Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
An extra sub allowed if there's an extra time, I think is a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Brighterday posted:

The problem with more subs/bigger benches is that it favors the rich teams that can afford to have stronger benches since they can throw away money on large wages for better players to sit on the bench. I like the idea but I can see how it might lead to less parity in the league.

League matches don't have extra time.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Ban foreigners from owning clubs.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Ban everyone making ironic shitpost suggestions. Ban everyone who isn't serious about improving soccer.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Messyass posted:

Serious answer: salary cap

That is horrible.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Just thought of a thing - most penalties are completely unfair and disproportionation. You can get a penalty if you foul a player whilst there is no threat on goal whatsoever or if there is a lovely little handball in the corner of the box. More indirect free kicks, I say.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That is the kind of stuff I was talking about earlier. There was little threat on goal. In my opinion the rules should be changed so it'd be an IFK and a yellow card. A penalty is much too harsh.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

That's reasonable, but adds way to much subjective judgement imo

I agree, that would be a potential problem.

I wish soccer experimented more with different ideas. There are so many leagues. It wouldn't hurt if occasionally different small pointless ones like MLS or SPL tried out different things for a season or two.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

It's a ball into the box wtf are you on about?

Jesus. Sorry that my example is related to Manchester United. It's not personal.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Here's my new rule: no more bullshit!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Have I mentioned my serious idea of Europe-wide football pyramid here yet?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Probably be better if it were 15 seconds from when the goalkeeper gets the ball from the ballboy or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah the sport is in serious decline from an entertainment standpoint. I used to wake up early to watch games.. The light has gone out of my life.

I disagree. Football is an entertaining, powerful experience.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Here's a change for football: stop allowing England have 4 teams out! It's ridiculous. One country, one team - that's what I always say. Maybe that's why they never do well in major tournaments. Because Gareth Bale plays for Wales not England.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

mackintosh posted:

We used to have this in the 80s. 1 point for a draw, 2 for a win and 3 for a win by 3 goals or more.

I like this more than giving teams an incentive to just start the match at 3-3. That is just silly. Maybe also give teams -1 points for losing by 3 goals or more so the losing team is interested in the match as well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

There should be 3 things: Europe-wide football pyramid, national cup competitions, Europe-wide cup competition. Maybe a super cup for the winners of the top league and the European cup.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

A Europe wide football pyramid would become regional after about 2 divisions because most clubs are broke as gently caress and couldn't afford the cost of travelling round the continent every other week

Yes. I've thought maybe 3-4 but it could be 2.

I'm offended that you though I suggested just throwing all the teams in the same pot. Not much would change for the likes of current lower league England or Finland and other places like that.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Well, a few super leagues, then a few regional ones, then mostly the same we have now.

Some places have occasionally tried the regional thing but since UEFA do not allow allocation of the European spots(and therefore the money) to regional leagues there is very little interest for the teams to do well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

reformed bad troll posted:

I have read this whole thread in the space of an hour and I must state my disgust at arguably the worst thread in the history of TRP.

Well what's your suggestion then?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Edit: while we're on a La Liga tip, ban the use of reserve teams down in the league pyramid :mad:

Why? Seems like a pretty good way to introduce youth player into adult football.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

It's also a good way for more entrenched teams to use their financial clout to lord it over those without, alienate participants in smaller leagues, and ruin the atmosphere. You might as well let big teams buy out smaller ones to be used as feeder clubs. Why not benefit all existing parties and put them out on loan instead?

I thought no one liked loans any more.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I've been thinking about it and I'm now sure that having reserve teams in the league system is better than having the youngsters away on loan. It keeps the players with the team who is interested in developing them(rather than save a poo poo team from getting relegated from League 1) and it keeps them close to the main team and they could get a few matches here and there. Only downside I can think is it will look a bit silly having Chelsea win the Premiership and Chelsea 2 win the Championship.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

It's the old feeder-parent club thing, innit. I think for whatever reason it's been mostly stopped. I know Vitesse are tied to Chelsea right now and the fans aren't liking it much.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I thought about it and I don't like FIFA and UEFA ruling over all football. I think having some competition would be good for football. Some free market capitalism as it were.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

have you considered FIFpro and their recent challenge about the transfer system being a good idea?

I have not. But I have reflexively defended the current system. I'm worried about even more power going to the elites and lower level football getting completely killed off. Besides, FIFpro is a scam by some homo Dutch lawyers anyway.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I'd much prefer to ban Americans that go on and on about concussions.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Which footballer murdered their entire family and then themselves? Concussions aren't an issue in football.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

After the worldcup draw every qualified team should randomly receive a draft number and the all teams each get to draft one player from a nation that didn't make the world cup.

Sorry, not as good as my idea to have a team made of players who didn't qualify participate.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

A good idea from Raymond Verheijen:

quote:

Do the international games in bigger blocks. Play all your games in four weeks, for example. One summer you play four weeks of qualifying games, next summer you play the tournament. When you don't play national team games in the season, the season is a bit shorter. At the end of the season you have more time for national team games. That is much better than this flying up and down all the time. You have more space in the season so you don't have to play that many midweek games - all the league games would take place on the weekends.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Agree? Disagree? Discuss! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

I agree that it would be much better for us, and national team managers might like it too since they'd get uninterrupted time with the players. I think international-level players might balk that they would never get time for an extended holiday to go gently caress Instagram models in Miami.

Yes, I agree that there would be a risk that some players would withdraw but I think there is enough pressure to show up for 'patriotic reasons' that it wouldn't turn into a farce. I don't think anyone wants to lengthen the season as player need to be away from football. Right now there are 40 Saturdays between the start and end of the Premier League season. I think with a few mid-week matches, they could shorten the season and add on the qualifying tournament in a way that it wouldn't be longer than what we have now.

• Locked thread