Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

how's this thread have 6 pages already :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am not on that list and it makes me sad.

There are a lot of awesome people on that list who don't play anymore, too.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Why would a dick zit be unsettling? Wouldn't it be more uncomfortable? Who is staring at said scrote bump and being unsettled?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I think that I like that chart too although I'm much less of a Slytherin in my daily life. Mafia brings out the worst in me I guess? :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I think a big problem with Firefly is you need to watch it in the aired order, because the original storyline pilot is not great, and also not the first episode that aired, if I remember correctly. I think it's almost better to watch the first aired pilot then go back to Storyline Episode 1 as a flashback or something?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

merk is mafia's tenkai star

weren't you stuck trying to internet a toaster or something

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Haha, that's a funny joke ANarc, you're a real card.

Rarity didn't make him a card don't be a jerk yo

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I have almost flipped a table playing both Dominion and Boss Monster. Everything else I usually have fun with even if I'm losing or even if I'm trying hard to beat all the peoples.

Boss Monster ruins friendships, though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

sometimes i skip several pages of mafia chat and just post like i am now

also i originally wrote ravenclaw chat lol

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hey Meinberg, I still have your:

[Mafialike] Unsealing Chapter 1: Terror in Constantinople

...bookmarked. And apparently it got archived? What happened with that. I can't figure out how to remove it now :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I felt the sudden urge to show up to this thread

Make Cool Hangout Mafia II, MMM, GO!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

EXACT Science, whenever I see your username it reminds me of a line in the musical Next to Normal where the mother is having her prescription changed after a psychotic breakdown and tells the doctor, "[psychopharmacology's] not a very exact science, is it?" Then the chorus lists her medications (and the unintended side effects) to the tune of My Favorite Things.

This doesn't impact you in any way, but I always hum a little when you post.

also that was a p sick burn

I love Next to Normal! Musical theatre buddies with Quid in their name~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also if you guys love musical theatre and aren't homophobic (hopefully nobody in our lovely community!) you should listen to the Fun Home cast recording and focus on it because it's one of the best musicals to come out in a long time.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am a very snobby musical theatre fan because I used to perform a lot and I also direct so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my opinions :v:

Most musicals are pretty ok for a variety of reasons though! Sondheim is the best howevs.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

What's your favorite Sondheim musical?

I didn't realize that you acted in and directed theatre! That's is really cool. I am jealous.

They're all so good for so many different reasons!

I think Passion is his most beautiful score.

Company was the most fun of the different Sondheim shows I've performed in, playing Bobby was a blast and the score is fun and super even all the way through. And I relate to Bobby a lot.

Sunday in the Park with George has the most perfect first act. I'm still trying to figure out the second :)

Sweeney Todd is a masterpiece and probably the closest to perfection he has had.

I also really like Follies, I love the score to Merrily We Roll Along even if the book is pretty awful, I had a really good time performing in A Little Night Music....

I could go on, haha.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I also direct/choreograph/perform. Right now I'm in a lovely community theatre production of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Nice! Who are you playing?

I just music directed Putnam at my new school, second time directing it and third time working with it (I acted in it the first time). It's a fun little show, but I'm kinda done with it for a bit :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Look Under The Rock posted:

For the nerds in this thread, my favorite director at the theatre directed a production of Man of La Mancha set in a psychiatric ward. I ran makeup (which basically ended up being "clean up after everyone and do eyeliner on the 15-year-old muleteer") so I got to hear the show every night and it came out pretty strong. Our theatre is super tiny so the orchestra was out in the lobby with a bunch of mics and a projector screen at the back of the house showing the music director conducting so the cast could see it. It's one of the most fun shows I've ever seen and the creative direction was really cool for community theatre.

Dude, I think I have heard about this production. Where is this theatre located?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Oh lord I am an idiot, there's a link, lol.

I'm actually realizing anyway that the production I'm thinking of was a Pirates of Penzance set in a mental institution that was putting on a production of Pirates of Penzance. A popular setting for shows I guess :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

It's a complete clusterfuck. I was cast as "Trish" Mahoney (also playing God), but I was told I'm doubling Marcy in certain performances, which they are now taking back bc they can't find someone to play Trish/Mitch when I'm Marcy. Also Rona is double cast and Logainne is double cast.

And obviously since I'm a girl, I'm not playing one of Logainne's dads or Olive's dad.

Wow, that does sound like a mess, lol. Our Mitch Mahoney in my most recent production was a girl who played it as a boy. We talked about making her "Midge" or "Madge" Mahoney but she wanted the challenge of playing a man, so we ran with it.

And yeah, understudying can be a loving clusterfuck if you don't plan ahead. When I was in Sweeney Todd I was understudying Anthony, which was all fine and good except that when he lost his voice on the morning of closing matinee we hadn't covered any of my poo poo in the show, and I was in a ton as an ensemble member. I ended up just doing a lot of it, but that was the last time that theatre group didn't rehearse their understudies more, haha.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

It was pretty straightforward I thought.

The first act to me is Character Study perfection and while I understand the trajectory of the second act the reincarnation / Dot appearing to him and him knowing he is George and who she is all of a sudden stuff still kinda throws me for a loop, although I'm probably trying to parse it too literally. I haven't seen it since I was like 19, I should probably watch it again.

I like Assassins a whole bunch too. And Pacific Overtures! Sondheim is good he needs to write another show before he dies.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Because seriously he can't go out on Road Show or Bounce or whatever the hell they're calling that now. I haven't even listened to that show.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I might be around tomorrow! My girlfriend is spending the day with her sister so depending on if she's back and poking me constantly I would be down to play~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

why is this thread so angry

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Mafia thread, I got my ear pierced this weekend and I just ordered a death star and some totoro earrings off of etsy

I am excited to be a nerdy teacher, my students already like my zelda bag with my pokemon badges~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Good morning mafia thread, if you are on the west coast of the USA. Otherwise good "whatever time it is where you are"-ning

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

quote this post and i'll tell you what cheese would go well with you as the wine

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

cheddar

cheddar

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

This New Horizons Pluto poo poo is hella cool and I can't wait for it to keep going into space to take pictures of weird poo poo and maybe aliens!!!!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Asiina posted:

Why does it always rain on grocery day?

Last week I went to replenish the fridge and bought $250 worth of groceries and my girlfriend came home later and was like "none of this is something we can make a meal out of" and I realized I had mostly bought snacks like hummus and salsa.

I am bad at being an adult. :\

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Is this a MOBA?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

IS EVERYONE BUYING THINGS ON AMAZON

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I think people need to stop talking about ethics and talk about something important instead: Does the world need more power ballads? I'm specifically thinking of the late 80s/early 90s hair/glam rock bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, etc.

Yes, they all went to Country Music, and they are alive and well there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AtaZ_NU_tU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Theory: The Cars were the precursor to both grunge and 90s arena rock.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-rdr0qhWk

After the intro and into the verse, notice the use of the odd minor scale switching - it actually is starting out in Harmonic minor but as we can see when we have the resolution of "i kind of lose my mind - yeah" it switches to melodic. This is an odd choice for a bassline. It also sounds like a familiar kind of odd harmonic structure choice we might know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Nirvana had a really clear and different melodic structure, but it really isn't that different than the "innovation" that The Cars are doing there.

We also have very similar crunchy guitarness happening that is similar to another iconic 90s band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcC-cH-xfRk

There you go, how we got from 80s music to grunge and arena rock.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Those two first Weezer albums are so loving good. drat it Cuomo. drat you.

I still know all the lyrics to Pinkerton, that was the angsty "I'm single" album of my adolescence and there was nothing more cathartic than blaring it and just wailing out the words while cruising the highways and by-ways and the nowhere roads of Connecticut in my hand-me-down 1999 Chrysler minivan. What an idyllic youth I had.

The first two Weezer albums are stellar because Cuomo is super awesome at writing what he knows. That's why when he was this older dude who was back in college and trying to deal with all the feels from that he made the incredibly personal and introspective Pinkerton.

Nobody gives a poo poo about how hard it is to be rich and famous because it's not genuine, and really Cuomo doesn't seem to have anything to write about that's not just masturbation because maybe that's what being rich is about? Beverley Hills is a prime example of this, what a loving awful song.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You know their album from last year from the little I listened to it at least sounds like old Weezer although there were still some lyrics that I was like "what the gently caress is this garbage." Did you listen to it and have any opinions?

Between Red Album and Hurley every time a new Weezer album came out I had so much hope. There were parts of the Red Album I liked but then there was that bizarre Quaker Hymn piece and I just didn't understand.

Raditude I literally live texted several of my friends while I was listening to it and with each new track each text went like this

"WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW"
"HOW"
"JUST WHY"
"I DON'T"
"CUOMO"
"ok this track is over it can't get worse from here"
"WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW"

rinse and repeat.

Hurley I actually kinda liked but I think by that point I had just given up completely, like you said.

It can never be again, I guess.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nobody mentioned FFT for having a great soundtrack???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNDH51WNDc

So symphonic~

And of course the best videogame opening of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoyEBlNafnQ

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Sometimes I get really mad playing The Binding of Isaac and yell gently caress

This just happened :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ghosts are real, my mom saw a ghost one time and it's a story that I do not believe she could have easily fabricated or half asleep brain made up unless extreme coincidence or unless she's straight up a liar and I know my mom is not a liar

I believe in ghosts~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Working on your Masters Degree really sucks even when it's internet based and primarily a frustration mid and end of week, especially when it involves applying current education theory in ways that aren't super relevant to your highly specialized Choral Music and AP Music Theory classrooms.

BOOO HOMEWORK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also I got ENFP-A. I've been an ENFP since I first took one of these tests at 17, no surprises there!