Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ukle posted:

Nope. Show is legitimately good, was flaky at times first series but now its full bore 'We are US Navy at all times' and as such all actions when seen in those eyes all make sense.

:911: are ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ukle posted:

Nope. Show is legitimately good, was flaky at times first series but now its full bore 'We are US Navy at all times' and as such all actions when seen in those eyes all make sense.

Sounds like taking the premise that ST:Voyager got completely wrong (ship maintains federation niceties and protocols even when 70,000 light years away) and doubling down on it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ashpanash posted:

Sounds like taking the premise that ST:Voyager got completely wrong (ship maintains federation niceties and protocols even when 70,000 light years away) and doubling down on it.

It's actually more along the lines of the concept that has been floated for a new Star Trek series a couple of times. The idea was to set it in the 26th or 27th century after the Federation has become totally decadent and collapsed. In this period of war and anarchy, a lone Starfleet ship sets off to rebuild the Federation using its "core values".

"Star Trek on the ocean" is't far wrong. The Last Ship is basically that show, except with a bunch of jingoistic patriotic stuff mixed in because Murica.

I should hate it but :munch: it's pretty well done.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
He really is a kirk stand in than anything he kicks down doors of the bad aliens of the week but up holds the values of the federation I mean the U.S. navy.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Another ST theme; I was reminded of how impotent photon-torpedo hits look when they're meant to be these devices that vastly outclass nuclear warheads in yield, but seem to just knock over their tea and make Worf look annoyed.

That ship should be in pieces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpx4DMGzYI

Other than that this episode showed promise of some actual good TV. I almost feel like I might unironically recommend it soon!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Khablam posted:

Another ST theme; I was reminded of how impotent photon-torpedo hits look when they're meant to be these devices that vastly outclass nuclear warheads in yield, but seem to just knock over their tea and make Worf look annoyed.

That ship should be in pieces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpx4DMGzYI

But that's only because Australians can actually aim their torpedos. That's pretty cool, though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Cap'n McSteamy, Adam Baldwin and Drunk Duck Phillips 'Murica :911:

Rhona should have just lied about killing Nils....."DUNNO, HE DIED WHATEVS"

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 18, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The fact that they're trying to make me think she feels bad about it is hilarious. We all know Rhona Mitra moisturizes with the blood of her victims.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The fact that they're trying to make me think she feels bad about it is hilarious. We all know Rhona Mitra moisturizes with the blood of her victims.

I would have apologized for one thing to the Captain, and indeed to the world: not letting them watch while Niels choked to death on his own blood.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I mean this conflict between the captain and rhona felt so forced and just bad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Octy posted:

But that's only because Australians can actually aim their torpedos. That's pretty cool, though.

The James took a direct hit; the torps are homing and designed to explode near the ship, not hit it. The yield on modern torps is huge, with the idea being to simply split the hull outright (like in the video) or cause massive crew casualties in the least case.

Which isn't to be said just to moan about ~~accuracy~~ but to simply say it's kinda annoying that the big bad threat will simply scratch the paint if the plot armour calls for it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

She doesn't feel even remotely bad about killing whatshisname and the show made that pretty clear. She only feels bad about betraying the Captain (and getting caught).

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Killing Neils is worse than suffocating your own daughters

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Burno posted:

Killing Neils is worse than suffocating your own daughters

Well you see the daughters were going to die anyway, so it's okay. Also all Niels did was kill 5 billion people through negligence and another several thousand more on purpose and presented a continued danger to unvaccinated individuals so he clearly didn't deserve to die.

Edit: The double standard here is actually explainable by Chandler thinking purely about politics, and how both the President and Niels were more useful alive as far as propaganda goes.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 19, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
At the end of the episode where she killed Niels they heavily implied that she needed to do it to harvest his whatever to make the cure contagious. But then she reveals she didn't need to kill him, it was just fun at that point, :drat:

But Niels caused the pandemic accidentally (by making it super contagious I think?) so is anyone else worried that making the cure contagious could have crazy side effects? I'm sure it's not going to be a thing in the show but it's kind of hard to suspend the disbelief for that part.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah I was thinking about the cure mutating in the future. This might just be bringing in snakes to deal with your rabbit problem.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
To be fair, I had no idea how the airborne vaccine was going to be useful. Yeah, we can just drop it from the sky on the population. Because the survivors will be just fine with the USS Nathan James shooting chemicals into their air. I think when they first started talking about the airborne vaccine I shouted out "CHEMTRAILS" at the TV.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm okay with some inaccuracies to further the story, but the torpedo joke was painfully inaccurate and it neutered the big threat of the season as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

FISHMANPET posted:

But Niels caused the pandemic accidentally (by making it super contagious I think?) so is anyone else worried that making the cure contagious could have crazy side effects? I'm sure it's not going to be a thing in the show but it's kind of hard to suspend the disbelief for that part.

Yeah the story being told is definitely that good people can do evil by following their own moral compass.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I liked the cute Israeli chick. :(

At least I think she was from Israel.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

holy poo poo this show is good lol

been watching since the beginning, fell off for a while. true detective seaosn 2 sucked and i started noticing this was loving doing things i didnt expect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Octy posted:

I liked the cute Israeli chick. :(

At least I think she was from Israel.

When characters die like she did it makes me wonder if that's the end they had planned for the character or if the actor just wanted off the show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Didn't expect that.

Thought they would both die in the epiosde they showed up in.

Thought she had plot armor now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BattleMaster posted:

When characters die like she did it makes me wonder if that's the end they had planned for the character or if the actor just wanted off the show.
Probably planned. She was in from like episode 4 or so onwards. Besides, if she really wanted off the show she would've just died in the explosion I'm guessing. Both her and the engineering dude were the only named side characters to die, the other two were pure redshirts I don't think we'd seen before.

Although I find it pretty odd that fighting the enemy sub, no one dies but they get merked by a bunch of :911: gun nuts who had a cache of RPGs in the back of their boat, what a drat shame.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The aliens from planet Bat-poo poo Crazy made me laugh, far more than it should. It's not a good joke, it's not a good show... but every week I gotta watch it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I think it's a good show. Not stellar, not prestige drama 4th dimensional chess brilliant, but at the very least very competent and actually engaging.

I don't think anyone as of this season is even hatewatching it, much less maybe half or 2/3's of the way through the first. Compare this to other summer fare like Under the Dome or Falling Skies.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I don't think this season is particularly competent at all. At the very least everything having to do with the villains is utterly, distractingly stupid. From the clowning around on the sub and lovely ASW to "taking over Europe" with at most 100 dudes and all that cult bullshit, none of it works.

And it sucks that they killed Ravit. What was the point of her character, then?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

It seemed abrupt. I thought they were setting her up for a relationship with the security chief or whatever he is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mars4523 posted:

And it sucks that they killed Ravit. What was the point of her character, then?

Probably her Visa expired and besides they can only have one "hot" brunette at a time and they just found "too much plastic surgery girl" so Ravit had to go. Lt. Foster is pregnant and off the market so she doesn't count against the total.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I can think of no finer comment on the show than my thoughts during the episode. When they were stood on the beach waving the bluetooth magi-scan around they pointed it out to sea, but largely at some gulls.

I thought "oh, well, so they're going with bluetooth birds"

That I could have this thought makes this a unique TV show worthy of all our time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a fun season and I am glad to have watched it. There was bit in the middle what was bad, but it's mostly just some campy rah rah Navy fun.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was a fun season and I am glad to have watched it. There was bit in the middle what was bad, but it's mostly just some campy rah rah Navy fun.

The finale is actually next week, though I agree that this season has been a lot of fun. A major improvement over the first.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Only issue is that now they need a new ship as there one is hosed and would need months of dry dock time. Thankfully there are tons of them back in the naval yards.

Or they could take it in a new direction, where the program is called Last Ship but they dont actually have a ship anymore as they abandoned it as it was virtually worthless.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That was a really satisfying episode.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Uh so what happened between the oil rig and being hunted by the sub?

Did I miss an episode?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Last week they got the Vale lady who was handling the phone network off the oil rig and switch sides to help them. Because of the video of the Nathan James destroying the Civilian ships was sent over the network a bunch of American hicks tried to blockade the ship in the bay they were in so the sub could take it out with no effort. Vale helped mess that plan up and sub went boom.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ShakeZula posted:

The finale is actually next week, though I agree that this season has been a lot of fun. A major improvement over the first.

Oh god really? I just assumed it would end the same night as Falling Skies. Actually when the New Orleans thing happened at the end of episode 10, I assumed that was the end of the season, so that's twice now. Is that more a reflection of me or the show? At least it's fun.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

This episode was legitimately good TV, despite what you think of the show or what flaws it has at times.

Also I assume next week is a cooldown kind of finale given what they did this episode.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
this show is the '10s version of Battlestar Galactica. We all caused this, we all deserve this.
and i'm still watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm so happy I don't know poo poo about the navy or naval warfare because :drat: that was a fun episode.

• Locked thread