Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Personally I think it's time to start considering some kind of shot clock. We seem to be reaching a point basketball reached before it introduced a shot clock; so often teams just keep possession aimlessly rather than making a genuine attempt on goal while the other team is content to just park the bus. Obviously, a shot-clock based on possession wouldn't work in football because teams would just kick the ball out of play but it could work if it alternated between the two teams regardless of who had possession.

What about the rest of you? How do you think football could be made less defensive? What other changes do you think the Laws of the Game desperately need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

chuggo is BACK posted:

Personally I'd like to see points awarded for having more shots on target, it would force teams to shoot more and be more clutch about their SoT ratio

Do you mean points as in league points or awarding goals for a certain amount of shots on target?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

advanced statsman posted:

Thanks for this thoughtful thread. Personally, I'd like:

• 4 quarters instead of two halves
  • Goal areas that award different amounts of points [5/2/1/2/5]
  • Video replays for fouls and stopping the time for discussing penalties
  • Cheerleaders
  • Better integration with FIFA stats
  • More advanced stats: The advanced stats community is constantly providing the best frame of reference for soccer
  • Cthulhu kittens!!! Haha, just joking :v:

Let me know what you think!

I'm neither American nor do I like any American sports, I just think it's worthwhile to maybe take some ideas that might have worked elsewhere. What's wrong with video replays then?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Clearly you don't like the foot either so idk what this thread is about.

I actually do. I just don't want to see another world cup final like 2010.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Because it was poo poo.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

meat CRime posted:

Good thread, OP. Sorry stuff here gets poo poo on instantly, but we lack moderation lol.

Personally, I'd like to see 3rd/4th place playoff games done away with completely. It's not original by any extent, but nobody gives a gently caress who gets 3rd/4th so lets gently caress off with it, yeah?

Mostly yeah but then there's occasions when a smaller team gets knocked out at the semi-final. Although if you think the 3rd/4th match is bad, Blatter was considering introducing a consolation plate tournament for teams that got knocked out of the first round.

Well, besides being poo poo for entertainment value I don't think either side deserved to be there. The only reason Spain's tactics worked is because Holland didn't properly go all-out defend and literally stick all 11 men on the goal line.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Polidoro posted:

What's wrong with defending op?

Nothing, I like it. But there's no defending without attack.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

People forget lately that sports is #1 about being entertaining. Most of the time soccer isn't anymore.

Teams should both get 0 points for games that finish 0-0

Go have a cry somewhere else dude lol

If you did that teams would probably just have gentlemen's agreements to let the game go to 1-1 asap.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

meat CRime posted:

Op, I like your idea of a shotclock, but football is so much better than basketball. How would it work?

Well in basketball it changes when the other team gets possession but in football that would lead to teams just booting it out so I figure it'd be better if the clock only went onto the other team after a shot on target has been made. Also, the time would have to be a lot longer, maybe 5 minutes or more? If the clock runs out before they've had a shot on target then the "defending" team (ie. the one without the shot clock) would get a penalty.

Alain Post posted:

To solve the doping problem, all Spanish clubs and players should be banned, as should the Spanish national team in international play.

I'll agree with this once Catalonia gets independence.

Arquebus posted:

Destroy the loving rule for getting booked if you take off your shirt in a celebration.

While I agree that it's a stupid rule I think anyone who still does it deserves a booking for the stupidity of it.

Dollas posted:

Narrower penalty area.

Why?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I'm all for improving the game if there's a reasonable suggestion, but giving a penalty for the other team not having a shot on target every few minutes is a really, really bad idea. Since penalties are a virtually guaranteed goal, this would likely lead to at least some teams parking eleven men behind the ball, defending like their lives depended on it, and giving the ball back to the other team if they somehow won it, just because if they can block every shot for five minutes they get a free goal. Mourinho would win every game 10-0 with 0% possession. Why bother attacking when if you defend long enough you get handed a golden scoring opportunity?

Well after they scored the penalty, they would have the shot clock running against them. Teams will realise it'll make sense to counter-attack whenever the other team has the clock ticking against them. As for parking eleven men behind the ball, maybe also make it a rule that a defender touching the ball in his own 6-yard box counts as a shot on goal for te other team.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

mackintosh posted:

death penalty for scoreless draws

How about a 2-0 forfeit for fielding an ineligible player? :laugh:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

A European Premier League with relegation to the national leagues.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

I'd like to see tighter rules for what national team you can play for to stop cunts like Diego Costa

It used to be that if you represented a country at any level you had to stick with it. At the very least I think you shouldn't represent a country in an age bracket you've already represented another country at.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Cascarino, Lawrinson, Houghton, Townsend, Aldridge, Dunne...

E: More to the point, how many of the Ireland team speak their native language?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

Their native language is English. So none of them properly

Most of the Englnd team would be hosed too.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Allow throw-ins to be kick-ins. Can't score directly but you can float it in. Reckon we'll see more goal action this way, and also pressures players to keep the ball in.

If they really wanted to see more goals a la lovely American sports they could just make the goal bigger.

I defo think we should make keepers do more though.

But what about the freaks like Rory Delap?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Have a qualifying round for teams like san marino to get into World Cup/Euro qualification.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Monday Bandele posted:

This would be the single biggest thing that would reduce the apathy towards international football in Europe

Instead UEFA decide to include Gibraltar

What happened to the FIFA policy of only allowing sovereign states to start playing football? How long is it before we see Aaland Islands vs. Ceuta?

Anyway, wait to you see wht they're doing for Euro 2020. Besides holding the tournament in 13 different countries (which I think is actually a neat idea) there's going to be a parallel qualifying tournament called the UEFA Nations League. The basic qualifying tournament will be roughly the same; 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams with the top 2 qualifying for the finals. That leaves 4 spots for the Nations League one for the best team from each league not yet qualified through the normal qualification. And the leagues will be based on rankings at first with promotion and relegation, not that there's much point in getting promoted since the chances of qualifying are the same in each league- oh except the top league has the prestigious final four.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2191264.html#nations+league+format

What annoys me most about this is that UEFA got a potentially good idea but rather than running with it just half-assed it and now there'll be extra matches without significantly changing who's likely to be in the final tournament. What they could have done was keep the current format (9 groups of 6) and have the groups based on ranking and with promotion and relegation, ie. maybe 3 leagues of 2 groups of 6 and a bottom league with 3 groups. The higher leagues get more places so that promotion to a higher league actually means something and also the matches are more competitive. So there might be a group with Andorra, San Marino, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and the Faroes but there would only be one playoff spot whereas a group with say Spain, Germany, Russia, Croatia, Portugal and Italy would have 3 automatic places and 3 play-off spots with the bottom placed team being relegated for the next qualifying tournament.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

sassassin posted:

Ban international football

Nah. If anything I'd force club teams to only have players from their own region.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

JFairfax posted:

the League of Nations didn't work so well last time

Danzig vs. Fiume anyone?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

The World Cup would be cut in half though.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Have 64 teams

People would go nuts doing brackets

Why would they go nuts?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

No, I just don't know what you mean by "doing brackets".

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I'd also like to see the final whistle blown once the ball goes out of play like they do in rugby.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

beedeebee posted:

I know we're supposed to post wacky ideas itt, but they should punish players for crowding the ref. Or the stupid 'I just tackled someone and now I'm casually jogging away, totally ignoring the referee. I'll jog some more and accidentally turn my head when the ref tries to say something to me and pretend I don't notice he's there'-thing.

Maybe they should book the captain if a team does this.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yellow cards for players who pick up the ball and run away from fouls to prevent the opposition from taking quick free kicks.

I'd like to see some consistency to whether quick free kicks are allowed or not.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

In knockout matches, have shoot-outs at the start of a game. That way there'll be no games where both teams will be playing for penalties.

Also maybe have shoot-outs in group stages of WC+EC. It would be a better tie-breaker than goal difference imo.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

Abolish draws altogether, have a shootout at the end of every draw with the winner getting 2 points and the loser 1. Everyone wants to see goals, that way no-one will be disappointed with a 0-0 because they still get to see people score

Don't give any points to the loser since they still get rewarded. If draws were abolished I'd rather see the points going to the team with the most shots on target before it went to penalties; 3 point for a win on goals, 2 for shots on target and 1 for penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Agreed. Gas thread, ban OP.

But I've been serious??

e: also I'd like to see a team play on a 49mx50m pitch. Does anyone know if there's a rule that stops the home team changing their pitch dimensions depending on who they were playing?

Benny Harvey fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread