Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Except he's right

He's right about the lighting, but with motion the framing is fine. Taking any single still shot where there is motion from any film is a disingenuous way to critique it. The one he chose isn't great, but it's passable for a $4000 Nightwing fan film. The bar for those is pretty loving low though, admittedly. Also the only people who are going to watch a Nightwing fan film film to begin with are going to be people who care about the characters featured and the source material.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheJoker138 posted:

While I'm not a fan of your work, you should probably disregard everything SMG says, just as a general rule. His criticism isn't going to actually be constructive from a film making perspective, as he's a hardcore theory guy, not a production guy.

Shut up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

StuntKid posted:

Sorry to say a lot of people really do care about the fidelity to the originals. You saying otherwise doesn't make it so. If that's the worse frame you can pick, where we lose our actor at the very end of it to show it's not lit or framed properly, your grasping at straws, that is such a minor note that doesn't apply to half the action scenes shot these days. In terms of light, when we color correct our footage there will be a massive difference than what you are seeing in our teaser in terms of visuals.

Ok, how about the beginning of the shot.

Or the middle.

There's not a single good frame. Compare it with this similar shot (from 2011's The Raid):

First and foremost, you can actually see the characters - even with the motion blur and Youtube resolution of the screencap. That's pretty important. Then, you can note how the rectangular background elements are used to emphasize what the characters are doing.

Why do you have a bunch of tables in the shot? Why are the tables better-lit than your actors/stuntmen?

Since you are putting a lot of thought into advertising yourself, this is a good opportunity to advertise the actual film. What's the rationale?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

StuntKid posted:

Fans are loyal, passionate people who do not hesitate to poo poo on you if they think your doing something wrong.

I'm not in any way loyal, passionate or even a fan of Nightwing but the bit where he drowns the 24 year old woman in the clown makeup seems very crass and Not Good.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
Even as a former comic nerd, I must ask why sink 4 g's into something that you will neither make money nor endear you to any sort of industry or fanbase?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Except he's right

You should probably disregard everything TheJoker138 says, just as a general rule.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The audio sounds bad but you probably wouldn't have too much trouble ADR-ing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The number of people on this of all forums questioning someone dropping $$$ on something that interests them is pretty hilarious.

I really do like the action in the teaser in general. The audio though, like everyone else said...

Whenever I see anyone's film work on here, I'm always terrified to click pay at first because I remember Tony Tango.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

The number of people on this of all forums questioning someone dropping $$$ on something that interests them is pretty hilarious.

I really do like the action in the teaser in general. The audio though, like everyone else said...

Whenever I see anyone's film work on here, I'm always terrified to click pay at first because I remember Tony Tango.

Yeah, the action was very good, considering the budget etc.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

"You spent $4000 on that?", he said, replacing his replica pink samurai sword above his meticulously arranged menagerie of rainbow plastic unicorns, "... what a waste of money!"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I hope you paid Andrew Kramer for those sound effects.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My favorite lovely Batman fanfilm is this one:

http://youtu.be/IZaLGhFC7tU

Joker Rising is hilariously bad.

This looks bad, too. But Joker Rising cracked me up.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Quote/=edit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My favorite lovely Batman fanfilm is this one:

http://youtu.be/IZaLGhFC7tU

Joker Rising is hilariously bad.

This looks bad, too. But Joker Rising cracked me up.

This is one of the only ones I've watched all the way through because it's so spectacular in its badness.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
The Penguin's swap meet pewter dragon.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, how about the beginning of the shot.

Or the middle.

There's not a single good frame. Compare it with this similar shot (from 2011's The Raid):

First and foremost, you can actually see the characters - even with the motion blur and Youtube resolution of the screencap. That's pretty important. Then, you can note how the rectangular background elements are used to emphasize what the characters are doing.

Why do you have a bunch of tables in the shot? Why are the tables better-lit than your actors/stuntmen?

Since you are putting a lot of thought into advertising yourself, this is a good opportunity to advertise the actual film. What's the rationale?
That shot from the raid, is a small, very short shot. Our shot that your picking apart, is a 50 second oner, that doesn't cut in our final edit. There will be some minor flaws in shooting that only the bitchiest of folks will decide to pick apart. Hence you.
Why are our tables lit brighter than him? Because ONCE we color correct it, he will be a silhouette kicking rear end, which is what we were aiming for. Many, MANY TV shows and movies have heroes moving through pools of darkness as they fight. A bit of artistic visual license shouldn't require this amount of explanation.

Vitamin P posted:

I'm not in any way loyal, passionate or even a fan of Nightwing but the bit where he drowns the 24 year old woman in the clown makeup seems very crass and Not Good.
We've seen Batman go to extreme measure to get information when pushed to the edge, this is simply Nightwing's moment to lose it to get what he needs.

GunChicka posted:

Even as a former comic nerd, I must ask why sink 4 g's into something that you will neither make money nor endear you to any sort of industry or fanbase?
The previous web-series done by this team (before me or my fellow producer came on board) has done very well online in terms of views. It was not great, and it did quite well. It had moments, but it's production values lacked. This additional short film to their web-series has a larger budget, different team, and much higher production values and stunts. Comic book fan films get views. We've already got some industry notice locally from some of the action scenes we've shot, but honestly, it's just fun to make movies, audience or not. It's a creative outlet which we are passionate about. Can't get mad at blind optimism can you?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The audio sounds bad but you probably wouldn't have too much trouble ADR-ing it.
The audio is only bad due to lack of work done by a post production sound supervisor due to lack of time.. Our teaser was VERY rushed, we know audio needs some work done and this teaser is no indication of our final product. Should we have labelled it as an Alpha Teaser perhaps?

Neo Rasa posted:

Clipperton posted:

Yeah, the action was very good, considering the budget etc.

Thanks for the words about the action. We've got some pretty solid stunt folks lined up, and pretty happy with how our fights turned out. We've got a solid stunt team.
A bunch of action clips from the teaser, come from this scene. This is a one shot action sequence we set up over a few weeks. Is it perfect? No, but for a volunteer crew with some skilled stunt folk, it works pretty well as an element. No color timing, sound fx, etc. but you will see what we are trying to do with this Nightwing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTOMaqIm1js

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey guys here's this "trailer" to get you hyped for this. I know it looks and sounds like poo poo but don't worry we're gonna fix it all."

Are you for loving real?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can see a very clear Derek Jarman influence in that scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoasUMmV9Y

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys here's this "trailer" to get you hyped for this. I know it looks and sounds like poo poo but don't worry we're gonna fix it all."

Are you for loving real?
You'd make a good governor, great at putting poo poo in people's mouths. We never claimed it was a trailer, or even good or polished, I even said the opposite. It's a rough teaser that was released early due to time constraints. Thanks for the feedback.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is one of the only ones I've watched all the way through because it's so spectacular in its badness.

If that movie was a high school/college kid level production, I'd be impressed.

As it stands...lol. I do like that one scar guy's make up though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

StuntKid posted:

You'd make a good governor, great at putting poo poo in people's mouths.

I didn't know that was part of being a governor. That sure explains why Two Girls One Cup felt so gubernatorial.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2015

NotWritten
Dec 13, 2007

StuntKid posted:

A bit of artistic visual license shouldn't require this amount of explanation.

Yet here you are. What could be the problem?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'd watch a show about a Greensman trying to get a break behind the camera by helping make the sequel to a fan fiction webseries. Party Down style

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

StuntKid posted:

That shot from the raid, is a small, very short shot. Our shot that your picking apart, is a 50 second oner, that doesn't cut in our final edit. There will be some minor flaws in shooting that only the bitchiest of folks will decide to pick apart. Hence you.
Why are our tables lit brighter than him? Because ONCE we color correct it, he will be a silhouette kicking rear end, which is what we were aiming for. Many, MANY TV shows and movies have heroes moving through pools of darkness as they fight. A bit of artistic visual license shouldn't require this amount of explanation.

There aren't any 'pools' of darkness in that shot. That's one pool. And it's the deep end of the pool. Color correction has its limits; it can't relight your scene for you. What you're talking about is more like rotoscoping.

A long take means you actually have less of an excuse for the framing. There are fifty full seconds (apparently) in which to make sure that your guys are framed properly more often than not. 'Shakeycam' requires that the shot be constantly reframed - and that's simply not happening. It looks like just random shaking. 'Losing your actor' multiple times in the span of a second or two - especially while documenting a 'trailer-worthy' centerpiece stunt - makes you wonder how many times this got messed up in the full minute.

It's not just the one example. There are multiple shots - in just this brief trailer - where the actors shove eachother around, and the motion is not followed in any way. No composition. No camera movement.

You're jumping from 'the actor is in roughly the right place on the screen' to 'minute-long faux-documentary long take with a half-dozen extras, stunt choreography, and all the lighting added in digital postproduction' - and then leaping from there to 'my work is on par with HBO! I'm going to get a job in the industry!!'

It's not going well.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang

StuntKid posted:

The previous web-series done by this team (before me or my fellow producer came on board) has done very well online in terms of views. It was not great, and it did quite well. It had moments, but it's production values lacked. This additional short film to their web-series has a larger budget, different team, and much higher production values and stunts. Comic book fan films get views. We've already got some industry notice locally from some of the action scenes we've shot, but honestly, it's just fun to make movies, audience or not. It's a creative outlet which we are passionate about. Can't get mad at blind optimism can you?
Not mad, just sort of befuddled and embarrassed

quote:

We've seen Batman go to extreme measure to get information when pushed to the edge, this is simply Nightwing's moment to lose it to get what he needs.
Also lol.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think my only problem with Harley here is that she's wearing a stock promotional t-shirt from when WBIE was hyping up Injustice the fall before it's release but that's not really a thing that can be changed now.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
What "time constraints" were placed on the teaser for a fan film?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I doubt this fan film's production is paying anyone's bills...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

StuntKid posted:

You'd make a good governor, great at putting poo poo in people's mouths. We never claimed it was a trailer, or even good or polished, I even said the opposite. It's a rough teaser that was released early due to time constraints. Thanks for the feedback.

Haha, that's just dandy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

StuntKid posted:

You'd make a good governor, great at putting poo poo in people's mouths.

You could be my lieutenant governor. You're pretty good at putting poo poo in eyes and ears.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

StuntKid posted:

For someone who said "slag away" in the thread title, you sure have a problem with people slagging away on your embarrassing teaser that you should be embarrassed of.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This is actually a great microcosm of insecure artists asking for criticism but then rationalizing out loud why things that are bad are actually 'fine for what it is.' Though it's not nearly as good as Louis C.K. ripping apart Gap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yra-RGHdw-4

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

StuntKid posted:

Is that actually what's going on though, or did you just see Daredevil torturing some dudes on Netflix and be like "Yeah... that's the HBO poo poo"

Be honest

If I can provide an actual attempt at constructive criticism though, something that happens a lot in the fight clips is that you're using shakycam or sweeping camera rotations to give a greater sense of kineticism to the action. That's a reasonable call and I respect it, but I want to caution you a bit, since that camera motion is being used in large part to shift focus away from the overall static nature of the shots. Typically what's happening is that Nightwing is doing martial arts to one fool, while the rest of the foreground and background is pretty motionless. If there are more goons, they're already groggy, and if there are spectators like in the club scene, they're just chilling and enjoying their drinks, not shouting for one side to kick the other's rear end or anything like that.

Obviously I don't know how prevalent this actually is in the larger film, given we've got like 20 seconds of fight footage to look at here. But I have a feeling that if the clips here are representative, using camera movement to mask foreground and background stillness is going to become something that the audience starts to notice and get disenchanted with. And it's not as if every shot in a fight scene actually needs to be a sea of motion - plenty of martial arts films thrive on the idea of a long, mostly static take that highlights the physical artistry between two combatants. But it seems like you're going for a frenetic, "holy poo poo this is intense" style here, so be careful about the potential for diminishing returns.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Timby posted:

For someone who said "slag away" in the thread title, you sure have a problem with people slagging away on your embarrassing teaser that you should be embarrassed of.
I'm fine with the slag, just not words being put in my mouth.

Neo Rasa posted:

I doubt this fan film's production is paying anyone's bills...
Unfortunately, no. It's a passion project. It usually costs people money to be involved. :(

ALFbrot posted:

Only had 4 days to try and rush something out because the powers that be wanted to launch it asap with our Kickstarter. Poor choice IMHO.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There aren't any 'pools' of darkness in that shot. That's one pool. And it's the deep end of the pool. Color correction has its limits; it can't relight your scene for you. What you're talking about is more like rotoscoping.

You're jumping from 'the actor is in roughly the right place on the screen' to 'minute-long faux-documentary long take with a half-dozen extras, stunt choreography, and all the lighting added in digital postproduction' - and then leaping from there to 'my work is on par with HBO! I'm going to get a job in the industry!!'

It's not going well.
Nah, no need for rotoscoping. We've got 6k RAW footage, you'd be amazed what you can do in post once you start color correcting it. Our intent is to silhouette him against the brighter background, and pop into a pool of light here or there. We know our minute take isn't perfect, but it's what we got.
Yes, I definitely said my work is on par with HBO. I already work in the industry.

Jenny Angel posted:

Is that actually what's going on though, or did you just see Daredevil torturing some dudes on Netflix and be like "Yeah... that's the HBO poo poo"

Be honest

If I can provide an actual attempt at constructive criticism though, something that happens a lot in the fight clips is that you're using shakycam or sweeping camera rotations to give a greater sense of kineticism to the action. That's a reasonable call and I respect it, but I want to caution you a bit, since that camera motion is being used in large part to shift focus away from the overall static nature of the shots. Typically what's happening is that Nightwing is doing martial arts to one fool, while the rest of the foreground and background is pretty motionless. If there are more goons, they're already groggy, and if there are spectators like in the club scene, they're just chilling and enjoying their drinks, not shouting for one side to kick the other's rear end or anything like that.

Obviously I don't know how prevalent this actually is in the larger film, given we've got like 20 seconds of fight footage to look at here. But I have a feeling that if the clips here are representative, using camera movement to mask foreground and background stillness is going to become something that the audience starts to notice and get disenchanted with. And it's not as if every shot in a fight scene actually needs to be a sea of motion - plenty of martial arts films thrive on the idea of a long, mostly static take that highlights the physical artistry between two combatants. But it seems like you're going for a frenetic, "holy poo poo this is intense" style here, so be careful about the potential for diminishing returns.
In reference to the torture, I hadn't seen more than the pilot of Daredevil, I was holding off on further episodes until we were done filming. We wanted to go darker than the previous web-series, and this was some character motivation we needed.

Yeah, we should've made our background audience a bit more participatory, our 1st AD kind of bailed on us and some balls were dropped for sure, especially on my end. Indie film can be a scramble. But the camera movement kineticism was just to add some energy to the fight. Once we get into the next segment of the fight we start to cut into audience reaction shots, etc.
Great feedback, you put some thought into your response and brought up some very valid points! Cheers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys here's this "trailer""teaser" to get you hyped for this. I know it looks and sounds like poo poo but don't worry we're gonna fix it all."

Sorry about that man. Totally used the wrong word there. I fixed it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

StuntKid posted:

I'm fine with the slag, just not words being put in my mouth.

Unfortunately, no. It's a passion project. It usually costs people money to be involved. :(

Only had 4 days to try and rush something out because the powers that be wanted to launch it asap with our Kickstarter. Poor choice IMHO.

Nah, no need for rotoscoping. We've got 6k RAW footage, you'd be amazed what you can do in post once you start color correcting it. Our intent is to silhouette him against the brighter background, and pop into a pool of light here or there. We know our minute take isn't perfect, but it's what we got.
Yes, I definitely said my work is on par with HBO. I already work in the industry.

In reference to the torture, I hadn't seen more than the pilot of Daredevil, I was holding off on further episodes until we were done filming. We wanted to go darker than the previous web-series, and this was some character motivation we needed.

Yeah, we should've made our background audience a bit more participatory, our 1st AD kind of bailed on us and some balls were dropped for sure, especially on my end. Indie film can be a scramble. But the camera movement kineticism was just to add some energy to the fight. Once we get into the next segment of the fight we start to cut into audience reaction shots, etc.
Great feedback, you put some thought into your response and brought up some very valid points! Cheers.

I love that you are actually using "we'll fix it in post".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

StuntKid posted:

You are beyond delusional. I would pay actual money to watch you pitch a video for a pilot you want to make to HBO and have you laughed off the premises.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best (comically worst) part about the film and television industry is that the steaming piles of crap that inundate the majority of media inevitably engenders a healthy spirit of "poo poo, I could make something as good as this, if not better," but then you realize that being able to make your poo poo as good as the plain ol' poo poo we already have, or just slightly less lovely than that poo poo, was always part of the problem.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

You are beyond delusional. I would pay actual money to watch you pitch a video for a pilot you want to make to HBO and have you laughed off the premises.

That would actually make a pretty good HBO series.

"No no Mr. Warner, you GOTTA see my sizzle reel!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

The first part was sarcasm.

• Locked thread