Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

uranus posted:

since when is art about ideas? i havent heard that one. what idea does the mona lisa disseminate

the idea that a little smile goes a long way ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Asiina posted:

Quote this post and I will tell you which picture of my cats represents you.

!!!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
The Kinks - The Muswell Hillbillies
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Alt J - An Awesome Wave

Also I really like T-Rex's Electric Warrior but I feel like T-Rex has too much good poo poo scattered across various albums to justify putting it on the list.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Ugh...

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Lateralus
Coldplay - Parachutes
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Runners up:
Neil Young - Harvest
CSNY - Deja Vu

do you have a last.fm account

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

What if cruelty-produced meat tasted way better? You'd be surprised at how quickly we'd turn against Greenpeace.

And eat them, you mean?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Quote this post and I'll tell you what animal or person I've come across on this cottage trip.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Quidnose posted:

If we both were turned on and enjoying the activity from a sexual standpoint sure why not?

This is the definition I go by for sure. I guess I tend to think of someone coming due at least in part to someone else's contact as my 'official' sex definition but I think sex involves such a massive multitude of things that summing it up as 'dick in anus or vagina' is absurd and stupid, and I figure lots of people have lots of different definitions for it. v0v

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:v:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

For those who feel the wagon example is sex, would that sexual pleasure have to be mutual?

IMO, yeah.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

TMMadman posted:

If not it'd be wagon rape.

Well I mean, someone could want to do it because they want to make the other person feel good, and knowing this person had a wagon fetish. But they could also just not be gaining -sexual- pleasure from it. But then I wouldn't really consider that sexual intercourse so much as a sexual activity.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

Under that classification, then, me jacking off while watching someone pleasure themselves is "sex"

At that point why even use the word at all

Well like I said, personally I consider pleasurable physical contact with each other to be involved, otherwise I'd call that 'mutual masturbation'.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

Sex act is any physical action performed to derive sexual pleasure

"Sex" is a subset which focuses on mutual physical stimulation using the physical body

Imo

I agree with that. I think if you're in the same place it doesn't have to be directly your body though, like with the whole pegging issue I think directly manipulating a tool to give someone pleasure, and probably feeling the physical effect of that in return can be sex.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Quidnose posted:

"SEXUAL INTERCOURSE

Definition 1: Its meaning is limited to persons not married to each other.

What?!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

I recognize that people's definitions are personal, of course, I just felt this was an interesting discussion between j and myself and wanted to share

I enjoyed this discussion. Interesting stuff.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Quidnose posted:

Question: "How do you define sex"
Response to Definition: "How dare you post a definition from the law"

Get out of here MMM :argh:

Also people can keep talking about it if they want I'm not your mom

The problem with dictionary definitions and law definitions is that they are culturally and socially influenced, and also different places have different laws. Although I know you just posted it to shut us up, ha.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Definitions can be really annoying mostly because people think they define things instead of things defining them, if that makes sense.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:rolleyes:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

CapitalistPig posted:

I bet this conversation has or will offend someone.

Wow, what a stellar contribution to the topic at hand.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm saying definitionally that word has that meaning, and by that meaning you need a dick to have intercourse

However as you may have noticed my definition of sex is completely different, so trying to railroad me on whether a word means what it generally is accepted to mean and twisting that into some sort of misogynist credo is baffling

If you consider inter course to be the only way to have sex, I'd disagree

But I wouldn't say gay men could scissor either unless they were both ftm trans*, and if that upsets you somehow I really don't care

Intercourse just means insertion inside the body sexually though, and that can include fingering or using a sex toy. I mean, I guess if you specified 'vaginal intercourse' but I've never had a problem with people being a bit more specific in what they meant instead of trying to pigeonhole a more broad subject.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you considering fingering someone inter course I guess the possibilities are limitless

Why? A dick and fingers both stimulate someone sexually from inside their body. I'd consider fisting intercourse too.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes because in the thread thats 24 7 buzzfeed central we are having an intelligent and not at all pretentious and ultimately pointless conversation about what people think sex is we are just all about stellar contributions.

Get off your high horse.

Oh please, it's not that I think I'm better than you, it's that I think you were being an unneccesary rear end in a top hat.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Honestly I think there are varying definitions to everything and everyone perceives stuff differently. I don't think it's wrong for Taste to have the specific perception that he does of 'intercourse', I mean I know my own perception of its definition is definitely influenced by a lot of different things. I am curious about what informs it, though.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

CapitalistPig posted:

Really? because I implied that some people might be offended by the topic?

I interpreted your 'some people will be offended by this' as a judgement rather than a warning. I apologize if that's not what you meant by it, I responded the way I did because I find people making fun of someone else for being invested in a conversation extremely irritating because it doesn't add anything and is just meant to shame people for sharing their opinions.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

After spending time in this thread I can no longer tell which one of those things is supposed to be the controversial one.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

mr.capps posted:

those are called carpet sharks

you rang?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

In Hamilton we have a heavenly place called Chuck's Burgers, which always has a massive wait to get in but drat, let me tell you, they work some magic there. My personal fave combo from their super-customizable menu is a beef burger with a slice of smoked cheddar, applewood smoked bacon, chipotle ketchup, and onion rings. It's to die for and I always regret ordering fries because the burgers are so filling. Ugh. I love burgers. Anyway, I was reminded of this because I like your burger style, Rarity. Speaking of unusual burgers, Chuck's carries a bacon burger which is literally made of ground bacon. MMM tried it and I think he said he was glad he tried it but he wouldn't order it again, which sounds like an accurate description of a burger literally made of bacon if we're being honest here.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

EccoRaven posted:

for the splittest of seconds I was incredibly jealous.

No you're right to be, Ecco, this all takes place in the hit musical 'Hamilton'. Our production takes a lot of creative license.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Also I grew up on a chicken farm but we don't kill them and also the ones that can be are free range, the others are kept in pens with a few other chickens in their brood, with lots of leg-space and little perches and nest holes and things. We also keep ducks in a gigantic pen with a bunch of little shelters and stuff like containers for them to swim in. We eat the ducks sometimes though, because duck is really delicious and actually worth the effort of de-feathering and everything. Hobby farms are cool, imo in an ideal world instead of industrial farms everyone would just have a little personal farm or be involved in a larger community farm where they could produce enough food to sustain their own family. There's also a lot less food waste when you're producing food yourself because you stop worrying about a bruise or spot here or there when it comes to plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

who took his eyebrows?!?! poor guy!