Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CCKeane posted:

Why do you assume I am being insincere?

What is it that you like about Trump for president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I thought I found one but its don slurring "innocence"

Ahhhh I was going to make a joke about this thread's loss of "in a sense" but you beat me to it. :mad:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

I saw a guy checking his fantasy football team while sitting second chair in court one time.

Bonus points to that guy if the defendant in the case was an NFL player.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

Not saying you do this but in general don't spam the thread with an epic megacase that takes up the entire screen as your method of getting people on your side, peoples attention spans are short, and they will not digest it. I find you are better off posting your thoughts as they come up, and not letting them pile up, and just be genuine, and explain why you feel the way you do. Good townies will recognize this, and give your case more attention than some mega post of quotes and lovely blurbs about why the posts were scummy, or an essay that is 5 paragraphs long or something

As someone who is very clearly long-winded, I usually try to

(a) understand my thought process[/b] before I post it, so if people challenge me on my posts I can justify them
(b) directly engage with the people who I think are scummy so there is an obvious thing for people to reply to
(c) bold the important parts of my megapost if I think it's so long that people won't read it (I actually always forget to do this but I think it's a generally good idea)
(d) be aware of the presence of scum. If your giant case is right and being dismissed, it might be a sign that you're right. Conversely, if your giant case is being agreed upon by almost everyone, it means scum is cool with it and you're (likely) wrong.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I'm bored, mafia thread.

I am bored in the office.

Same.

I thought you were leaving the office for field work?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I am between projects at work, so I am in the office instead of out in the field.

I had worked office jobs before and hated them, and working in the field was incredibly liberating. So being back in the office, even for a few weeks, kind of stinks.

I feel that - I worked as a field technician for a few years and liked it a lot (especially on summer days with nice weather), but am stuck with the "dilemma" of working in a really good office.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

King Burgundy is a track and field star, you big silly.

I can't even imagine how good at running he must be if he can sprint while reading a book.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

HiipFire posted:

to be fair, most musicians don't really use the album format well

The reason I listen to jambands is because (a) every live show has a different setlist / improvisation and (b) pretty much every live show is available online for free. This is great for the fans because there's a near-unlimited catalog of music to listen to, and great for the bands because it keeps the fans coming back to their live shows. With the exception of Phish, I haven't listened to any of my favorite bands studio albums because I like their live stuff more and there's a huge abundance of it.

Here are five studio albums where I know all the words, like all the songs, and have listened to them a few hundred times each:

Phish - Junta
Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom
Less than Jake - Losing Streak
Daft Punk - Discovery
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Ernie. posted:

ecco is basically a poor man's tremendous taste at this point :(

This thread is a basically a poor man's PYF at this point :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

last weekend I finally watched all of Interstella555 or whatever, it was a lot of fun! I miss anime sometimes!

Interstella is great, but mildly bittersweet for me because I first saw it with a friend who I had a pretty large falling out with.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Look Under The Rock posted:

My primary focus is on actual brain science behind mental illness. There is a lot of nasty misinformation flying around that's leading to botched diagnosis and people being drugged as a first line of defense when psychiatric drugs in a healthy brain can lead to chronic illness and dependence. I was sick for ten years from improper handling in the mental health system and spent the last three of those with a schizophrenic spectrum diagnosis. My goals are pretty steep but if I even get a lower level position on a research team working on dispelling the mythology shoved on consumers by the pharmaceutical industry, I will consider my life well spent.

That's pretty personal but yeah that's why I'm pursuing this field. A few Mafia goons were close to me during the hardest point of being sick, I don't think most of them are still around. Anyway I'm pretty open about that being a part of my life; I think I posted a thread about it years ago.

Right now I'm getting math fundamentals in and doing peer support from a drug free recovery orientation, so basically if there are any Mafia buddies here who are suffering I'd be happy to listen and offer what experience I have.

If you get me talking about how much I hate the pharmaceutical industry, it's almost impossible to get me to stop. Good luck to you!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I would really like to talk to you about it.

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.

The last time I saw my doctor, she gave me this form and told me that they're having all patients fill it out. It's copyrighted by Pfizer, and I can't think of any reason for a medical practice to give it to all patients unless they were purposely trying to prescribe more antidepressants / book more psych appointments. The fact that medical professionals can do this with a straight face makes me sick.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Drugs - mostly illegal ones - have greatly improved my life. My objection is mainly to the fact that the US manages to have the biggest Pharma market in the world while simultaneously hosting the War on Drugs, and no one seems to question it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

does medical insurance cover medicinal marijuana

Yeah, but you have to fake ADD and then find a drug dealer with a good Adderall/pot trade value.

Just kidding.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

One of the biggest eye-openers for me was when I tried to be straight-up honest with a doctor to get an Adderall script. Not because I think I have ADD, but because I had been taking it for months and could tangibly see the benefit from it. My main goal in getting a script was to cover myself from a legal standpoint, and to have a doctor on-board with checking my health. Note that before I brought up Adderall, this doctor had given me a physical and said I was healthy.

The doctor refused to prescribe it, and told me I needed to go through a therapist in their Behavioral Health department. The therapist told me that I couldn't be prescribed Adderall because I had admitted to doing cocaine in the past, which meant I was at a high risk for abuse. I asked her what "high risk for abuse" meant, given that I already had access to it and had been giving myself the same dosage for weeks and was fully aware of the risks (which was what brought me there in the first place). She said she would lose her license if she signed off on giving me Adderall, but if I wanted to I could make an appointment with a psychiatrist to state my case. I talked with the psychiatrist, who said that they couldn't do anything unless I submitted to get neuropsychological testing done, which would take a full day, and even then they were more likely to help me "get over my marijuana addiction" than to recommend me stimulants.

After spending three hours and $60 getting nowhere, I did what I should have done in the first place and booked another doctor (the one who gave me the depression questionnaire) and told her what she wanted to hear.

Long term stimulant use is linked to decreased capacity to feel joy so yeah talk to your doctor about Adderall and enjoy your Celexa in five years

My anti-drug friends used to say that about my MDMA use and a decade later I'm happier than I've ever been :shrug:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

turn the AC up

snow is like satans semen

Is that what people mean when they say 'when Hell freezes over'?

QuoProQuid posted:

Snow is great.

It's not winter unless there's at least a foot of snow on the ground.

Winter is awful and snow is awful.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I wake up at 7am at the latest, even on weekends. Never get old.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ahhh, I missed MBTI chat, but that's probably a good thing. I think the types of personalities / metrics used are all valid but the way most people figure out theirs (tests and such) or what they mean (buzzfeed memes) tend to be really bad.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

Boston sports radio has been absolutely amazing and hilarious though between the red sox being terrible and deflategate

Wait, Boston sports radio? Are you telling me the whole country isn't holding its breath waiting Goddell to admit he was wrong about Brady?

Also lol Hanley is lazy and Pablo is fat.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

also something something something something Rick Porcello

WEEI is like cigarettes: I die a little when I listen to it, but can't stop

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

The joke doesn't work, Ernie. You're calling all engineers dull but everybody knows that I am terribly Keane.

You misspelled "terrible"

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Quote this post and I'll tell you what animal or person I've come across on this cottage trip.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

It's okay to cheat

Tremendous Taste posted:

Bills Patriots are actually really good, sorry

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

For an embarrassingly long time as a child, I thought a virgin was someone from Virginia.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you consider inter course to be the only way to have sex, I'd disagree

:hf:

Late to the party (and agree that it should end), but I feel like all of that was a discussion about language more than sex.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Meinberg posted:

I think it's important to find the balance between the cynical excesses of maturity and the impulses towards childish free spiritness.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

Engage them how? How would you go about engaging a new Facebook friend who has opinions you find, at surface, gross? Would you argue in the comments, message them personally about politics, or not bring up the subject at all to begin with?

What I've found works is listening to the other person and giving them an honest chance to sell you on their opinions. Yeah, they probably won't change your mind, but if you make a genuine attempt to see where they're coming from / respect their point of view, they're more likely than not to do the same for you.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

good luck playing any infield position besides first base for any major league baseball team left handed scrub

I'm left-handed and play second base for my softball team, which is almost the same thing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I am writing this post at a local Mexican restaurant while waiting for my lunch

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rodents freak me the gently caress out. I've had mice in my last two apartments, both times my cat has been in the room with me when I saw them and couldn't be bothered to do anything. :argh:

EccoRaven posted:

bernie is charismatic and all but he's just too old, I'm voting for hillary. aside from age their positions are nearly identical, and she's also more electable. I think she'll be a good president.

This opinion sounds fabricated. I don't think Ecco is properly trying to hunt for scum ##vote Ecco

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I am ok :ohdear: I'm sorry I flaked out so hard in Opop's game - I'm very consciously aware of how much I don't like it when other people join games and then don't post. Mafia is really fun for me when I'm able to immerse myself in a game, but when real life throws stressful stuff at me trying to keep up on a Mafia game on top of all of it becomes a bit too much.

Hopefully I'll be back next week with a good story to tell!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

It's times like these it'd be nice to have some smart power around.

Is that what powers the light bulb that appears over ones' head when they have a good idea?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Was he so used to getting voted out of Survivor games that he thought he could win an election?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

Mass Pike is also the worst designed turnpike I ever had to use. Hmm lotta traffic on this road, I know! Lets put toll stops all throughout, rather than at the exits themselves so that it is constantly stop and start the whole drive! Lets not use that cool EZ pass express that you don't need to slow down for either

While I understand that it's mostly unavoidable, my favorite part of the Mass Pike is that when you try leaving the city during rush hour in the summer, you get to stare directly into the sun.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Are you trying to get all the other candidates to quit the race, leaving Sanders as the only eligible person to vote for?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

Hey let's get that one last signup for our fantasy league :)

When is the draft / what is the buy-in? I'm in four leagues so can't promise to pay super-close attention but if you need one last person, I can play :)

If someone else wants the spot I will cede it to them.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

i will be drafting Super Bowl Sam Bradford with the first pick in the draft

New England is going to rise up in the face of the NFL's bold character assassination attempt on Tom Brady, and as such my fantasy sleeper picks are all of the Patriots.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

yuming posted:

Yea yea next summer June 2016 woo!

My new job uses Outlook mail and I hate it so much.

We also have Gmail accounts, but forward it into Outlook. Perhaps I can reverse this somehow...

At the very least, you can use Outlook rules (File > Manage Rules and Alerts) to forward copies of your work email into a specified folder in your Gmail.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

Last night I danced underneath a giant robot spider that was on fire also there were octopus men

It was awesome

Rarity posted:

Time did definitely feel compressed!

I just looked up Bristol Arcadia, that sounds like a total blast :j::hf::j:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Magnus Gallant posted:

I got Brady and ap. I win. Sorry guys

Cheaterson and Peterson (I have them both in another league and that is my team name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

Cheaterson and Beathisson

!!!