Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Essaouira is way more relaxing than any of the other Moroccan cities I visited. Barely any touts, nobody tries to bother you on the street. Chaouen is alright in that respect but still not really free from aggressive salespeople. Marrakesh and Fez are beautiful and all but I just straight up hated having to walk around there, in the burning sun, constantly having to reject offers of something or other for sale.

Restaurant touts are easiest to get rid of if you show that you are already full. Blow up your belly and pat it in a silly way and they'll usually leave you alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

If we're in Portugal/Spain and want to spend a few days in Morocco (3-4 days or so probably so like a single city probably), what's the best way to get there. Should we hit the south of Spain and take a ferry to Tangier or Ceuta or something like that?

If we travel with an 8 months old, are we gonna regret stepping foot in Morocco or is it relatively baby friendly if we chose what we visit.

Morocco is very stressful if you go to areas where vendors are used to tourists. I wouldn't take a kid there really. Not because it's dangerous for the kid, but it's just hard to keep track of many things at once when you're in the crowds and harassed by vendors.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

That's cool thanks.

After Lisbon we will hit the train and probably go to the south of Spain and we were considering Madrid and Barcelona. Right now we're very interested in Cheufchaouen which seem to be easily accessible from Ceuta, but we're not 100% sure where we will go yet (probably a single city since 3-4 days is not a lot). It's really good to know that flights are cheap from Madrid, I'll try to take a look at flights from Barcelona because that's another city we're very interested in.

That's one of the things I'm afraid of and why we're looking for city that would be less crazy. We're not doing Marrakech this time around for this very reason. The plan right now would be Cheufchaouen and then hit Tetouan on the way back if we have time.

Absolutely nothing is set in stone though, we're in the first stages of planning.

Chaouen should be okay, it's really beautiful. Essaouira is another town where we were never harassed by anybody, and it has a very pleasant climate too. I dunno about Tangier though, we didn't go there but since it has a lot of international traffic I imagine there might be a tourist shakedown culture.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

We don't plan on going to Tangier unless we need to land there.

I'll look at Essaouira. How is Fes if anyone knows? Being harrassed non-stop is clearly not something we are looking for with a 8 months old.

Fes was worse than Marrakesh.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Towards the end of my trip I figured out that it's best to use jokes and stuff to blow off the touts. Like on the food market in Marrakech if someone was trying to pull me towards their stall i'd bulge up my stomach and rub it like I was very full in a silly cartoon way and that'd throw them off.

I suspect you had less trouble because you were with a wife and kid. Your appearance might also have something to do with it. My wife and I look very scammable I think.

• Locked thread