Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uranus posted:

capps starved to death cause no one would buy him a pizza

someone should buy me a pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nobody sent me a pizza yet wtf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i guess i'm supposed to post itt because i finished a game

* [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736412 XCOM: Enemy Within] - EXALT victory, by the book. Hosted by Captain Foo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

I can't get up early enough to swim in the morning I always need to wait until after work. also hi thread.

hi

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i need 1-2 replacements for XCOM Mafia II

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CapitalistPig posted:

I'll do it, give me two more roles.

:henget:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao eronarn

now there's a name i haven't heard in years

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

i need 1-2 replacements for XCOM Mafia II

replacement found

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

My ears are burning.

I think it depends the issue at hand. It's pretty hard to move from someone when you know they are lying about something.

I think more people need to swim in the too scummy to be scum ways. It's nice out here and there aren't many people around so it'd be nice to have company.

and boy should they be!

but seriously, the best games are when everyone posts a lot; that's probably a near tautology though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

It's actually called handcuffing. You start your QB and preferably the #1 receiver of that QB. If that team scores a bunch of points chances are so are you.

that's not handcuffing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

merk posted:

There have been some very very good fakeclaims this year (QPQ in Ecco's game two games ago) and some very funny/fail town gambits this year (CCKeane in Ecco's last game was funny to me after seeing him flip), and even some very funny setup decisions this year (Hal as an actual Death Miller like eight months ago which took 10-15 pages of discussion at the town (me mainly) not believing it). If you ignore the major categories, like "Best Town Performance," I think it would be pretty funny to look back on past games in the year. 50 loves bringing up his Survivor gambit in Lost Mafia, and we'd get to reminisce on plays like that for the past year as a community.

i rememebr this death miller, it was ludicrous

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hal claiming Sir Mix A Lot in butt mafia was definitely the world's best fakeclaim

this was fuckin' amazing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

Well I just figured out what you were hinting at and I am a total jackass. I was wondering why the XCOM game had gone so quiet as I wasn't looking at the thread names just new post counts, and I guess now I know why. I won't go cleaning up my bookmarked threads while I have games active again. :v:

ayy lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I haven't really spent any time on other sites, but even reading mafiascum's wiki for role ideas, I get the sense their overall meta is well on the side of open or semi-open setups whereas here almost every game I've run or played has been closed or mostly-closed. What kind of effect does that have on gameplay? Obviously it creates setup speculation as a topic, which is often viewed as scummy because it distracts from actually finding scum. Any other insights?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

The first game I played was Semi-open and it was pretty interesting. MMM listed a bunch of roles and said these are the possible roles, some may be duplicated and some may not appear at all. It allowed for some setup spec chat, but kept it somewhat reined in.

Then he threw us all a curveball by having like 3 or 4 trackers in the game.

this reminds me I recently played in Everyone Is a Tracker and a Rolecop which was true, and also there were plenty of other roles to go around. That was pretty interesting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kumbamontu posted:

if done right anything works

but this doesn't really help us figure out how to design a good game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chaoslord posted:

No spare

The challenge for me was just what you mention: there's so much going on that it can be hard to know what to focus on. I'm used to soccer where focus is rarely not with the ball. Football responsibility has each official take a different area of the field/eligible receiver to worry about, which is a nice way to make sure everything's covered. I was Umpire tonight, so I watched Guard/Center/Guard mostly for false starts and holding. Resisting the urge to just watch where the ball went was the hardest thing. It was a good learning experience.

Never enough refs. Had a longer post but it got eaten by something.apk. thanks for making the game able to be played by reffing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

I read this sentence and thought of you, thread.

"Moving on, Shyamalan would go on to make “The Happening.” The twist in this movie is that Mark Wahlberg was casted to play a person qualified to teach children about science. "

i too read this article, it was pretty funny

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lurking is bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

But aren't the loop parts of 6 and 9 supposed to be the heads and their direction, so a 91 is like a person with their back to their partner who either doesn't have a head or is completely straightened up?

it's someone twerking on a pole

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I'm trying to put your butt to the fire because right now you seem totally unmotivated. do it or don't get mad that I do it first. :colbert: but I would definitely rather play than mod.

Fair Mafia Thread today I went hiking.

I also saw some goats.

overall it was a good day. I do not want to move my body though for many years.

owns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tremendous Taste posted:

My other league is alright tho

:catstare:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

happy bernie day

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rarity posted:

Quote this post to find out with complaint about the Mafia Discussion Thread you are

quotin'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tremendous Taste posted:

I've cooled on trying to convince goons to change but met's report of older players finding the thread a turn-off meshes well with what I heard from players new and old.

That may not really move you but I expect to hear no gnashing of teeth about how the community is dying/needs fresh blood/etc.

this thread is a huge circlejerk imo and i post in yospos cjs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i guess rarity's work is done, lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok here's some mafia theory discusso

i used a Loudmouth-type role for the first time in XCOM II. In that case, I made it a Loudmouth Watcher; the watcher's results would be publicly announced by me on the start of the new day, e.g.

On Night 2, Met was detected near Tremendous Taste!

I thought it was a pretty interesting take on investigative roles. This was a fairly role-heavy game with a lot of ability for people to visit others, but I certainly wouldn't put it on a regular cop. Anyone else use a Loudmouth modifier, what did you think of it?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lumpen posted:

Seems that it strips some strategic depth and player agency out of the game, which lowers the skill level but also potentially some of the tension that makes Mafia compelling. It can be balanced and may be helpful in games where role madness makes things so complex and ambiguous that having Mod Confirmation of certain facts keeps the players from being overwhelmed to the point of total confusion (which kills conversation).
I tend to think that having a Town Role increases the responsibility burden of the player in few ways... by requiring them to choose targets wisely, by requiring them to conceal their role and determine the appropriate time to claim, and by requiring them to use the information gained by the role wisely. Choosing what to announce, what to conceal, and when. Flitering the knowledge through cases, or roleclaiming. And all those parts can make the game more engaging, and also present the other players with things to discuss, whether claims are to be believed, whether results are to be trusted, whether claimed targets are congruent with stated opinions. The Loudmouth drains a lot of that yummy complexity out of the game, and I'm not sure if I can imagine what it adds.

It seems like the Loudmputh mechanic doesn't enhance discussion and player-focused game outcomes, rather tending toward making the outcome rely on automated factors embedded in the setup. This could be seen as a good or a bad thing depending on what players are lookin for in a game. As for me, I prefer maximizing player agency and the impact of player decision-making. I feel the appropriate level of Mod-given info is only the setup details revealed in the OP, and flips. The unconfirmability of role PM's amd night results is an important part of the fun.

Thats a pretty contrarian analysis, I'd be interested in someone making the affirmative case for the role!

I sort of agree with you, in the sense that a lot of interesting things in the game come from someone announcing results and people figuring out how much to trust them, and Loudmouthing the results negates that. The game I used it in, however, was a role-heavy game. I don't know what the threshold is for "madness," but it may have qualified. The other important thing about that game is that only flavor - which did bear resemblance to the role, but often did not explain it completely - and alignment flipped.

A couple of people who were in that game have chimed in so far, but if they'd like to shine any more light on why they liked it (or didn't, if someone else has an opinion) that would be cool too!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look Under The Rock posted:

If only someone would design a game with nothing but trackers and doctors.

jon joe ran Everyone is a RoleCop and Tracker

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CapitalistPig posted:

I hereby pledge to stop telling people they are dumb and calling them idiots during mafia games.

:)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You can't make everybody a tracker, that ruins the tension. Four trackers should be good.

idk it was a pretty fun game, there were some other roles on top of RC+T that everyone was

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I was just joking around because at the same time I ran a game with 4 trackers (jj based rolecop and tracker off of that)

Role and Tracker was fun and incredibly frustrating as scum.

oh, lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I mean meat is murder so

pretty delicious murder imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rugby is cool and good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

as a flanker, I

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Magnus Gallant posted:

Did you make it known before hand that these were results and not an anonymous messenger?

they appeared as results in the same format as kills, e.g.

On Night 2, Magnus Gallant was filled full of lead!
On Night 2, Asiina was detected near Allen Wren.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

shoulda made it a miller godfather. "you would normally investigate as scum but because you're a godfather you'll investigate as town."

make them a reverse death miller, too.

the role I am most disappointed didn't get used in a game I ran was one I called an "Eradicator." They had the ability (after certain conditions were met) to erase someone's existence from the game. The player would be told they died, but they would not be flipped in-thread. Instead they'd be removed from the OP, and all references to them erased from my mod doc. Had they been brought up post-game I'd have played dumb. "Pinterest Mom never played this game."

Alas we do not live in the best of all possible worlds.

that is amazing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I think every game should have one new or rarely used role just for integration purposes, always nice to see what could work and what wouldn't work in future games.

the XCOM II game that had the Loudmouth Watcher had a ton of experimental roles in it; it was pretty interesting IMO but i might be biased.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Allen Wren posted:

It's official, I'm stressed out---I saw my name in this post and had an immediate reaction of OH GOD WHAT DID I DO WHY ARE THEY YELLING AT ME

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

does anyone want to look at a setup for me