Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

reformed bad troll posted:

I have read this whole thread in the space of an hour and I must state my disgust at arguably the worst thread in the history of TRP.

Well what's your suggestion then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Forbid league structures that only allow promotion depending on playoffs. A team can top one of La Liga Segunda B's four subdivisions for years but get consistently passed over b/c they're not up for a "cup final" as well as having to top the league.

Compare that to non-league where the subdivision winner goes up *and* there are playoffs for the runner-ups.

Edit: while we're on a La Liga tip, ban the use of reserve teams down in the league pyramid :mad:

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 15, 2015

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jyrka posted:

Eat the munchy box.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Edit: while we're on a La Liga tip, ban the use of reserve teams down in the league pyramid :mad:

Why? Seems like a pretty good way to introduce youth player into adult football.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

jyrka posted:

Why? Seems like a pretty good way to introduce youth player into adult football.

It's also a good way for more entrenched teams to use their financial clout to lord it over those without, alienate participants in smaller leagues, and ruin the atmosphere. You might as well let big teams buy out smaller ones to be used as feeder clubs. Why not benefit all existing parties and put them out on loan instead?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

It's also a good way for more entrenched teams to use their financial clout to lord it over those without, alienate participants in smaller leagues, and ruin the atmosphere. You might as well let big teams buy out smaller ones to be used as feeder clubs. Why not benefit all existing parties and put them out on loan instead?

I thought no one liked loans any more.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

jyrka posted:

What's wrong with it as it is now?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
more electrocution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKva8GUwBk&t=100s

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
you're not allowed to support a team unless you sign up to an obligatory big brother little brother scheme where a seasoned veteran teaches you all the chants and all the memes to ensure the right and proper legacy lives on. we must protect our children from undesirables.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

8raz posted:

you're not allowed to support a team unless you sign up to an obligatory big brother little brother scheme where a seasoned veteran teaches you all the chants and all the memes to ensure the right and proper legacy lives on. we must protect our children from undesirables.

We don't give a crud.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I've been thinking about it and I'm now sure that having reserve teams in the league system is better than having the youngsters away on loan. It keeps the players with the team who is interested in developing them(rather than save a poo poo team from getting relegated from League 1) and it keeps them close to the main team and they could get a few matches here and there. Only downside I can think is it will look a bit silly having Chelsea win the Premiership and Chelsea 2 win the Championship.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jyrka posted:

I've been thinking about it and I'm now sure that having reserve teams in the league system is better than having the youngsters away on loan. It keeps the players with the team who is interested in developing them(rather than save a poo poo team from getting relegated from League 1) and it keeps them close to the main team and they could get a few matches here and there. Only downside I can think is it will look a bit silly having Chelsea win the Premiership and Chelsea 2 win the Championship.

This but Sunday league pub teams

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

jyrka posted:

Instead of "Big Team B" in the lower leagues, make it so that Big Team can sign "reserve contracts" with one Small Team per league (so could be just one or could be one per division) and give them money and loan players in exchange of them giving play experience to said players. This would be a win-win imo and could allow Chelsea to own 500 players but all of them get playing time and small teams benefit from dirty oil money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Simone Poodoin posted:

Instead of "Big Team B" in the lower leagues, make it so that Big Team can sign "reserve contracts" with one Small Team per league (so could be just one or could be one per division) and give them money and loan players in exchange of them giving play experience to said players. This would be a win-win imo and could allow Chelsea to own 500 players but all of them get playing time and small teams benefit from dirty oil money.

This is actually a pretty good idea.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

This is the type of relationship a lot of MLS teams have with USL teams (although there are some "Team B/II" teams in USL also).

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

It's the old feeder-parent club thing, innit. I think for whatever reason it's been mostly stopped. I know Vitesse are tied to Chelsea right now and the fans aren't liking it much.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

Doesn't Chelsea essentially do this with Vitesse? I feel like it would be bad for fans of the smaller team as they essentially become big teams dumping ground. The "smaller" team should be able to cut ties after an amount of time, at the least.

I guess I should make this clearer, I think a scheme like this, while good financially, robs a team of its identity and that sucks.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's true, I guess there should be restrictions on how many Big Team players can be in the squad and also maybe Big Team can finance the Small Team academy in exchange for first choice or a discount when buying prospects

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I thought about it and I don't like FIFA and UEFA ruling over all football. I think having some competition would be good for football. Some free market capitalism as it were.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jyrka posted:

I thought about it and I don't like FIFA and UEFA ruling over all football. I think having some competition would be good for football. Some free market capitalism as it were.

have you considered FIFpro and their recent challenge about the transfer system being a good idea?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

have you considered FIFpro and their recent challenge about the transfer system being a good idea?

I have not. But I have reflexively defended the current system. I'm worried about even more power going to the elites and lower level football getting completely killed off. Besides, FIFpro is a scam by some homo Dutch lawyers anyway.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just have FIFA overseen by drunk cunts mashing buttons in a pub every week voting on whatever needs to be sorted out at the time

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Ban taking headers.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/01/football-heading-brain-damage

quote:

the forces generated by heading back goal-kicks and goalkeeper’s punts were much higher than expected. Some registered at between 50g and 100g – similar to American Football players crashing into each other or punches thrown by boxers. What’s more, as Nauman explains: “The percentages of 100g hits was effectively the same between women’s college soccer and American Football, which really surprised us. And while American Football players tend to take more hits overall in a given practice session and game, the college soccer players were getting hit every day and so it evened out.”

Of greater significance still are the results of the MRI scans on these women’s players, which are currently under peer review. As Nauman explains: “We looked at how the blood vessels responded to these headers, and the players who were in the top half for hits taken you could see their vasculature was damaged. These are things that can heal, but they need rest.”

And that is the key. Rest. A football shouldn’t necessarily be dangerous. But if you head away thunderbolt shots or goalkeeper’s clearances regularly there is a risk that the brain can suffer several sub-concussive injuries – those impacts with no readily observable symptoms that can cause injury to the brain.

These can even be more serious than heavy collisions which leave players foggy and groggy. As Nauman explains, “If you actually compare the brains of people who have taken lots of sub-concussive hits to ones that have taken a single big hit, the sub-concussive brains often look worse. I don’t think people appreciate that yet.”

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I'd much prefer to ban Americans that go on and on about concussions.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Prefer that to people who murder their entire family and then themselves. Concussions are serious business and Football is shockingly bad in thier treatment of them. Each game in the top flights should have an independent doctor and if he determines there was a concussion then team gets a free sub but the subbed player is automatically out of the next match.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Which footballer murdered their entire family and then themselves? Concussions aren't an issue in football.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
only fags care about concussions in sports.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Put a loving helmet on Costa, nobody wants to see that face

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Concussions don't cause CTE. Steroids and painkillers do. Don't believe the lib media lies. They just want male aggression banned.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
gently caress... Imagine the great contributions to science, art and philosophy we've lost because ex-footballers and NFL players aren't operating at their full potential.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Taylor Twellman Wore A Bra During The Murders

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Hell, if anything, we should be giving football players more concussions

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Prefer that to people who murder their entire family and then themselves. Concussions are serious business and Football is shockingly bad in thier treatment of them. Each game in the top flights should have an independent doctor and if he determines there was a concussion then team gets a free sub but the subbed player is automatically out of the next match.

Don't think this is true, do you watch football?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

LionYeti posted:

Each game in the top flights should have an independent doctor and if he determines there was a concussion then team gets a free sub but the subbed player is automatically out of the next match.

How does the independent doctor rule that there was a concussion, particularly when the research article says that the majority of concussions in football wouldn't be detectable? What happens if a doctor suspects a player has a concussion then later tests show he didn't, does he still have to miss the next game? Does this apply to cup games? What about all the poor lower league footballers who don't get the benefits of this regime, will they be forced to continue going home and murdering their families?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Skinty McEdger posted:

How does the independent doctor rule that there was a concussion, particularly when the research article says that the majority of concussions in football wouldn't be detectable? What happens if a doctor suspects a player has a concussion then later tests show he didn't, does he still have to miss the next game? Does this apply to cup games? What about all the poor lower league footballers who don't get the benefits of this regime, will they be forced to continue going home and murdering their families?

It still seems like a good rule, regardless of whether it's going to be effective 100%. If the independent doctor suspects a concussion, take the player off. If it's confirmed, the player can't play for X amount of time.

There's no way of applying at every league level, but the (financial) stakes are at their highest at the top levels thus increasing the chance someone will try and play on with a suspected head injury.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

The gently caress are you on about?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I think he's talking about the wrestler. You see, when people kill people, it's only because of concussions, and there aren't actually other factors at play.

Having said that if that research showing repeated minor impacts including headers are slushing peoples brains has been reviewed and it's good poo poo, then I don't really see how football will avoid at least an independent team doing monthly checkups, and the sooner it decides to do it the less time people can scream about drs giving teams additional subs. If there's a problem, football people should be prepared to address it instead of complaining when non-football people make the changes and inevitably do so in an awful way.

Also dr's absolutely need to be able to tell managers to gently caress off because the AVB incident was a loving farce, and glorified PE teachers should not be telling medical professionals what to do.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sweek0 posted:

It still seems like a good rule, regardless of whether it's going to be effective 100%. If the independent doctor suspects a concussion, take the player off. If it's confirmed, the player can't play for X amount of time.

There's no way of applying at every league level, but the (financial) stakes are at their highest at the top levels thus increasing the chance someone will try and play on with a suspected head injury.

This is all well and good until Italian teams start bribing doctors to substitute all the other team's best players.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I haven't headed a football in years what its like heading the new lighter post-jabulani balls I imagine its like heading a cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan's 16 year old goalkeeper knocked out his own center back with his knee last match and the medical response was appropriate and nobody is bitching and moaning about any of it which is why Serie a is good.

• Locked thread