Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This isn't a rules thing, because I think the game on the pitch is fine, but it would be good if the financial fair play rules were actually enforced. PSG being cleared of all FFP infractions is a joke.

Maybe clubs should just be banned from signing absurd sponsorships like pot noodle partners in Malaysia or from receiving 0% loans from their billionaire owners that will never be paid back.

The only thing wrong with football is the amount of money involved, and I say that as someone who supports a team that was bankrolled by an rear end in a top hat millionaire and benefitted greatly from all of these financial tricks.

meat CRime posted:

Good thread, OP. Sorry stuff here gets poo poo on instantly, but we lack moderation lol.

The last time I moderated you had an insane meltdown about fantasy sports so I thought I was doing you a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Monday Bandele posted:

If you don't speak your native language with the accent of that country you shouldn't be allowed to play for them

RIP Cassano and Carragher.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brighterday posted:

The problem with more subs/bigger benches is that it favors the rich teams that can afford to have stronger benches since they can throw away money on large wages for better players to sit on the bench. I like the idea but I can see how it might lead to less parity in the league.

The rich teams already have stronger starting lineups and also better facilities and staff. It's already hosed.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Don't start with concussion chat in here, only warning.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jyrka posted:

Ban foreigners from owning clubs.

Unironically this.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

First two seconds of this is the best video I could find at the moment and it'll probably get nuked by UEFA soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZeImkR8V4

Nailed on penalty for me, his arm is totally horizontal from his body.

That's clear as day, is the media saying it's not?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jyrka posted:

I agree, that would be a potential problem.

I wish soccer experimented more with different ideas. There are so many leagues. It wouldn't hurt if occasionally different small pointless ones like MLS or SPL tried out different things for a season or two.

Some minor leagues do it. There are different rule interpretations in Serie B most years than in Serie A. For example, this year they've introduced a card system that rewards players for fair play. I don't think anyone has seen one yet since Serie B is mostly about killing the other players but it's a new idea. The player with the most of these cards at the end of the season wins some sort of prize I think. Now that I typed that out I realize it's pretty dumb, but it's an experiment anyway.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

witz posted:

There already is an 'unofficial' clock for all restarts (and a slightly more official one for keeper kicks). Slightly delaying is gamesmanship, yes, but you can get cautioned for it. I think a United player got a yellow for it against Wolfsburg the other day. It just isn't enforced enough.

This happens more in Europe than in domestic leagues, and it's almost always worth it for the keeper to stall and gain a minute instead of putting the ball back in play, even if it means a yellow. It's the most obvious form of time wasting, which is why you see it cautioned more than faking an injury or arguing a call.

Suqit posted:

There should be a shot clock for goal kicks. Once a goal kick is awarded, you have to kick it within 15 seconds or its a corner. This would speed up the game immensely.

I like this idea.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Instead of "Big Team B" in the lower leagues, make it so that Big Team can sign "reserve contracts" with one Small Team per league (so could be just one or could be one per division) and give them money and loan players in exchange of them giving play experience to said players. This would be a win-win imo and could allow Chelsea to own 500 players but all of them get playing time and small teams benefit from dirty oil money.

Doesn't Chelsea essentially do this with Vitesse? I feel like it would be bad for fans of the smaller team as they essentially become big teams dumping ground. The "smaller" team should be able to cut ties after an amount of time, at the least.

I guess I should make this clearer, I think a scheme like this, while good financially, robs a team of its identity and that sucks.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Milan's 16 year old goalkeeper knocked out his own center back with his knee last match and the medical response was appropriate and nobody is bitching and moaning about any of it which is why Serie a is good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jyrka posted:

A good idea from Raymond Verheijen:

This is essentially the ACN if you think about it, and we all hate that. I guess if everyone was doing this it would be different, I kind of like the idea so we can get all this poo poo out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Well the reason we all hate the ACN is because it's done during the European leagues' season and takes players away from clubs. If the ACN was held in the northern hemisphere summer it wouldn't be an issue.

I completely misread the post, for some reason I thought it was suggesting taking a big break during the season to do this even though it explicitly states "in the summer".

• Locked thread