Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got some Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel seasoning blend and it goes well with my kale chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I see the use of freezing the potatoes before the cooking. I remember reading how to make homemade McDonald's french fries and by god the freezing before its second fry does help make them incredibly crispy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Your Instant Pot can do multiple things compared to a classic Dutch oven. The only advantage a Dutch oven has is if it's larger.

Or if you get the camping version with the feet & the flat top cover to put coals on.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

big scary monsters posted:

I made kimchi soondubu jjigae with mushrooms and kimchijeon. There were two big jars of kimchi to start with (I used the recipe with persimmon posted previously, turned out OK but less spicy than I usually make) but we already finished one.

Pickled cabbage is still fermenting but should be ready soon!
:nice:

I got some kimchi I made a couple months ago. I should make some soondubu jjigae with mushrooms, though I feel incomplete without an egg to crack into the bowl just before serving…

Just curious, did you swap out the anchovy broth for something else?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I find a little bit of fat on the exterior of whatever you put in an air fryer yields the best crispy results.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm gonna try my hand at smoked tofu this summer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For grilling tofu I have to do a lot of pre-prep in the form of squeezing it out & freezing it to get an incredibly firm texture. I sometimes end up using one of those grill skillets with the holes in it, which begs the question "Why am I not just cooking this indoors on my stove?"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I haven't tried grilled lettuce yet but I can see how the latent sugars being caramelised adding another layer of flavor being appealing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you have an oven with a broiler you can approximate the effect, as a broiler is just an upside-down grill.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Since yesterday was National Donut DayI had a vegan savory donut that was filled with bbq jackfruit. 10/10 would eat jackfruit bbq again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I love my Jetboil & I accept it's extra weight for my camping trips. I will ask my studio mate how they made some kick-rear end dehydrated vegan soup base next time I'm at work.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you could, wouldn't you?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Don't some sesame oils have lower smoke points than others? Kind of like the difference between extra virgin & regular olive oil?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I figured as much.

Now I wonder what extra virgin canola oil or coconut oil is like.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Time to drop a recipe bomb in the thread again.

Filipino Food: Fried tofu and "pork", "shrimp paste" rice. These two break my typical "no fake stuff" rule but the "pork" in the first recipe are these soy chunks that they eat all the time in India where I am, so I count those as a real food, not as a fake pork replacement, and the shrimp paste is the sort of ingredient that, if you have a good substitute, there's a lot more stuff you can cook, so it never hurts to see the options out there.

I'll have to try these out. Filipino food doesn't lend itself to vegan cooking but it's cool to see options available.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even though I grew up with Indian friends I never knew how they made their garam masala.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"Curry powder" unqualified usually means somethings like this. (So, not, not garam masala.) But it means various things in various contexts and it is a very vague term. I'm not sure I've even seen it for sale in India, and anyways it's used in effectively zero recipes. Nearby Sri Lanka does use various curry powders pretty often, from what I can tell, although their mixes are somewhat different than the typical mix in generic "curry powder" that you'd get at a typical store in most countries. The two main types of Sri Lankan curry powder are "roasted" and "unroasted/raw" and as you can imagine that is based on whether the spices are roasted pre-grind.

Now that I'm older I've been inadvertently making knockoff curry powder for my weekend shakshouka. :haw:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was introduced to fenugreek seed via Persian cuisines, though I've had it whole & utilized in stews. I shall try incorporating the ground version in more dishes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

eSporks posted:

I've been making kimchi with quartered brussel sprouts. It's really good! The Brussels stay crunchy and hold their texture a little better than cabbage.

You can literally pickle anything.

Brussel sprouts kimchi is now my default go-to as they don't get as slimy as Napa Cabbage.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Made some kadai mushroom with some chanterelles and served it with cauliflower rice.

quote:

Kadai mushroom gravy can be served with plain rice, flavored rice like jeera rice, ghee rice, roti, chapathi, butter naan or plain parathas. But the semi-dry version mostly goes well with any Indian flatbreads. It can also be packed in school & office lunch boxes.

Recipe:

For Sauting Mushrooms:

• White Button Mushrooms (Sliced) - 225 gm (8 oz)

• Oil - 1/2 tbsp

• Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp

• Salt - 1/2 tsp

For Sauting Onions & Bell Peppers:

• Green Bell Pepper (Cut into Cubes) - 2 Medium

• Oil - 1/2 tbsp

• Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp

• Salt - 1/2 tsp

• Onion (Cut into Cubes) - 1 Small

For Onion Tomato Paste:

• Oil - 1 tbsp

• Cumin Seeds

• Green Cardamom - 2

• Onion (Long Slices) - 1 Medium

• Peppercorns - 4 to 5

• Cloves - 5 to 6

• Salt - 1 1/2 tsp

• Ginger (Chopped) - 1 tbsp

• Garlic (Chopped) - 4 to 5 Cloves

• Tomatoes (Cut into Cubes) - 2 Medium

For Kadai Masala:

• Oil - 1 tbsp

• Water - 2 cups (250ml/cup)

• Coriander Leaves Chopped

• Fresh Cream* - 3 tbsp

• Dried Red Chilli - 2 Broken

• Bay Leaves - 2

• Green Chillies - 4 Slit

• Kasuri Methi - 1 1/2 tbsp

• Cinnamon Stick - 1/2 Stick (Broken into Pieces)

• Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp

• Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp

• Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp

• Salt for seasoning

• Cumin Powder - 1 tsp

• Coriander Powder - 1 1/2 tsp

Method:

1. ⁠Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add mushrooms, salt, & turmeric. This will take few minutes as mushrooms first release a lot of moisture and then start getting brown.
2. ⁠Suate until mushroom golden brown and keep aside.
3. ⁠Once heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add onions, green bell peppers, salt, & turmeric. Mix well.
4. ⁠Saute for 7 - 8 mins or till the sides start to get very light brown..
5. ⁠When cooked keep aside.
6. ⁠To make tomato onion paste, heat oil on medium flame.
7. ⁠Add the spices(listed under " For Onion Tomato Paste") and saute for 2 mins.
8. ⁠To it add onions and salt for seasoning.
9. ⁠Suate until the onion turns light brown in color.
10. ⁠Now add ginger & garlic pieces and saute till the raw smell goes away.
11. ⁠Next add diced tomatoes & salt. Mix well.
12. ⁠Cover and cook for 8 mins or until the tomatoes are soft & mushy.
13. ⁠When tomatoes are fully cooked, turn off the flame and transfer it into a blender.
14. ⁠Cool completely and grind/blend into a smooth paste.
15. ⁠For the kadai masala, heat oil in a pan on medium heat. To it add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, bay leaves, green chillies & dried red chillies.
16. ⁠Saute for 2 mins.
17. ⁠Next add onion tomato paste and mix well.
18. ⁠Now add kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin & coriander powder. Combine well.
19. ⁠Add kasuri methi & chopped coriander/cilantro leaves. Mix well.
20. ⁠Add sauted mushrooms, bell peppers & onions and mix well.
21. ⁠Add water and adjust the consistency.
22. ⁠Add salt if needed.
23. ⁠Let it simmer for 8 mins.
24. ⁠Add fresh cream and give it a quick stir and let it boil for 1 -2 mins.

Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve kadai mushroom hot with naan, rice or roti. Enjoy!!

NOTE: I have not added garam masala in this recipe as I have used whole spices in the onion tomato paste mixture. You can add it at the end if needed.
CLICK HERE for step-by-step video recipe.
*Replaced the cream with coconut milk.

:drat: this is good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO I'd go for a more Asian-style meal setup where there's no one singular star per se but several dishes that all play nice with each other, as well as small sides that round out the entire palette.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've never heard of "brightening oil" but that looks too simple to not try.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my favorite things about kimchi is that the technique works pretty well with other cruciferous vegetables. I learned about this from a friend whose wife would make kimchi but he hated the sliminess that Napa cabbage would make, so she made it with regular cabbage & he preferred that. I tried the same thing with brussel sprouts and it was :discourse:. Next up: trying to make kimchi with cauliflower.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hello thread. Even though I'm not vegan I've been following this on and off for a while, mainly because I like having a full range of culinary dishes at my disposal. Lent is coming up and my usual thing of going vegan during the period is near. Normally that doesn't seem tough but the caveat is that I've been doing keto for a while and because I'm a true Catholic in loving personal suffering, I'm going to do vegan keto for Lent. If people here got some vegan recipes that are also keto friendly I'd love to hear them.

Don't come at me with your hot keto takes either. I've done keto vegan the last 2 years during Lent but I want more recipes in my repertoire.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Alas chickpeas aren't that keto friendly as they're pretty heavy on carbs.

Pita bread can be low on carbohydrates if I shop carefully or make it myself. I found this recipe that I'm willing to give a go; I'll post up later this week when I try it with my results/verdict.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ultimately I'd like to keep under 30g of total carbohydrates for the day.

I've done it before but it was by eating salads & vegetable broth the entire time. Needless to say it was a gigantic challenge but I use this period to reassess my nutrition goals and figure out where and how to get to my next stage.

I do want to state that I don't have anything against chickpeas or other classic vegan staples, but since they have a tendency to be used as filler and are incredibly carbohydrates dense, I can't eat a lot of it and remain in ketosis.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Alright, with that level of carbs in mind

Lemon garlic roasted asparagus

Southwest cauliflower rice

Sesame roasted green beans

Lemon and herb baked tofu

Roasted brussels sprouts

Those are some I've made in the past couple weeks that are fairly low carb, mostly side dishes. I'll have to dig through the other stuff I've liked and see if anything else is low enough carbs.

Thank you very much! I've bookmarked those links and I am looking forward to trying those out.

The local farmers market will be open tomorrow so I'll see if I can grab provisions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Figured the vegetable broth I made earlier in the week would be good as a base for some soondubu jjigae, and I was right!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pressure cookers are kind of cool but you need to pay attention to them.

I've gone the other direction and use my slow cooker a lot as I can just set & forget, so it does it's thing all day while I'm at work.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got a Zojirushi NL-BAC05SB coming in today and while it's more for my housemate that eats more rice than me, I may take it for a spin.

Plot twist: I'm an Asian that's gone full keto and my housemate is a white weeb.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Because I'm :corsair: my pressure cooker is a stovetop one*.

*I tried looking for it in my kitchen and I think it got lost during a move. Now I wish I got an Instant Pot instead of that Zojirushi rice cooker!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You could always try adding some sugar and fat to counteract the acidity & mustard flavor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm a fan of making zucchini noodles (or as the kids call them, zoodles). I take a mandolin with the julienne cutter and make small strips with them. Then I can use them in with regular pasta sauces.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We're not going to do the legwork for you to acquire boob milk. That's on you & your local Craigslist posts to figure that out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Olives & mushrooms are my favorite pizza toppings.

As for replacing the cheese, maybe use vegan pesto that substitutes the Parmesan with nutritional yeast then slice tomatoes instead of using a classic red sauce.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
How well does tempeh freeze? I purchased some with the intent of using it last Friday at a beach retreat I was in but another person made some bomb-rear end curry so it was not used. Is there any techniques to thawing it?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The times I've had vegan chocolate cakes applesauce was used for the egg substitute. Barely tasted the apple at all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've had the prepared jackfruit BBQ stuff you can get at the store and it's fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hell yeah vegan ice cream sandos

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Made some vegan corned beef using both frozen semi-firm tofu & regular refrigerated extra-firm tofu. Purple potatoes & carrots were from the farmers market, and the cabbage came from a coleslaw package I had left over. I did use one beet to "color" the water but I wasn't happy with the results so I added red food coloring... which still didn't do much.

Unfortunately I ran out of time to eat this so the entire batch I made will be delegated to meal prep for the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Made soondubu jijgae for the week. My alteration was cooking the king oyster mushrooms & the zucchini separately by scoring them then searing it in a cast iron pan, which in the end was honestly for looks.

This was just a quick plating for internet pictures; a lot more was put into containers for work.