra question to the effect of "has anything happened in your life lately that may cause these feelings"

Emotions don't exist in a vacuum and the majority of people I know who have literally been diagnosed with a biological brain illness could have just as easily been diagnosed with "oh so you were sexually assaulted/your dad was kidnapped/you had mono for a year/you lost your job/you went through a bad breakup/you're experiencing puberty/your friends are assholes/you were raised in a religious system that you've never questioned but that doesn't fit with how you see the world/you have a chronic pain issue/your sister is terminally ill/you are dealing with consequences of bad life decisions/you want to play sports but have severe asthma/you are in love with someone who doesn't have feelings for you..."

Where do you draw the line between "you're having a bad run lately" and "your brain now needs help chemically righting itself"? I think one leads into the other generally. Do I think doctors try to push pills on people who don't need them? Yeah, I definitely do. Do I think it's easy to tell if someone is depressed? Hell no.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I draw the line at diagnosing someone with a brain disease based on self reported emotional symptoms. You can talk to me about biological brain illness when the diagnostic criteria involves labs and microscopes and chemical levels rather than arbitrarily drawn lines and "how many days per month do you feel sad?"

And that's why I'm going into neurobiology.

Soooo you want to physically see the chemical imbalance before you treat for it. That's fair enough, I guess, but there are a lot of really sad people out there that could be one way or the other and people with run-of-the-mill daily sadness are probably going to need a treatment just for the well being of society, too.

Oh, and your comment there is a little mean!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What's mean about it?

Brains are weird and I have yet to see a study proving that chemical imbalances have an effect on mental health that didn't 1) start from an incredibly flawed sample group, 2) skew results in a pretty unethical way or 3) 1 or 2 coupled with being funded by companies that have a vested interest in proving the legitimacy of the chemical imbalance model. Independent studies have shown that levels of serotonin and dopamine vary from person to person and don't even have any correlation with mental health diagnoses. Put simply, there are as many people without depression who have low serotonin as people with depression who have low serotonin.

So yes, I want to see chemical imbalances, I would like solid evidence that we are treating brain illnesses if we're going to keep calling them illnesses.

Did you know schizophrenic patients have a far greater chance of achieving recovery if they are never exposed to antipsychotic drugs? Did you know antipsychotic drugs literally cause brain damage to the frontal lobe?

I don't want to turn the Mafia Discussion Thread into the Bash Psychiatry Hatin' Station, I keep responding because I care passionately about this issue and people keep it going but if people are getting annoyed we can take this it of the thread.

You seem to take issue with the entire diagnosis system we have in modern medicine, and you know what, I'm going to surprise you and say that I agree. I think that when people make these drugs that they really are attempting to address an ailment. The breakdown is after that and Big Pharma markets them and tries to get as many people taking the medicine rather than focusing on the people directly affected. The problem is that the way we currently diagnose people in general is based on what the patient tells the doctor. There are of course many things doctors can directly test for and there are also judgment calls a doc can make as to if someone does or doesn't need a regimen but it seems to me that the reason for the loose prescription book hand is that it's better to treat someone for something they don't have than to not treat someone for something they do have. If we can, in the future, find a way to more precisely diagnose patients with depression and other mood-related illnesses (if, as you say, they are even that) then I'd be all for waiting for a test. The problem is we have nothing to say it isn't an illness yet and in the reverse we find supporting evidence.

As for the Schizophrenia thing, unfortunately we are not very advanced medically and until we have a more complete understanding of disease and the medicines we use to treat it, the nastier the side effects will be. The brain is mysterious and I'd like to think that every patient (or the families of) being treated for such things is advised of how shot-in-the-dark treatment is these days.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 20, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So I sometimes wonder if I have ADHD. I'm 25. Is any doctor going to care enough to do something about it or should I not even bother?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Also Diqnol if you are having problems socially and all, which some people do, even as adults, you should try being really good looking so people just put up with your poo poo anyway.

That's another pro tip from mafia darling CCKeane.

It's not a social thing, it's a focus thing. I have a LOT of trouble keeping focus. So far I've been able to handle everything in my life just fine, I just annoy some people because they expect undivided attention and I tend to have trouble giving that even when I try :(

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What no :(

I loved grooveshark

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

She isn't hollywood hot or anything but she is a beautiful woman :shobon:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think that's silly, taste.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie. posted:

i, personally, would appreciate it if you didn't turn this thread into a 'HAHA WE'RE BOYS AND HERE'S WHAT MY DICK THINKS' conversation :shrug:

I personally think it's harmless and would rather you didn't make any conversation like that have to be viewed in your lens

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'd be a fighter :)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Looks good but unnecessarily annoying to eat.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Calzones and strombolis are huge and when I do get them (very rare) they last me a couple of days

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I am legitimately envious of anybody who can sleep normally. I get insomnia hardcore.

Same. I get between 4-6 hours a night and a friendship with caffeine and early morning grumpiness later, I am a perfectly affable and productive young man. I imagine this is harder on people who are literally comprised of butt gelatin such as yourself, Keane, but in time you will find a chair.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I do this thing where I wake up for work every day between 6-7a but stay up until 4a or so on nights where I have the next day off, resulting in me waking up around 1pm on said day off. I do this if I can, anyway. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, I've found there are more things for me to do and people for me to see and I end up being annoyed about it every day. Adulthood is poop.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Let me shock you all: INTP-T but only my P is particularly pronounced :smaug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is it that hard to say "I need a ride from X to Y, when will it be here?"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What if cruelty-produced meat tasted way better? You'd be surprised at how quickly we'd turn against Greenpeace.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Synthetic pain won't do. Think splenda.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Camisole.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nah they'll be 8-8 :mrgw:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like Nissans but Hondas and Toyotas are solid too

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Quote this post and I will tell you which basic music theory concept you are.

Come on sforzando

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So I'm drawn out and tend to be found in hymnals? Interesting.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Quote this post and I'll tell you which funny number best fits you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You are the number 420. A simple anthem of a lifestyle followed by men both great and small, you are both a holiday and a symbol of freedom. You are currently unemployed.

You are the number 1337. You're ironically excellent at all things involving pwnage and dank 360 noscope headshots.

You are the number 58005. I'll have you know this was a calculated choice.

CCKeane posted:

Everybody is number 2 imo.

You are the number 37. One day sooner than you might think, you will be this age and will relive the 90s.

chaoslord posted:

In for these two as well

You are the number 1488. You are strong and stand for something greater than yourself, brother.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Is it too late for this one?

You are the number 6911, the funny sex tragedy number that I use as my iphone password, because I bet you love to use your phone.

You are the number 42 because you understand the reference

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

bowmore posted:

Diqnol do my number thang

You are the number 101, a number you wouldn't think is prime but is, because however I look at you I always see the same person and that person is always steadfast.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

busb posted:

Diqs you didn't give me a sweet number so you are dead to me.

My swear name is "cuntface" BTW but only my parents call me that.

You are the number 1, the penis digit, because you are a dick about funny numbers

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

This image is making the news rounds this week:

Idk if it's accurate for everyone but as a Midlander I think it's pretty good.

The Midlands are supposed to be politically moderate, which sounded crazy to me until I realized western Kansas is in the far west, as it is far, FAR more conservative.

Here's the article if anybody's interested.

As someone born and raised 6 miles outside of Philly, gonna have to say southern NJ is far more like the New Amsterdam thing than the Midland thing. Very liberal, great schools, very tolerant, completely focused on career and finances, etc

Well, at least, Camden, Burlington, and Gloucester counties. Vineland and the shore are probably tidewater.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Diqnol is a stale count.

Please insult me in easily google-able ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I play video games.