Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Could have used more shots of Nightwing artfully shooting the dicks off of criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
When lovely dirt-cheap productions shoot for high production values it just shines a glaring light on all of their shortcomings. No amateur film ever succeeded by trying to look as expensive as possible. Like, you're not doing your lovely actors any favors by filming all the dialogue in fully-lit closeups with a stationary camera.

If you're going to insist on making a stupid fan film with no budget, the target should be Chainsaw Scumfuck, not The Dark Knight.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're going to insist on making a stupid fan film with no budget, the target should be Chainsaw Scumfuck, not The Dark Knight.

I thought The Dark Knight WAS a Chainsaw Scumfuck fan film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hat Thoughts posted:

The first part was sarcasm.

I read it as "I'd definitely say," woops.

I still stand by my statement.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I don't understand why people do their own films but then pick an already existing character? If you make a Batman film, then it's held up to the 100 years of other Batman media. Why not invent your own characters, and express your creativity your own way?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I don't understand why people do their own films but then pick an already existing character? If you make a Batman film, then it's held up to the 100 years of other Batman media. Why not invent your own characters, and express your creativity your own way?

Because the only way to get people to watch their lovely garbage is by leeching off of something viewers have a pre-existing attachment to. It's practically a truism that creative people don't make fan films.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Because the only way to get people to watch their lovely garbage is by leeching off of something viewers have a pre-existing attachment to. It's practically a truism that creative people don't make fan films.

In this guy's defense, Jurassic World made like a billion dollars.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

exquisite tea posted:

In this guy's defense, Jurassic World made like a billion dollars.

It was also made by Universal with a lot of money and actual celebrities.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I just don't get why you wouldn't just make a vanity project. I mean, it lacks the built in fanbase but that fanbase is the least critical group in the world so who cares. Why not just film you and your friends goofing off or something.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
a lot of Nightwing's fans are women (because of his booty) and you're really going to piss them off with the drowning Harley thing so good job I guess

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just don't get why you wouldn't just make a vanity project. I mean, it lacks the built in fanbase but that fanbase is the least critical group in the world so who cares. Why not just film you and your friends goofing off or something.

Coming up with an original character and story isn't trivial, and if he wants to show he can film an atmospheric action film rather than write compelling scripts, its a fine way to go about it.

He might not really give a gently caress what Batfamily fans think of it, just people looking to hire directors/dop/Green Men

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

He might not really give a gently caress what Batfamily fans think of it, just people looking to hire directors/dop/Green Men
Nobody looks to fan films for this.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

This video flooded my recommendations with batman fan films, including Joker Rising, a movie which appears to consist entirely of close-ups of the actor's faces.

So in a way the trailer provides its own context - it's slightly more competent than the poo poo-hurricane of other batman fan films.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Terrible Horse posted:

Coming up with an original character and story isn't trivial, and if he wants to show he can film an atmospheric action film rather than write compelling scripts, its a fine way to go about it.

I write and shoot one project of my own creation and concept a year. This is my first project that I'm directing/producing for someone else and a concept that isn't mine. It was another opportunity to direct, and I do quite enjoy the DC universe so I couldn't say no. Plus, great opportunity to network with other film people that I haven't worked with before.

The_Rob posted:

I love that you are actually using "we'll fix it in post".
That's not even close to what I'm saying. It's not a "fix it in post" comment, it's that we haven't reached that stage in post to do it yet. There's a basic contrast/saturation filter applied to that footage so it wasn't flat, but we haven't done any proper(and expensive) color grading or to get the image to where we want it (silhouette against a brighter background). There's a ton of latitude in the RAW footage to separate the brighter background from our darker hero. Your seeing a very basic image that can be pulled in many directions once we actually have our film done, it's just one of the last steps in post-production. The color science of the Dragon is incredible, and there's a reason we like to use faster, better cameras.

exquisite tea posted:

Could have used more shots of Nightwing artfully shooting the dicks off of criminals.
Agreed. But they shut my ideas down relatively quickly.

Troposphere posted:

a lot of Nightwing's fans are women (because of his booty) and you're really going to piss them off with the drowning Harley thing so good job I guess
There was some serious discussion about this for sure, still not sure how it's going to pan out. Could very well have been a bad choice on my behalf.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Like, you're not doing your lovely actors any favors by filming all the dialogue in fully-lit closeups with a stationary camera.
No, your probably right. But considering how much of this project was filmed with constantly moving cameras, the teaser somehow has some of our more intentionally stationary shots. I'm okay with a few moments of stillness. Sorry if the performance doesn't work for you. We will look for better takes when we cut the project.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

StuntKid posted:

That's not even close to what I'm saying. It's not a "fix it in post" comment, it's that we haven't reached that stage in post to do it yet.
Why would you release a trailer, not just the kind of trailer to raise awareness but the kind that you're actually relying on to make people back the film, containing shots that still admittedly require a ton of work?

I've only edited one trailer, and it is godawful and never went anywhere near the internet so maybe I'm wrong here - but if upon selecting shots for a film, a creator uses shots that A: Are from much longer shots that only 'work' when shown for their full length and not a split-second in a trailer, B: Haven't actually been properly edited yet, and C: Aren't actually fixable because they are shot badly and lit even badlier, it sort of casts doubt on the entire production.

And you shot that scene on a loving Dragon? Did someone sit on it?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

StuntKid posted:

I write and shoot one project of my own creation and concept a year.

Post some of these.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hbomberguy posted:

Why would you release a trailer,

Man, don't call it a trailer. He flipped his poo poo when I did that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

StuntKid posted:

gritty HBO style production

What is grit?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hbomberguy posted:

What is grit?

He meant lovely, as in True Detective season 2

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

StuntKid posted:

We've seen Batman go to extreme measure to get information when pushed to the edge, this is simply Nightwing's moment to lose it to get what he needs.

Have we? All I can think of is using the NSA machine in the Dark Knight, Batman using artifice and a very carefully controlled simulation of being a terrifying dangerous monster is a much more integral/interesting part of the character anyway.

Honestly the drowning bit is terrible and should go, it doesn't read as badass or desperate or whatever you are going for.

Anyway here's some feedback from your TEASER

Is the villain like, comforting Nightwing? It looks like he is, there's no aggression in the arm, Nightwing is higher in the frame than the Bad, the door is even making a barrier between them there's no reason to think Nightwing is under threat from this person. If you want the villain to be threatening and give a sense that the hero is beaten try something like this

having the white mask against the dark clothes and a dark background could be really effective, as though the villain is the face of/becoming the city? I dunno just spitballing.

Your man really needs to look more battered here but the main thing is that there's some waffle about a weaponised serum? That's plot, not story, a trailer is about story, if you want to make a sense of rising dread or an imminent crisis use evocative language, don't just neutrally state that there is a science macguffin.

Having one character say "You need to fight and sort this out" and then the other saying "But what about what I need?" is bad, the first line saps tension and makes it seem like saving Gotham is the same as doing the dishes, and the weak rebuttal makes Nightwing seem petulant. The hero's call to arms has to be internal, not something they can be nagged into doing. Try doing a bit of show not tell, a shot of Nightwing happy away from the fight and a shot of what happens if he doesn't come back.

I actually like how the corridor matches Nightwing's costume design here and it looks like wings which is cool, it's almost like a WWF entrance. If the camera was a little lower and there was a bit of colour correction to tint the background cream blueish this could be good.

But it's still tough to feel anything about the fighty scene, I've got no idea what the odds are, how dangerous a move this is, why Nightwing is walking through the front door etc. It's obvious that you've just shot a fight scene and want to show it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Ive yet to see a fan flick that I can watch more than a few seconds of. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I don't think it will happen.
This one has poor composition, bad lighting, and lovely acting, pretty much just like every fan film Ive seen.

As long as you enjoy doing it then great, have fun. No harm done. But this should not be used as a calling card or an effort to kick start something as it looks poo poo.

And trust me, I already know I couldn't do any better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

-There's too much headroom, and her gestures are cut off.

-The entire left-hand side of the image is blank, while she's lazily 'centered'.

-The arm and the pole create a tangent.

-The harsh shadow on her neck makes her look decapitated. Lighting is otherwise flat.

-Unmotivated camera movement: why is it moving to the right when this is (apparently) a POV shot?

-What's that stuff in the bottom right doing there?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Holy poo poo, you worked on Space Buddies?

I take it all back.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
So was this footage all shot specifically for the teaser?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

Which one is the one where the random goon captures Batman, drugs him, sodomizes him and then Batman kills himself on a riverbank?

W... what?

I learn so much in these shamless-plug fanfilm threads... Things that should perhaps never be learned.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I didn't know that was part of being a governor. That sure explains why Two Girls One Cup felt so gubernatorial.

swap.avi is practically a presidential campaign in itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

raditts posted:

W... what?

I learn so much in these shamless-plug fanfilm threads... Things that should perhaps never be learned.

The best part of that one is that some random goober is able to pull this off because he drops Batman by kicking him in the balls.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

Why would you release a trailer, not just the kind of trailer to raise awareness but the kind that you're actually relying on to make people back the film, containing shots that still admittedly require a ton of work?

I've only edited one trailer, and it is godawful and never went anywhere near the internet so maybe I'm wrong here - but if upon selecting shots for a film, a creator uses shots that A: Are from much longer shots that only 'work' when shown for their full length and not a split-second in a trailer, B: Haven't actually been properly edited yet, and C: Aren't actually fixable because they are shot badly and lit even badlier, it sort of casts doubt on the entire production.

And you shot that scene on a loving Dragon? Did someone sit on it?
I wasn't involved in the actual teaser due to time constraints. I wish I was.

Hbomberguy posted:

What is grit?
Dirt on the lens, sweaty grungy people, excessive use of the word "oval office". That's grit.

LesterGroans posted:

Post some of these.
Sure. Why not. I'm fully prepared to get the same treatment with these projects, but I will not be entering a big discussion about how they can be better, etc. I know they aren't perfect.

The Wounded: This is my most recent project, a 5-day shoot for a film trailer to raise funds for the feature length project. Stars Patrick Sabongui (The Flash). 50+ volunteer crew, lots of talented stunt folks, and a whole lot of passion. I funded this.
This trailer is our 2nd draft, there is no CGI, sound fx/design, music, or color grading, etc. We are waiting for CGI to complete before me move onto the later stages of the trailer and completing our pitch package. This is not public, as it is not anywhere near completion but go ahead and give it a look. Our trailer might not sell it, but it's not your traditional revenge flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFOyti_N28U

To Save One's Self
This is the first short film I directed, Peter Wilke was our DOP (A camera for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Warcraft, etc.). My first serious project. Lots of problems, dialogue, some performance, etc. Did the film festival circuit, won an award. By no means my calling card, but was very lucky to have so many talented people believe in me and be willing to come out for my first short film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oYQBivk1o

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

StuntKid posted:

Dirt on the lens, sweaty grungy people, excessive use of the word "oval office". That's grit.

Actually it's a popular Southron maize porridge.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
Also give me a holler if you need someone to play Oracle, OP. Your Nightwing is a QT.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

haha hell yeah

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

GunChicka posted:

Also give me a holler if you need someone to play Oracle, OP. Your Nightwing is a QT.

LOL, are you local? Or would you require a hotel and expenses paid for? He's a local personal trainer, who also acts and does wrestling at local events.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang

StuntKid posted:

LOL, are you local? Or would you require a hotel and expenses paid for? He's a local personal trainer, who also acts and does wrestling at local events.

I'm in Portland, which isn't awful but far enough to be more than a daytrip. I've also never acted but am interested in being put up in a hotel and then making out on camera.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GunChicka posted:

I've also never acted but am interested in being put up in a hotel and then making out on camera.

Same except with the girl in the joker shirt

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
I could also provide my own wheelchair and have auburn hair. This is a win win, op.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

zVxTeflon posted:

Same except with the girl in the joker shirt

same except with hotel room service

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Same except with the expensive camera you shot this poo poo on.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

You want to make out on camera, with the camera? Layers, man.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You want to make out on camera, with the camera? Layers, man.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

Dont ruin this for us we're trying to make out with cool stuff on camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Now, this is a Nightwing film I could get behind.

• Locked thread