Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One day this kingdom will be mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

god drat it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kleedrac posted:

I haven't played Gone Home or Sunless Sea but I will say that Stanley Parable isn't a game, more of an interactive and extremely boring loving movie - I made it about 20 minutes in before blocking the friend who recommended it and cursing the time wasted pirating the piece of poo poo.

congratulations, you fell for ecco's argument trap

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

last night I was talking to bottleknight but apparently I went to far and offended him because he stopped talking to me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sad

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe it was whoever bought his ps3

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Heavy lies the crown

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can you tell capps I said hi and was sad he didn't mention me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dr. Hurt posted:

I am glad Capps is not dead. Speaking of folks without internet, I am moving into a new apartment tomorrow so for a while I will only have internet when I a) steal it from a coffee shop or b) go back to my family's house.

text bottleknight so he can update us

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tell capps I'll buy his ps3 and also throw in a pizza as part of the deal.

(this is a lie)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Do you guys remember drawfia 3? what a game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dr. Hurt posted:

Drawfia 3 never happened. Shut up

This is but one of the legends of which the people speak...

Long ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden. It was a prosperous land blessed with pizza toppings, video games, and arguments.

But one day, a man of great evil found the golden power and took it for himself. With its strength at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom. But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand...

...a young boy clothed in a hard hat appeared as if from nowhere. Wielding Drawfia, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light.

This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as Dr. Hurt. The boy's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend... But then, a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom. The great evil that all thought had been forever sealed away by the hero once again crept forth from the depths of the earth, eager to resume its dark designs.

The people believed that Dr. Hurt would again come to save them... But the hero did not appear. Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the Gods. In their last hour, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate.

What became of that kingdom? None remain who know.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

charts bad, the axes don't even have anything to do with mafia, and aren't even equal things. Emotional play is a hindrance to good mafia play, whereas intellectual thinking is absolutely a stronger trait to have in a well rounded mafia game. Positive and Negative have nothing to do with mafia ability at all, and is just a weird thing to rate, especially since it is irrelevant.

At least the old chart was kind of fun, Raritys chart is pretty insulting imho

I strongly disagree with you that emotional play is a hindrance to good play while intellectual play is a plus. My big issue with the chart is that emotional play and intellectual play are not opposing play styles.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

Maybe? I look at it as if it is saying you make decisions with your head, or you make decisions because you are mad/sad/whatever, where making decisions with your head is what you should do because mafia is a thinking game, and making emotional decisions is bad because that isn't how you play mafia. Sure playing emotionally can be good for making people realize you are town, but that can all be faked. Making emotional decisions in mafia is bad making intelectual decisions is good.

I think that's a one sided view of emotional. Being able to read the game emotionally is important because you can figure a lot of stuff out about people's motivations and stuff. The classic emotional player is yuming and she's renowned for her ability to read players.

Intellectual thinking has its place as well but I don't think it's strictly better. People often out think themselves or do weird stuff based on trying to logic things out.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Perhaps feeling/thinking would be better words here

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I don't think it's a duality.

As an example the more emotionally invested and worked up I get in a mafia game, the easier it becomes for me to hash out the logic of the game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

That's a perceptive point, made without judgment.

It's just where my intuition pointed me,but I know some people would sense something wrong with it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ah the second city

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

That was a rough game.

I liked it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

I think they are both positions that rely on intellect, do you disagree that therapists are intellectuals?

Would disagree that there are different types of intellect?

Emotional intellect and logical intellect perhaps?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

i think our scum town win ratio is a bit better now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I have a great idea for a solution to this, but we'll have to wait until somebody responds to my PMs

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

This has always been the case and will continue always being the case unless something fundamentally changes.

I'm trying

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

just my experience but I never make any effort to get my games added to the wiki

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Look Under The Rock posted:

Did anyone adopt Votefinder?

How much was it to adopt Votefinder?

I actually am talking to soru about rn. I didn't want to say anything to the thread before but since we started getting into this mess I figured I should clarify

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I actually have been learning the framework used and making a list of things I'd try to change and have ideas for a lot of the issues being discussed right now. Soru hasn't responded to the pm I sent a few days ago but I figure he's just getting around to it? We'll see.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I have made a new chart for everyone to disagree with.

Emotional does not mean hysterical, and calm does not mean boring. Slytherin does not mean evil, and Hufflepuff does not mean dumb. I did it mostly on feel so I can't really put into words what my thought process was.

I only included people I've interacted with/read enough of so if I missed you maybe I'll update it some day.

I promise I like pretty much all of you so if you don't like your spot don't take it personally!

very interesting!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think asiina is at least a little serious

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Also, Firefly got its second chance with the major motion picture Serenity.

Oh man you're in the discussion thread now, we got him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

Why do some people get insulted if you say they would be Hufflepuffe. My only exposure is to the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o
(this person taught me improv and is pretty cool)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

hehe, yeah. N1, N1, and N2 for last three games. I'm not THAT good, c'mon. :smuggo:

if KingB makes it D3 he is scum pass it on

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight can you text Capps and ask him to recommend me some Mountain Goats songs?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

IRON MOD: two mods enter one mod leaves!! Both make a game inspired by the same flavor idea, players vote after which game was better!

I'd like to enter an Iron Mod competition if we ever do one of those again

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I hear your money can go through the wash. Is this true???

it can stand the wash, but could melt a bit in the dryer

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ecco stop mixing real and fake opinions

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

merk posted:

* [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727286 WIFOA: A Political Mess] - Scum (MMT, yuming, Hal) and Survivor (Grandicap) victory. Hosted by merk.

this was a fun, if frustrating game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I was killed in my very first SA (and first ever) Mafia game today. But at least it was a NK on N4, so I'll just assume that the scum were scared of me.

Someone hold me.

You can follow the game announcement thread for new games and since you were such a delight to have in swolfia I'll PM you next time I get a game going.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ecco's games are a great way to experience the flavour of a game after going through the raw mechanical experience of my games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I felt the sudden urge to show up to this thread