Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i need a mafia game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

great thanks wow why aren't more people signed up for this fabulous mafia game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
you should do a LP of a mafia game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

wow this game only needs like 1 or 2 more dudes to be truly amazing

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
only if he runs with Gary Busey as his running mate

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

What example are you looking for? My conversations? Classic literature? Legal statute?

Find a time it was used on the apprentice

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

what is the best show on earth. i would like anew show but i only watch the best show ever made

Nathan for You

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i keep hearing about this i guess i will try it

I have a feeling you will enjoy it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's Friday Night Lights.

I loved Friday Night Lights, but it had some hit or miss seasons/episodes esp season 2, which I think was during the writers strike and was the worst

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
ill do it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

atrocious

Harold Krell: Top Tier Intellectual

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
charts bad, the axes don't even have anything to do with mafia, and aren't even equal things. Emotional play is a hindrance to good mafia play, whereas intellectual thinking is absolutely a stronger trait to have in a well rounded mafia game. Positive and Negative have nothing to do with mafia ability at all, and is just a weird thing to rate, especially since it is irrelevant.

At least the old chart was kind of fun, Raritys chart is pretty insulting imho

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
also no offense to rarity but I don't think she is capable of judging/understanding good mafia play to even make such a chart rating people on anything mafia related

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Chart makes JakeP mad.

Chart is a good chart.

i hate it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the much needed levity

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I strongly disagree with you that emotional play is a hindrance to good play while intellectual play is a plus. My big issue with the chart is that emotional play and intellectual play are not opposing play styles.

Maybe? I look at it as if it is saying you make decisions with your head, or you make decisions because you are mad/sad/whatever, where making decisions with your head is what you should do because mafia is a thinking game, and making emotional decisions is bad because that isn't how you play mafia. Sure playing emotionally can be good for making people realize you are town, but that can all be faked. Making emotional decisions in mafia is bad making intelectual decisions is good.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

You can make your own chart!

I personally think charts are stupid, circle-jerky, and bound to upset people so I don't see the point.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

this thread is stupid and circle jerky, who cares

i dont disagree with that but im not going to make a chart about it, and I will call all other charts stupid unless they rate me as the golden god of mafia

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Nah dude, gut calls definitely have a place in mafia, it is a social game and going 100% BEEP boop robot loses a lot.

gut feelings aren't emotions

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Ah, they probably fall under the aegis of "intellectual behavior"

Of course it would, gut reads are the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. Nothing emotional about it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I just look at reading emotions/motivations is an intellectual thing, not an emotional thing. I mean if we are going to call that emotional then what is actually intellectual about mafia?

I guess it goes back to what MMM said that the 2 things aren't related

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i mean i guess if what you mean by 'intellectual' is 'something done with the brain' then okay

Just using the definition of intellect:

the faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, especially with regard to abstract or academic matters; the understanding or mental powers of a particular person

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I hate New York

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

so you don't see the difference in the jobs of a detective vs a therapist/counselor in regards to intellect?

I think they are both positions that rely on intellect, do you disagree that therapists are intellectuals?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Would disagree that there are different types of intellect?

Emotional intellect and logical intellect perhaps?

I think intelligence is such a vague concept that many people define many different ways, and there are definitely areas that some people are more intelligent in than others, so I could accept different types of intellect

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

I still prefer my chart for TT's game:

good chart

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

It's not still about 75% scum wins? When did town start picking it up?

i came back from hiatus

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
What percentage of games do you think get added to the mafia wiki?

Our system for adding games to the wiki is really bad and it cannot be considered reliable for anything.

For example, I have played in or modded 8 games since coming back, and only 1 has been added to the wiki.

Perhaps give more people editting rights or something, otherwise lets not pretend its an accurate representation of the games played

JakeP fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2015

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

If only we had a queue to add completed games to the wiki.

I posted the last one I modded to the thread, and it never got added. The system doesn't work very well.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Like i said, its not happening currently the wiki prolly has 15%of games played

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Who cares if the games are in the wiki or not jeez

only brought it up because someone just used the wiki as a basis for saying the town is winning more games, when really the wiki is missing too many recent games to make that observation accurately

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Somberbrero posted:

what if there was a mafia wiki we could actually edit http://samafia.wikia.com/ great let's do that go to work

would be a good start

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

not really.

in previous Discussion Threads before I lost all the fucks I would have to post every month or so reminding people to add their games to the list. the problem is :effort: and has always been.

I think if people had the ability to add their games they would, and understand that people don't want to have to PM someone to do it for them

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

The current wiki had a massive spambot problem (something like a dozen new spam accounts a day who would edit the most popular pages with their spam), so Twelvebaud decided to close registration so he could install new Captcha software or whatever, but unfortunately Twelvebaud disappeared off the face of the earth about the same time. As far as I know there is no way to get in touch with him to transfer ownership over to someone else.

We could just make a new wiki and copy all the content over

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Guys, the old wiki is all ecco has left now that Asiina is the OP. Give her just this one thing.

she can have control of the new wiki if she wants

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Dude, PMing is way easier than going to the wiki, logging in, doing the captcha and adding it. Why are you complaining?

People aren't PMing you but are posting their games to the thread, so perhaps more games would get added if people who read this thread had access to add games.

I know I would rather add my own game than PM someone to do it for me.

Like I am not even complaining, I am pointing out valid problems with the current system which is not doing what it is supposed to at all.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Like Ecco said, most people dont bother, in fact many dont even bother closing their game in votefinder.

Most game results do get posted to this thread though, and most of those games don't make the wiki

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I get that it is cool to keep a record of these types of things, but it is pointless to keep such an incomplete record, that it is almost better to not do the wiki at all if we are content with this level of participation on it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

because people who have access to the wiki dont read through every single post and obsessively make sure they have every game?

the issue is not enough people have access to the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

you can say this as many times as you like and while it's a problem the effect it has on "Games Added to Wiki Percentage" is minimal at best and negligible at worst.

You saying that is as speculative as me saying that if more people had rights it would be better.

I know for one that I mostly keep up with this thread, and would update whenever I saw a game end. I can only speak for myself