Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

franco posted:

Asked this in the general questions thread but it started going insane about the weight/volume of bacon bits or something.

I'm leaning towards this one at the moment. It seems like it should be good, but even then the comments are a mess of "the best!", "the worst!", "too oily!", "too crumbly!".

Anybody? :ohdear:

Minimalist Baker has several vegan brownie recipes.

http://minimalistbaker.com/simple-vegan-brownies/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Made this the other day and it was sublime. I can't figure out why this was as good as it was. I make curry a lot, and comparatively it's such a simple dish.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Vegetarian carries the implication of following a strict Buddhist diet in a lot of Chinese influenced areas, and they also don't eat onion or garlic. Kind of like Kosher or Halal instead of what is usually referred to as vegetarian in the west.

Right. The thought is that garlic/alliums disturb the mind. It's why you'll see a lot of "vegetarian" versions of Asian sauces that normally are anyway.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Maximum Planck posted:

Anyone have a favorite tajine recipe? I made this one and while it tasted fine, it came out way too mushy — and I didn't even add the stock mentioned in the recipe. I bet the texture would have worked out if I'd added the vegetables in stages (looking at you, eggplant & zucchini) and maybe used a wider pan for more surface area.

While I'm at it, I'd welcome any other recipes that use harissa! I accidentally made a ton.

When I do tagine I usually do eggplant, chickpeas, golden raisins and sweet potatoes. I usually use ras el hanout instead of harissa and squeeze in some lemon juice at the end-- not sure if it's still considered a tagine at that point, but hey.

emotive fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 15, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I don't understand why something like a cashew based "cheese" is forbidden in this thread. It's a cultured nut product that belongs in vegan culture as much as tofu or anything else.

Can we not talk about almond milk in this thread either, because it's called "milk"?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Knockknees posted:

My brain is so dead today - figuring out what to make for dinner seems like an impossible task. All I know is that I've got two sweet potatoes I need to use, it needs to be vegan, and feed two people.

I'm pretty well stocked on pantry stuff but I'm out of all other produce. I can buy any ingredients or fresh produce that can be found at a small Mexican grocery store.

I'm bored of what I usually make with sweet potatoes. My usuals are: sweet chipotle "chili" , or sweet potato black bean tacos, or sweet potato hash. But even if you suggest something along those lines, I'd be happy if I could just think of a way to make it a little different or more special than what I usually do. I'm just in a brain-dead rut! Any ideas?

Bake the sweet potatoes, split them in half and top with chickpeas, a shitload of parsley/scallions and make a garlic tahini sauce to drizzle over it (if you have all that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

I came in this thread looking for Dino's vegan cookbook and now my mouth is watering. Ugly or not, it looks delicious!

Edit: Actually, does anyone have a recommendation for a vegan recipe book please? It's a Christmas present for someone who already has and uses the Thug Kitchen one.

The Mississippi Vegan book is fantastic and will fit in nicely with Thug Kitchen's stuff.