Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I have no idea where it originally came from, as it was just passed from friend to friend, but:

This'll yield somewhere between a dozen and a dozen and a half cupcakes, depending on how full you ladle it. It also works great as a not-cup-cake, put in the proper pan and baked for more like 40-45 minutes. That is in fact how this recipe began its life.

Sorry for the late reply, but these were a huge hit with the vegan that they were made for. Thank you so much for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Creature posted:

Sorry for the late reply, but these were a huge hit with the vegan that they were made for. Thank you so much for this!

Glad to hear it.

I'm not vegan, but I am lacto vegetarian, so a lot of what I make is vegan or can be easily altered to be so. I'll try to post some good things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am not vegan, but my girlfriend is vegetarian with a desire to one day go all vegan. While you all will pry my butter from my cold, dead, buttery hands, I would like to learn some actually tasty and not soy-steak-reliant vegan dishes to make at home for her, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

This isn't an all-in-one dish, more of a component of one, but it's loving delicious and is my "vegan stand-by".

Press the water out of a block of extra-firm tofu. Once you've squeezed out as much as possible, cut into ~1.5 to ~2cm cubes. Toss these in a drizzle of a neutral oil like canola, or something like olive oil if you want the flavor of that. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, and put on a baking sheet into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir halfway so it browns evenly. It's chewy, meaty, salty and peppery, utterly delicious hot or cold. I think I'm going to make some tonight!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

The Midniter posted:

This isn't an all-in-one dish, more of a component of one, but it's loving delicious and is my "vegan stand-by".

Press the water out of a block of extra-firm tofu. Once you've squeezed out as much as possible, cut into ~1.5 to ~2cm cubes. Toss these in a drizzle of a neutral oil like canola, or something like olive oil if you want the flavor of that. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, and put on a baking sheet into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir halfway so it browns evenly. It's chewy, meaty, salty and peppery, utterly delicious hot or cold. I think I'm going to make some tonight!

This is my jam. It's really good with a miso glaze, too!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

Toss it with a bit of cornstarch for a crispy coating. I love how they puff up into fat little rounds things. They're sooo good.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

The Midniter posted:

Aaaand this and grilled mushrooms is what I'm going to make for a vegetarian friend this weekend at a barbeque!

Actually, on that note: can you recommend vegan dishes cooked on a grill?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bliss Authority posted:

Aaaand this and grilled mushrooms is what I'm going to make for a vegetarian friend this weekend at a barbeque!

Actually, on that note: can you recommend vegan dishes cooked on a grill?
From Afro-Vegan:

quote:

Grilled Zucchini with Mixed-Herb Marinade
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced, flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh chervil
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 zucchini, halved lengthwise
Freshly ground black pepper

Put the oil, lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, parsley, thyme, chervil, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the zucchini and toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, tossing occasionally.

Prepare a medium heat grill. Drain the zucchini, arrange on the grill grate, and grill until they begin to char, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn with tongs and cook for 4 to 6 more minutes.

Cut the zucchini into thirds crosswise, transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with pepper, and serve.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Potato and cabbage curry is one of the few meals I can make consistently well, and i think it's a good 'learning to cook' dish as it really shows the importance of cooking the spices and salting the meal correctly.
Add the spices at the end or use too little salt and its bland and boring, add the spices before anything else and use the right amount of salt and it's delicious.

quote:

3 tbsp. oil
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. red chile powder, such as cayenne
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
3 small chiles, sliced (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 small red onion, cut into 8 pieces
650g. potatoes, chopped chunky (chop smaller for shorter cooking time)
4 tomatoes, diced
1/2 small head green cabbage, chopped chunky
salt, to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high.
Cook cumin seeds until they pop, 1–2 minutes.
Add chile powder, turmeric, chiles, bay leaves, and onion; cook until onion is soft, 3–4 minutes.
Stir in potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage; cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
Near end of cooking, add salt to taste.

Notes: Occasionally add water after adding the potatoes to prevent burning.
Measures of potatoes and cabbage is not too important, just have roughly equal amounts.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thanks for that, I've never heard of an Indian potatoes and cabbage curry. I do that combo quite frequently but base it on the Ethiopian dish "Tikil Gomen", though it's evolved from the traditional basic one pot dish to "roast potatoes, onions, garlic with braised cabbage, carrots, ginger, chilli, tumeric and cumin".

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 5, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Toss it with a bit of cornstarch for a crispy coating. I love how they puff up into fat little rounds things. They're sooo good.

I made these last night, me and the woman were going to put it over a salad but while we were assembling the salad we ate all the tofu just popping them into our mouths.

Seriously everyone just needs to make it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Today is the New Year of Ancient Egypt and I'd like to make a traditional Egyptian (vegetarian) meal for my girlfriend. I don't know if anybody knows any traditional or popular Egyptian (and more particularly Egyptian than Arabic) meals that I could make, but if anyone has a recipe they could share, I'd be grateful. I did not see a Middle Eastern thread in the first five or six pages of GWS so maybe there's a better resource, but ya'lls got some tasty meat-free recipes up in this.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Falafel (with fava beans).

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Buy extra fava beans and make fūl.

Then make some more.

Always make fūl. Always. It's way more delicious than a sloppy bunch of beans and spices has any right to be.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Today is the New Year of Ancient Egypt and I'd like to make a traditional Egyptian (vegetarian) meal for my girlfriend. I don't know if anybody knows any traditional or popular Egyptian (and more particularly Egyptian than Arabic) meals that I could make, but if anyone has a recipe they could share, I'd be grateful. I did not see a Middle Eastern thread in the first five or six pages of GWS so maybe there's a better resource, but ya'lls got some tasty meat-free recipes up in this.

Koshary!

Ingredients
4 oz. ditalini or macaroni, cooked
2 oz. spaghetti, cooked
4 oz. brown lentils, rinsed
Kosher salt, to taste
1 cup cooked basmati rice (optional)
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
2 cups canola oil
1⁄4 cup flour
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar

Instructions
Combine ditalini and spaghetti in a bowl; set aside. Put lentils and 4 cups water into a 2-qt. saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 20 minutes. Season lentils with salt, drain, and transfer to a bowl along with rice and chickpeas; set aside.

Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Put flour into a bowl, add onions, and toss to coat. Working in 2 batches, add onions to hot oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels to drain; reserve oil.

Spoon 4 tbsp. oil from skillet into a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cumin, cayenne, and ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and remove from heat. To serve, divide pasta mixture between 4 bowls; top with lentil mixture and fried onions. Spoon tomato sauce over each bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Been making a lot of this lately;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHYmOefRNLk

- substituting red miso for the soy sauce in the pre-boil phase. 1tbsp./5oz. basmati.
It's dead easy, and fast to make. I want to phase out the sambal though, but I don't know what should take its place.

Made "pulled" jackfruit once. It's okay.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 7, 2015

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Not a vegan, but what started out as 'Meatless Monday' has turned into "vegan food is easier to prepare and store for lunch at work". I'm trying to make a new vegan dish when I need to make more lunches, and so far so good - though my family thinks I might die of malnutrition.

Perhaps salads are a little on the dull side, but I wanted to share my current favourite - chickpea salad it's a favourite because I already have most of the ingredients and it keeps the parsley plant out back in check.

Ingredients:
6 medium tomatoes
3 cups chickpeas
1.5 large red capsicums (or 2 medium)
9 spring onions
125ml olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

Method:
Chop tomatoes, spring onions and slice the capsicum. Combine with chickpeas, toss gently. Combine oil, lemon zest, juice and cumin and pour over the salad. Scatter parsley on the top, mix well and serve.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone have a good borscht recipe? I'm craving it but feel like something a bit different than a pot of whatever is handy in the larder beet soup I usually crank out.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I had a vegan lunch today almost, it had gyro meat on it but like the rice and olives and tomatoes and onions and pita were vegan I guess the feta cheese wasn't though

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nooner posted:

I had a vegan lunch today almost, it had gyro meat on it but like the rice and olives and tomatoes and onions and pita were vegan I guess the feta cheese wasn't though

k

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Let's say a guy has a dirt cheap rice cooker and 1.5 kilos of buckwheat groats. Any reason the cooker wouldn't work for a batch of kasha while trying to keep the kitchen cooler than running a propane burner for twenty minutes?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I'm hosting a BBQ and want to make vegan burgers to accommodate all guests. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or should I just buy pre-packaged ones?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If you buy prepackaged ones, double check that they're vegan, some brands like to put egg in their veggie patties.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

snyprmag posted:

I'm hosting a BBQ and want to make vegan burgers to accommodate all guests. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or should I just buy pre-packaged ones?

If you search google for "minimalist baker grillable burgers" you'll find my favorite vegan burgers so far. Also mary's test kitchen on youtube has seitan hot dogs that look amazing, if you try it let us know how it went, I haven't had the chance yet!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

snyprmag posted:

There are lots of good options. These black bean burgers are neat, and I like these although they're kind of time-intensive. Really though you can just mash up some black beans and whatever else sounds good (onions, garlic, bread crumbs, hot peppers, tomatoes, many spices, etc. etc. etc.) and you'll be good to go so long as you adjust the moisture. I wouldn't buy pre-packaged ones unless you're also buying pre-packaged meat burgers - the quality of the two is pretty much the same, which is to say pre-packaged is way inferior to homemade.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Let's say a guy has a dirt cheap rice cooker and 1.5 kilos of buckwheat groats. Any reason the cooker wouldn't work for a batch of kasha while trying to keep the kitchen cooler than running a propane burner for twenty minutes?

3 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 4 cup line.

EDIT: You have a tiny one. 1 1/2 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 2 cup line. The same ratio works when I'm making brown rice, millet, and quinoa.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are lots of good options. These black bean burgers are neat, and I like these although they're kind of time-intensive. Really though you can just mash up some black beans and whatever else sounds good (onions, garlic, bread crumbs, hot peppers, tomatoes, many spices, etc. etc. etc.) and you'll be good to go so long as you adjust the moisture. I wouldn't buy pre-packaged ones unless you're also buying pre-packaged meat burgers - the quality of the two is pretty much the same, which is to say pre-packaged is way inferior to homemade.

I ended up sort of following this advice and doing black beans, mushrooms, brown rice, onions, garlic, panko and spices. They looked good but didn't hold they're shape super well on the grill. Guests still ate them all up before I got a chance to see if they tasted any good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I almost made vegan food again for dinner tonight except for the steaks and then the butter on the corn I was grilling and then the butter I used in the pan after I ran out of propane for the grill and had to finish cooking the steaks on my cast iron pan inside.

But the peppers and the corn that didn't have butter on it and the lettuce was vegan!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

dino. posted:

3 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 4 cup line.

EDIT: You have a tiny one. 1 1/2 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 2 cup line. The same ratio works when I'm making brown rice, millet, and quinoa.

Ich danke Ihnen.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Nooner posted:

I almost made vegan food again for dinner tonight except for the steaks and then the butter on the corn I was grilling and then the butter I used in the pan after I ran out of propane for the grill and had to finish cooking the steaks on my cast iron pan inside.

But the peppers and the corn that didn't have butter on it and the lettuce was vegan!
this will never ever get old

how much cum did you put on your steak or did you decide to not work that one in because it would cause a hilarity overload

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 9, 2016

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Asked this in the general questions thread but it started going insane about the weight/volume of bacon bits or something.

franco posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for vegan brownies? I want to make some for a vegan friend and, although searching throws up a wide variety of them, reviews and methods of each recipe are all over the shop so I don't know where to start. It'd be nice to have one that's tried and tested by a trusted source (you lot!) tia.

I'm leaning towards this one at the moment. It seems like it should be good, but even then the comments are a mess of "the best!", "the worst!", "too oily!", "too crumbly!".

Anybody? :ohdear:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been, like, years since I made either of them them, but I think the the two brownie recipes in Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar are good, if you can get your hands on that book.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

franco posted:

Asked this in the general questions thread but it started going insane about the weight/volume of bacon bits or something.

I'm leaning towards this one at the moment. It seems like it should be good, but even then the comments are a mess of "the best!", "the worst!", "too oily!", "too crumbly!".

Anybody? :ohdear:

Minimalist Baker has several vegan brownie recipes.

http://minimalistbaker.com/simple-vegan-brownies/

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Apologies for the late reply. Cheers for the suggestions! I was a bit too time-starved to get my hands on that book before they needed to be done and that Minimalist Baker one looks great but same reason for not being able to get my hands on the dairy-free butter or the stuff to make flax eggs (difficult around these parts at short notice). I will definitely seek them out for future trials though, thank you :)

So I ended up braving the one I found/linked as I had everything to hand and can absolutely vouch for it. I don't know if the negative commenters were doing something vastly wrong or I got lucky, but they came out just the right combination of fluffy/cakey and fudgy/gooey.

Nice rise in the tray:

But! There is a criticism, only a small one. There is no drat way, no matter how careful you are, that they will come out in neat little squares. Behold the box I put together for the friend:

You can see I swiftly gave up on putting little waxy paper things in to keep them separate - it just wasn't happening. So, messy as hell but delicious. Vegan friend approved (and he is really fussy, even beyond the veganism, by his own admission, so that's high praise!). Omnivore me kept the rest and I honestly couldn't have detected that they were vegan if I hadn't made them myself. In fact I'd say they're better than a LOT of non-vegan ones I've had. Also really nice as a dessert, warmed with some cream (or vegan substitute, of course).

So, uh, I guess what I'm saying is: try 'em - they good :thumbsup:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I've been living on vegan "sushi bowls" lately. (Any food named "bowls" kinda gives me the creeps for some reason, but that's what they are.) My version, a take on garbagey, inauthentic but delicious Americanized sushi, features teriyaki tofu standing in for unagi. Method:

Press, dry and cube a block of extra-firm tofu and dredge it in cornstarch and salt. Shallow-fry in vegetable oil until crispy on all sides. While that's going on, whip up the sauce -- soy, rice vinegar, grated garlic and ginger, sesame oil and brown sugar, raw sugar if you want to avoid bone char. I'm a bad vegan, actually not much of a vegan at all, so I keep my head in the sand about that. You can add sake or mirin if you want to be fancy. Little cornstarch. Amounts are to taste. When tofu is done, pour off the grease and add the sauce. Cook, stirring, until tofu is coated and sauce is thickened. Set aside. You want it room temp.

Knock together a batch of sushi rice. While it's cooking, prep your other toppings -- any combo of sliced cucumber, sliced avocado (save this for the last minute), shredded carrot and/or daikon, sliced regular radishes, or whatever suits your fancy.

When rice is done and cooled, bowl it out and top attractively with all of above. You can make this look pretty psychedelic if you want. Mandatory garnishes are toasted sesame seeds, shredded nori, chopped scallions, and wasabi and pickled ginger deployed judiciously.

It's still hotter than blue blazes where I live and this is pretty much all I want to eat.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I stumbled on this page

https://thegentlechef.com
This chef seems to have pretty interesting alternative to meat and dairy product.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
gently caress fake food imho

Although to be honest I shouldn't be so strident. I was a recipe tester for this cookbook, which meant I made a couple fakey dishes (char siu bao with tempeh rather than meat, for instance) and it wasn't the end of the world, and in fact it inspired me to get out some non-vegan cookbooks I have and veganize some of the meat recipes using fakey poo poo like tempeh and seitan. I still think vegan food that's vegan from the get-go rather than vegan via swapping stuff in is the way to go most of the time, and I think the whole project of converting carnivores by feeding them lovely fake versions of their favorite food is a dead end that just turns people off of veganism, and I think fake poo poo's more expensive than just eating real vegan food, and I worry that the tempeh or whatever that I buy is full of chemicals that are doing lord knows what, but... it is nice to look at some sort of traditional Lebanese meat pastry or whatever and say "I can make this with tempeh" rather than "I guess I'll just never get to make this."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Having never had meat, I like faux meats because they're chewy and tasty, and same with tempeh (which I don't really think of as a faux meat, it has a long history). I get a much better reaction from meat folk when I present it as such rather than as a "this is supposed to be like meat" thing. But yeah, it's real nice to be able to alter meaty recipes to be suitable.

Anyway, yesterday I made vegan tempura, more-or-less following this recipe. Though for the sauce, I didn't have ponzu and I forgot to make dashi that morning, so instead I used 50/50 stock-from-a-jar/soy sauce with a few dashes of orange bitters, which was good.

I tempura'd a bunch of asparagus and (not pictured) a couple different kinds of pickles that I'd made a couple weeks ago. It was really good! I had to call my mom over to help eat it all.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Taking a dish and swapping the meat to store-bought soy pieces is boring, yes, and will probably not convince an old meat lover you can live without animal products. But tempeh and seitan is an interesting product in itself imo and can easily be made at home which is of course more appreciated by all. But yeah using soy stuff for every dish is expensive in the long run and feels boring, but I think it's good and like it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since people sometimes say "what do vegans eat," I decided to start taking pictures of some stuff I eat. Then I decided to stop. Then I decided to start again. Then I deleted some of the pictures from my phone because I needed space. But in any case some pictures remain, so, in case anyone's interested, here's a random smattering of food I've made in the past few months (I've been sitting on the pictures a while):

Sichuan cabbage (recipe)

Punjabi chole masala (recipe I think)

Kung pao cauliflower

Gowa mallum / Sri Lankan cabbage and coconut curry (recipe from this cookbook)

Quinoa rice sweet potato salad (based on a recipe from this cookbook)

Apologies for the lovely pictures. 99% of the time I take them right as the food is about to be finished, with my phone, without any time to worry about lighting or composition or whether there's steam all over the lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I am interested in your pictures of vegan food. I've been trying to eat a bit more I dunno mindfully? Which doesn't mean vegan necessarily, but certainly includes a lot of vegan food. Both those cabbage recipes look :discourse: