Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I thought that would have massive response and avoided signing up but that was dumb and I have rectified it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

In my head I am Slytherin, in reality I am probably Hufflepuff too boring and insubstantial to ever make one of these charts.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

bowmore posted:

do the pottermore test and find out for real

I did it in the past and got Slytherin (but that is probably what I wanted to get).

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I would think that has to be a stalemate/nobody wins. Maybe call it a "Moderator Victory"?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

If I were making a game with scum and SK both I might also make their kills different priorities rather than simultaneous.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am falling into the trap of TT's condescending schtick.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Please appreciate that pig and I are refusing to make a list to you for similar yet entirely separate ideological reasons

This is not surprising because it is way more vague and open ended than asking for favorites. Is the "best" supposed to reflect the quality we find most important (which is what TT is actually asking)? A film could be the most influential on other films, socially influential, well shot, directed, edited and acted, or even just make the most money since that is the ultimate goal of the industry, and be considered the "best". I am not sure I could pick one or even a film that encapsulated all of those well and think it was the best. I even appreciate CPig's take that the quality that makes films be the best are the ones that resonate most with him.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

JakeP posted:

imho you have to be very pretentious to call a movie you do not actually like the best movie

I am not saying it is the best but as a counterexample that popped in my mind, something like Schindler's List might be a film that would be called hard to like, or even one you might not want to see more than once, but still be a great film. I think that might depend upon how the film is eliciting the response, where even evoking boredom might be intentional and reflect positively on the film.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Everybody name the last movie to make you cry

Inside Out got me pretty close and I was a bit ashamed since Pixar films are so manipulative.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

That is both very cool and surprising it only happened now.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I just started watching the first season recently, and it is a difficult show to binge watch. It is really good in small doses (so far).

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I think any cultural division of the US beyond Urban/Suburban/Rural is increasingly a stretch.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Ernie. posted:

haha

this thread is the worst part of high school right now

The best/worst part about high school is being a teacher, which often does involve having to overhear those discussions so yeah I agree.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

What makes 11 a lot better than 9? I always liked 9 because it is like starting in the middle of the game, and adds some urgency to it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Here's an idea I had. A game with one deadline: the end of the game. After like two weeks or whatever the game ends, but there are no day night deadlines so the players have to actually hammer on their own time.

I do like this, but I would worry about participation without deadlines and how it might encourage quick bandwagon lynches. It would be worth an experiment.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Asiina posted:

11 typically isn't better than 9. 2 scum is too few and 3 scum is too many.

I think I was just confused about why you brought it up since I always tried to design a game around numbers, but I guess it is just the reality now that you just have to work with what you get, and in that bind how to work around the problem of only 11 players. That and I just really like 9 player games.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It might be cool to make an experimental game with both the hard game deadline and time travel. Even if it isn't balanced or doesn't quite work right, something like that could be fun.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

I've done it. there is predictably a huge crunch in the final few days. sometimes they make it sometimes they don't.

Yeah, that is not surprising given the nature of play-by-post and not everyone being around simultaneously. Getting players aware of that so that they avoid it or make their own deadlines might work.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Rip in peace roddy piper

They Live was a great film, if nothing else.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

That's why you grow your own.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I get where you are coming from, but it was easy to see that something that was basically an android phone that required a TV and had other severe limitations was going to struggle. It wouldn't even make sense to make exclusives for it because it was designed to be easy to port games to. I am more bummed by the slow and quiet death of the PS Vita, because that is a really cool device that was almost immediately abandoned from its potential.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Marlene is a very comely woman.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Nah, Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland rule, sorry.

(I've not seen most of the episodes of Rick and Morty)

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I always like Opop games (he prioritizes fun), but another mod with a similar style who never got as much credit was bowmore. DBD also was good at making fun games.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

choose your own fate mafia. when you sign up, please PM me whether you would like to win or lose.

What if I want a stalemate instead?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Opopanax posted:

I still need someone with a U.S. Address to help act as a middle man for something. I'll pay for shipping and buy you something on Amazon in thanks

I would have but you really didn't want someone that far away from you to do it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I'm still waiting on my apology, Diqnol. You know what you did.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

BottleKnight posted:

Sometimes I get really upset that our elections are so long compared to other countries.

But for centuries the political party establishment just chose who was gonna be president. It's better to have this process, as prolonged as it is. Just so we can be hugely disappointed in whoever comes into office.

I am not that sure we really have all that much control now either, but it is nice that we have to at least vet them through elections I suppose. Ones like the 2010 state legislature elections were probably more important to presidential elections than any other, and it only takes a small amount of money to influence those greatly because nobody is really that invested in them. The only thing less effective than voting is not voting so I'll probably keep doing it, but the continuous, intense focus on the least important election makes it hard for me to care much.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I sent a PM but I also probably won't get around to signing up until the weekend.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am signed up for the Fantasy league now.

Team Name: Grand Theft Amiibo

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Make your abbreviation something similar to your username so we know who is who please

Both my abbreviation and team icon should help. Also the name was meant to evoke my username here.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Even if you believe they are irredeemable, life in prison without parole still exists. The state being uniquely allowed to murder people, justifiably or not, has always bothered me as well.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Magnus Gallant posted:

I usually dont think the death penalty is right only because of the chance that someone who is innocent is put to death (like the dude who was accused of burning his family to death that has basically been exonerated after his execution like 10 years ago in Texas) but in this situation I feel like these kids shouldn't be allowed to exist to impose further harm on this society. The fact that two of the four had sex while the victim was taking his last breaths in the shallow grave they dug him, and that this was all over some money makes me think they should probs die.

Yeah, Cameron Todd Willingham's story is pretty awful, especially how even his wife turned against him, but a lot of people were pretty convinced that the arson investigation was credible and that he burned his children to death, and the evidence since probably hasn't convinced a lot of people even had they still been paying attention.

This story does sound horrifying, but that same reasoning leads to people like Cameron dying as well.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah which is why I am not usually for the death penalty. loving near a dying human is sick though

It is a bit like the ACLU defending Neo-Nazis and the KKK because when you forego rights of certain groups because you don't like their message; it is easy for that to be used to suppress the rights of a group that might actually be good and you would support. I get that you find this instance to be really exceptional, but I think a lot of death penalty supporters would say the same thing about a wide variety of instances you might not agree with.

I get why you feel that way and I can even understand why people support the death penalty as used in places like Texas, where I reside, but I personally would feel much more comfortable living in a world where it was abolished entirely.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Kumbamontu posted:

I also know less than nothing about football.

In a league like this the most important thing is the draft, and ESPN will have rankings of players left as each pick you have comes up. If you are pretty good about filling out holes in your roster, you should end up with a decent enough draft roster. Weekly you just need to make sure you aren't playing anyone who has a bye week or injury, and maybe pick up someone if you can't play anyone in a position; you can also look at bye weeks while drafting and work around it there.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543410

The one game I played as a traditional SK. I killed half the scum team myself but the mechanics gave town a few one shot day cops that finally got me. At least I outsurvived all the scum.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I work with a lot of kids who are addicts and you can tell they make real connections with my coworkers who are also addicts and got help. A lot of them swear by meetings and are heavily involved decades later, and others maybe they helped a little but stopped and found another way. If going to meetings helped I think you should really try it again, and there definitely won't be a more forgiving place for "failing".

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Magnus Gallant posted:

If the only way to get into heaven was to allow God to poo poo in your mouth, would you get into heaven?

What's the alternative?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I was really hoping for nonexistence.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think my secret shame is having read Infinite Jest and not having either not enjoyed it or not understood it. I think I bring this up every time we do bookchat. I'd prefer to think I didn't understand it because, if I did that means that I just didn't really care for it. Unfortunately because it's so long I really won't be re-reading it for many years to come if ever. For a book that's in many ways 3 books in one I did enjoy the passages about AA. The tennis and the international intrigue didn't much do it for me in the end.

Part of the book is that way too much is going on to follow in a single read and it is a book meant to be reread, but if you didn't really get much out of it round one, yeah you probably just don't like it. I really like it but it definitely doesn't resonate with everyone and it is amusing you feel like you should like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Dugong posted:

My least favourite read was Tess of the d'Urbervilles. It didn't help that the English teacher would say "as you can tell from this foreshadowing, major plot point X is obviously going to happen"

I hated it in school and did not get more than a third of the way through it. I also remember a lot of our discussion in class of it being about all the biblical allusions, etc. I went to it again a few years ago, remembering how much I hated it and regretting that since I liked almost everything I read in school and being one of the few I could not finish, and I actually really enjoyed it. In my case, I think I just had not been exposed to enough Victorian era literature in school so the prose itself was just a chore. It was honestly baffling to me going back to that novel what exactly had made it so difficult to make it through.