Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Taking a dish and swapping the meat to store-bought soy pieces is boring, yes, and will probably not convince an old meat lover you can live without animal products. But tempeh and seitan is an interesting product in itself imo and can easily be made at home which is of course more appreciated by all. But yeah using soy stuff for every dish is expensive in the long run and feels boring, but I think it's good and like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Some friends of mine have done meringues with the chickpea water from a can/packet and using a hand-whisk will get you nowhere.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Ulio posted:

I have been vegetarian for almost 2 years now. I am going go vegan since I don't eat dairy or egg products at all either. What are some types of food that have dairy or egg in it that are otherwise unnoticeable?

You will develop some sort of eagle eye when you are reading the ingredient label on stuff to see if it's vegan or not.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah, whatever goes with pickled onions and the greens because that's where I feel balanced and close at hand. In particular, I have many cans of black beans and was wondering if there is a hummus-like spread I can make out of them, possibly mixing up the other flavors to match, such as moving from red pickled onions to yellow, where I can involve turmeric to connect with the cumin that I would naturally put in the bean item.

Is there a recipe or keyword I should look out for if I want something like that and lasts a week in the fridge?

...as I type out the question I realize I can just Google it and it turns out the keyword is "dip." Thank you, thread, for laying the backbone on which to affix my curiosity.

Garlic, grated ginger, black beans, juice of lime, maybe some chili flakes, cumin, fried in a pan and mashed off heat. I'll try to make it and post pictures tonight!

That sounds very good. For spreads I have been doing a simple thing by mixing kidney beans, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, adding salt and pepper to taste once a week lately.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
""vegetarian" in a lot of these places means no onion or garlic"

Huuuh?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Zenithe posted:

Vegetarian carries the implication of following a strict Buddhist diet in a lot of Chinese influenced areas, and they also don't eat onion or garlic. Kind of like Kosher or Halal instead of what is usually referred to as vegetarian in the west.

Okay, never seen nor heard of that. I get it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I searched the forums but only found a thread I couldn't post in anymore from 2005.
But I'm going to New York in a few weeks. Are there some stand-out places that are very good there?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Ras Het posted:

All vegans should take B12 supplements really. Fiddling with fortified foods is infinitely harder and not really more beneficial in any way. Every other nutritional need you can fulfill easily with a balanced diet.

Yeah, this. Nutrition Facts has a video on it as well.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Good job managing to eat so much coconut milk. After making a dish with it + leftovers the next day I get tired of it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Yeah it's a must have in the kitchen. But I need a short break after having eaten it too much.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

accord posted:

Adding to pizza chat: people need to give cheeseless (and cheezeless) pizzas a chance! Probably the most impressive dish I've ever served guests was a rosemary potato pizza. It's thin-sliced yellow potatoes tossed in olive oil and spices and layered on a crust. That afore-linked blogger also has a very good crust recipe.

The potato pizza is great. Try adding some lemon juice on it aswell.

My fav pizza toppings are

Tomato sauce, garlic, olives, oregano, fresh button mushroom, onion.

I ate in Estonia and I guess it’s a proper marinara pizza (except the mushrooms) which shouldn’t include mozzarella.

e: When I go for pizza with friends I order whatever Vegetarian one they have and just tell them to omit the cheese and its great. Really not needed at all. Unless they offer a plant based slimy option.
The best place in the city use muhammara as a base insted of tomato sauce on their vegan pizza and holy poo poo you need to try that asap.

von Braun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 10, 2018

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Avocado piece and those sweet, fried tofu ones that is like a sheet covering the rice. Fried (or grilled?) tomato with the skin removed.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Tapenade is a classic party spread that I think most people enjoy.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Cool, I've only had similar dish with jackfruit which I also always put in chili. Next time I might use those mushrooms instead in chili. Should be good.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Rhubarb kissel is what we always make.

http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2009/05/rhubarb-fruit-soup-aka-rhubarb-kissel.html

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Chanterelle toast, pasta or a sauce.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
just buy the jackfruit canned in brine. it's very good in loads of stuff especially chili.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Hellman's is good. Making your own is easy too but I've never done it. Like, soy milk, canola oil, lemon juice and dijon.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I forgot about aquafaba, you can use that instead of course.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Anyone have any good recipes with harissa? Googling is a bit tricky, all I get is recipes how to make harissa, but I have a whole tin of the stuff already.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Thanks for the harissa stuff. I made a couple of soups and one more dish I don't remember what it was, heh.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Accretionist posted:

Love the thread! I'm finally trying to make the jump and this is a great resource.

Crispbread with anything you can spread. Tabbouli, hummus, harissa, duxelle, peanut butter, etc.

They don't break up. Minimal crumbs. ~35 cal ea.

I've been buying Wasa's. At my local grocer, it's $3.50 per pack of 20, or, $0.17 each.

As a swede I eat 100kg crisp bread a year and I couldn’t stand peanut butter on it. :(

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Toasting a slice of bread in a toaster takes 1 minute with no flipping needed.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
whatever store brand oat milk that is the cheapest

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I put jackfruit in chili, it's works great imo.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Vinestalk posted:

This is fuckin genius. I haven't had chili in years because I couldn't figure out what to put in it.

Depending on how it comes, i buy it in canned with brine in triangles. Just tear them up a little and it will be stringy and chewy and doesnt lose its texture.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
roasted aloo gobi sounds like a nice dish

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Zenithe posted:

Made this: https://minimalistbaker.com/saucy-moroccan-spiced-lentils/

No idea what this recipe actually is, seems like it's just spiced lentils with koshari sauce, but it tastes good. I had it with ras el hanout couscous.

Made this last week and i would make again. very good sauce

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
My goto is chopped button mushrooms and fried black beans that you slightly crush. Fry some onion, garlic and maybe a chili pepper first then add the mushroom and beans.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Ate that at home when I was a kid all the time, and in school. Havent had it in ages

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Use it on pizza instead of tomato sauce!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
New (or 'fresh' in Sweden) potato salad is a fav.

https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/recipe-simple-potato-salad/

The dill is important and chives. Put a bunch of dill in the boiling water with the potatoes and add more fresh dill when serving.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Available everywhere in sweden too.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Most common curry powders that everyone has eaten in Sweden has coriander, tumeric, fenugreek, cayenne, cumin, fennel, black pepper. Some brands add small amounts of ginger, cinnamon, cardamom. Just a generic spice mix.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
No vaniljbullar?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
That sounds awful, I love jackfruit. I should make jackfruit chili soon...

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Here people just pick chanterelles, bags filled with the stuff. Too bad I hate them. :(

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Sweet and chili is a very tasty combo

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Make a big ol batch of pico de gallo and sumac onions (I've had it made with brown/yellow onions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
You could also just dump them into the sauce and cook them there