Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Xenoborg posted:

Anyone notice that one of the boxes they were bringing inside was a case of BAWLS?

Yes.

I'm not going to go back and check all the episodes but I also noticed during this one that the good guys drove Fords and the bad guys seemed to drive Fords with the logos removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Xenoborg posted:

Anyone notice that one of the boxes they were bringing inside was a case of BAWLS?
Well it is technically the end of the world. I mean the crew on the Nathan James just has to grit their teeth and drink Tim Horton's coffee these days.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

WE HAVE GOT TO RESCUE THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yes.

I'm not going to go back and check all the episodes but I also noticed during this one that the good guys drove Fords and the bad guys seemed to drive Fords with the logos removed.

Noticed this too. Also when generic navy seal guy was dousing the teddy bears he also doused, then lit up several cases of water. Not like there are supply shortages or anything :allears:

Still good to watch for some shooting action.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

WE HAVE GOT TO RESCUE THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

Noticed this too. Also when generic navy seal guy was dousing the teddy bears he also doused, then lit up several cases of water. Not like there are supply shortages or anything :allears:

Still good to watch for some shooting action.

To be fair, he was in a bit of a rush.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

hollylolly posted:

To be fair, he was in a bit of a rush.

Not to mention that that anything else in the vehicle or close proximity could be tainted by the virus, especially after the firefight.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I wanna know more about all these immune mercenaries/soldiers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Aardark posted:

Isn't that what krav maga is?

Yeah Krav Maga as taught to the military is basically "gently caress poo poo up in the way most effective in this moment" so that was 100% Krav Maga.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I find the show pretty fun to watch, much better than the first series, doesn't seem to have filler at all.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is S2 worth watching? Rode it out for S1, but I haven't stopped rolling my eyes since a speedboat with 3 or 4 cops took over a destroyer

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is S2 worth watching? Rode it out for S1, but I haven't stopped rolling my eyes since a speedboat with 3 or 4 cops took over a destroyer

I just binged the first seven episodes of the season in the past 2 days and loved it, you should give it a go.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Thom12255 posted:

I just binged the first seven episodes of the season in the past 2 days and loved it, you should give it a go.

It's better than season 1.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Just binged 3 episodes, think I'm ready to enlist now :911:

e: they even used some of the same music blackhawk down used

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Time to deprogram this guy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I want to see less of Captain Lantern Jaw on the Away Team and more military-speak on the bridge when they want to shoot something down. I love all that "Give me a J-track on the SM2s with a positive fire-solution" poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
We are strong because of our strength.

This guy is more Dubya than Dubya.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
She is not a Quack :obama:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

We are strong because of our strength.

This guy is more Dubya than Dubya.

I laughed out loud at that line. I was shocked by the suicide attempt, though.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I forget, does anyone know that evil scientist guy made the virus in the first place or just the viewer?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Xenoborg posted:

I forget, does anyone know that evil scientist guy made the virus in the first place or just the viewer?

I thought he made it worse, but didn't necessarily make it. But then I also thought he was more of a slightly amoral bumbling idiot until he started making literal death teddy bears, so who knows. Speaking of which, has anyone ever, in the history of teddy bears, gone and passed them out to kids they didn't know without having ulterior motives?

I got a chuckle out of "I think he's taking a leak. He may be doing the other thing, but what are you gonna do, he's the president."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
He hasn't even been sworn in yet and he's already the president :patriot:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Pretty fun episode to watch.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

He hasn't even been sworn in yet and he's already the president :patriot:

Yeah, wait til they find the next higher ranking government official and they toss this guy by the wayside.

"He's a soldier. He needs someone to salute."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Svanja posted:

"He's a soldier. He needs someone to salute."

Did anyone else wave their flag with tears streaming down their face, at the beauty of this most patriotic of foreshadowing?

The whole final scene with the "we printed you an Oval Naval Office like in the pictures MISTER PRESIDENT" was super cringe-worthy but the rest of the episode was some surprisingly watchable thriller action.

e: I can't actually think of a scenario in fiction or reality that's ever been more "eggs in one basket" than the Nathan James is right now.

- Only stock of the cure? Check
- Only schematic of the cure? Check
- Only scientist likely to be able to synthesise the cure? Check
- Seemingly the only capable Navy vessel? Check
- President of the USA? Check

Khablam fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 4, 2015

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Khablam posted:

- Tex? Check

ftfy

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khablam posted:

Did anyone else wave their flag with tears streaming down their face, at the beauty of this most patriotic of foreshadowing?

The whole final scene with the "we printed you an Oval Naval Office like in the pictures MISTER PRESIDENT" was super cringe-worthy but the rest of the episode was some surprisingly watchable thriller action.

e: I can't actually think of a scenario in fiction or reality that's ever been more "eggs in one basket" than the Nathan James is right now.

All they need now is a rag tag fleet and a whiteboard. :allears:

I'm not sure quite why they didn't just logic bomb President Duck with "well are you going to be President of the US or President of The Immunes, because if it's the latter we're not under any obligation to follow your drat orders" but I guess it all worked out.

It'll be interesting to see if he actually takes charge and makes good decisions or if he just remains a bumbling, easily led figurehead.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I haven't watched this but my friend told me about it. Let me get this straight - 80% of the population is dead, there's pretty much worldwide chaos, and these guys are still all "Rah Rah USA! USA!"? So much so that they go on a hunt to find some 18th-in-line whatever of the presidency? For what - is he some sort of expert at apocalypse scenarios?

When the world breaks down so completely, it's pretty silly to keep pretending like "The United States of America" means anything anymore. It didn't sound like there was much in-show justification for this America worship, from my friend's description. Am I wrong?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They didn't look for the president, the Bad Guys had him, and were going to use him to try and setup a government in North America, and they liberated him. They figured if there are still tens of thousands of folks that will recognize his authority (they are in the south currently), they should probably keep him around. They gave him a little presidential office, probably as a joke.

There is still a excessive amount of 'MURICA RAH RAH RAH though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
U ded, Niels.

U ded 4eva.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
For a second there I though Dr. Scott would go for a vivisection when she started to make room on a table. Good to see the Rhona Mitra from Strike Back there instead of her just talking tech stuff.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

U ded, Niels.

U ded 4eva.

I liked Niels. :(

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

This episode convinced me it's pretty much Star Trek on a Navy ship. This week they went to the planet where kids run things.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Finally this show gets that Rhona Mitra is best served cold

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mr_Ruckus posted:

This episode convinced me it's pretty much Star Trek on a Navy ship. This week they went to the planet where kids run things.
There's a dearth of those kinds of shows these days so I'll take what I can get.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Sober posted:

There's a dearth of those kinds of shows these days so I'll take what I can get.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, I'm still enjoying the show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This week, lessons were learned, leaders were born, asses were kicked, bad guys got their comeuppance, and Capt. Pike got his own pet President. I love this show!

awesome news!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 12, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It was also renewed for a third season!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ahahaha RIP in piss, Niels

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Finally this show gets that Rhona Mitra is best served cold

If it could serve her in the catsuit from Doomsday that'd be great too

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
There's so much stupid happening on the ship (and the show in general) that there's no way people actually enjoy watching it bur rather hate-watch it out of principle. Am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Caryna posted:

There's so much stupid happening on the ship (and the show in general) that there's no way people actually enjoy watching it bur rather hate-watch it out of principle. Am I right?

Nope. Show is legitimately good, was flaky at times first series but now its full bore 'We are US Navy at all times' and as such all actions when seen in those eyes all make sense.

• Locked thread