Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

BottleKnight posted:

Who's your favorite? I'd love to hear some of your baseball opinions, merk!

Buster Posey is my favorite. He plays the hardest position on the field and makes every pitcher throwing to him better. He also routinely kills it with the bat.

I should probably disclose that I'm a lifelong Giants fan. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Mike Trout is the best baseball player of our generation.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Assuming you are counting Bonds as being in a different generation.

If the 1986 Barry Bonds went into baseball today (without any steroids available), I think he'd be the best baseball player of our generation after a couple years. Although his stat line is really impressive, steroids ruined him.

HOT TAKE: Wade Boggs is the best baseball player of the last generation.

edit: Wade Boggs consistently hit over .300 but never won the MVP title because he didn't take steroids hit home runs.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

But to call Mike Trout best of our generation is a stretch. ARods early career was comparable to Mike Trout and had great longevity. Mike Trout would have to have a very consistent career to be better than him. Sure you can say steroids, but thats a cop out, the pitcers were roided up too

Yeah, you're right. If Trout stays healthy, I think he does it though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I love how Trump uses the wrong your verbally.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think they are great.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/13390821/just-how-good-24-year-old-mike-trout

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am going to do my first magic draft this Tuesday. I've never played Magic before. Is there a quick way for me to learn? I play Hearthstone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I saw 50's resume once. He printed out the last five pages of Lost Mafia as an appendix.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

whenever I go to NYC I always go to this pizza joint off broadway, it's called sbarro and it's the best pizza in the city hands down.

The Sbarro in Chicago is way better.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kumbamontu posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point a bottle of Surge would make my heart explode, but I do miss that deliciousness. Vault was never a good substitute.

http://www.amazon.com/Surge-Citrus-Flavored-Soda-16fl/dp/B00M2OGS08

It's back.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone accused me of doing it the first time. It felt cool to be accused.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Welcome!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Lumpen is a very normal person.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Indiana needs to get its highways in order. This is bullshit.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I hunt scum from time to time.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

bernie is charismatic and all but he's just too old, I'm voting for hillary. aside from age their positions are nearly identical, and she's also more electable. I think she'll be a good president.

Clinton is also old. If she is elected, I think she would be the third or fourth oldest president at time of inauguration (Harrison, Reagan, ?). Of course, that stat is misleading because it doesn't take into account the greater life expectancy today than ever before nor that women have a greater life expectancy than men.

edit: Joe Biden is one year younger than Bernie Sanders, and no one seems to care about Joe's age. The issue with Sanders (which was also the issue with McCain eight years ago) is that he looks fifteen years older than anyone else in the field.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Let's all predict the 2016 presidential race ticket (bold is my winner prediction):
Republican: Jeb Bush / John Kasich
Democrat: Hillary Clinton / Martin O'Malley

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That's probably it. Maybe Carly Fiorina will be a running-mate to get around the bad optics the GOP wrt women

Without looking at any polls, I think women dislike Carly Fiorina.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Why not?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Magnus Gallant posted:

If I'm thinking of the right guy he's racist

You are thinking of 1960/70s Ron Paul. Rand Paul has made some eyebrow-raising comments, but I'm not really sure he's racist. His comments surrounding the Michael Brown shooting and his position on the war on drugs could be interpreted as racist... but also could be interpreted as very not racist. I'm not really sure what's up with him.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

I feel he'd just end up being more divisive leadership, we need a graham cracker prez

The tough news is that I don't think divisiveness will be altered at all based on who gets elected president. Our two-party system feels really broken.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

Pinterest Mom Favorite John Kasich is basically a peaceful golem in a suit

Any likely candidate will probably be that way, though

I think Kasich is the only Republican candidate who can beat Clinton. He will lose to Jeb in the primary and get sucked up as a VP candidate once everyone realizes his mass 'eh, he seems not bad' appeal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I move into my new house on Friday!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

What

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The rest of your post sounded fine, and then you tossed out a 1984 reference. What do I believe?!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think role madness games are usually less fun than non-role madness games. xopods had some Gnomish patent office games that were kind of role madness-like and were a lot of fun. The bottom line is that it's really tough to make a role madness game that is fun for the players because of balance issues and/or lack of agency.

My rule of thumb (and I don't mod very often) is that I try to put myself in the players' shoes with every role that I create. If I'm ever thinking 'haha, this will be so fun to watch," then I am doing it wrong. The question is whether this will be fun to play.

Of course, I've modded like ten total games, three of which were abysmal setup failures. I've played a lot, so my opinion is bias that way.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

I'm actually not that offended or anything, I am probably too busy to run a game anyway. Maybe I'll do it sometime in the future.

You can run an all vanilla setup with fifteen seconds of work each game day/night cycle.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

My name is Nick!

Kumbamontu posted:

hey me too! :hfive:

me three!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

Why has your avatar doubled? Games with you just worse.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok ok ok. My business time has ended (for the time being). Replace me into your game. The first person to send me a role PM gets my replacement.

edit: Are there really only two games running?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Grondemar also ran a WW2 mafia that was pretty interesting. A LONG TIME AGO I thought about creating a historical fiction setting for a series of games based on that game's outcome.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Is it time for a GBS game to try to drive in new recruits?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

this was actually discussed yesterday so maybe

If we get approval, I'm happy to run something. Maybe "MOBA: League of Defense of the Heroes of the Legends Ancients Storm" with LoL heroes as scum, DotA heroes as Town, and a HotS SK.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok. Will Votefinder work in GBS?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It looks like Highwire's 28 person game had some lurking problems. I'm creating a 17 player setup. Is anyone available to glance at a setup to give some thoughts as to whether it is newbie friendly?

merk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 2, 2015

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am ready to open a thread in GBS right now. Someone please look at this setup.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

[Mafia] The MOBA Imbalance: A Mafia Game for New Players is now taking sign ups.

If we can't get enough GBS people in there, we can add some veterans.

edit: If this doesn't kick off, I'm going to ask to run it in Games.

edit edit: Does anyone know the moderator for Games?

merk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 2, 2015

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I tried. Thread closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Unless TNL wants to run a Civil War game, I feel like starting a new mafia universe based on the events that led up to the Civil War. All history prior to the first game's commencement would be intact, but the universe would change based on in-game activity and final results. The first game would start on November 21, 1855 in the Kansas Territory - [The American Dream] 1855's Bleeding Kansas - The Wakarusa War!