Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Nice to see another vegan thread!
I really liked the last one and I like my Dino-book, so I can't wait to see what I'll discover here.

Not an actual vegan either by the way, but I'm usually not a meat person when cooking for myself.

Today it's going to be couscous with onions, red pepper, garlic, orange zest + juice and chickpeas, together with grilled vegetables and raw spring onions.
I could eat that any day of the week.

Also, hummus is the best thing in the world, especially a turmeric/curry type (I hardly ever made it in a different way since I discover that one.....except for the occasional jalapeno honey type maybe)

anyway: vegan thread FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

jamesnnnnn posted:

hi folks,

i was vegan for a couple of years but stopped earlier this year after being diagnosed with a vitamin d deficiency. at the moment i'm leaning towards getting back into it - currently vegan + eggs, i'm a good vegetarian but not have never been a 'perfect' vegan.

does anyone have any advice for getting enough vitamin d or advice on avoiding any other possible pitfalls? eggs have most of the vitamins (i think) which is why i'm including them at the moment. i live in the uk so can't just lay around in the sun all day :(

from the wikipedia page:
Very few foods contain vitamin D; synthesis of vitamin D (specifically cholecalciferol; a.k.a., the one you need most) in the skin is the major natural source of the vitamin. Dermal synthesis of vitamin D from cholesterol is dependent on sun exposure.

question from me:
did you or a docter decide that your "vitamin D deficiency diagnosis" was a reason to quit being vegan?
because that really doesn't make any sense.

Anyway: eat mushrooms, tofu, (eggs and cheese), for example,
or eat vitamin D supplements, like you need to do (again) by the time you're 50 anyway (most people don't even know about that)
but the main thing is to step out into the sun, preferably with bare arms and legs as much as you can. You don't have to "lay around" for that, it wouldn't hurt to get on a bike instead of sitting in a car every chance you get, for example. Also, you should do sports anyway, so do them outside. It's that simple.

You live in a part of the world where a large part of the people is "vitamin D deficient", and it is very popular to get a "diagnosis" for it nowadays. Truth is, that grown up people with actual problems due to vitamin D deficiency, do not really benefit from being supplemented.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 28, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

jamesnnnnn posted:

when i had finished my vitamin d supplements they said that if i were to continue being vegan i should keep on taking supplements...

who has some good mushroom recipes?

Your diet does not matter when it comes to vitamin D deficiency (well, except for supplements with vitamin D3, which is what you need (D3 I mean)).
Considering your location, the fact that you're outside a lot already and your previous deficiency, you might want to take supplements anyway, although I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Now, mushrooms.........I think almost all food is great, but mushrooms rule.
It shouldn't be hard to find recipes, especially as a vegan/vegetarian (I grew up in an age where every vegetarian restaurant meal would either be something with mushrooms or something with goats cheese....or both. That's pretty much why I decided that i should stick to omnivorism)

This one is nice and festive though (and Christmas isn't needed)
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/vegan-mushroom-chestnut-cranberry-tart/#YpiGAToz3QFVd4LF.97
(I must admit that I've only had it with a regular egg/cream filling)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
So are yoga pants

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

fr0id posted:

So, what should I add to account for the extra vinegar taste to cut the beans’ richness? Just add straight vinegar? Pickle some onions and add them? Any other suggestions?

I'd say some piccalilly on the side would be awesome

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Needs a bit of flour (normal or chickpea flour (aka gram flour))

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

chestnuts, bacon, brussel sprouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm going to leave my dinner here, assuming it is vegan, but if it is not vegan you can virtually sue me and all that ;-)

Anyway, I've been using unicurd (silken tofu or pressed tofu), but this time I had only one choice: tahoe (which is indonesian for tofoe),
it turned out to be a lot firmer than the unicurd pressed tofu, so this will be my go to pressed tofu from now on! :3:

This evening I ate lettuce wraps (baby Romaine lettuce), with homemade danmuji and tofu (or should I say tahoe) with red onion, fresh ginger and a gochujang/brown sugar/soy sauce/rice vinegar-sauce
It was delicious!