Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hing is pretty good, and it has the side effect of making you less gassy, which is a weird feeling. You can make a good quorn (or whatever) spag bol with it too.

I also discovered a few months back that I can actually eat cheese in small amounts, and it was onions and garlic all along that were the issue. Makes cooking more difficult, and going out for a meal is pretty interesting now, but at least I'm not in constant, constant pain any more.

"hi, yeah, I don't want the meat option, what on your veggie/vegan menu doesn't have cheese, or onions, or garlic in"
"....Uhhh, we can maybe do you some chips?"

You can always see the fear creeping up their face as you speak, and hear the slight note of panic in their voices as they go through the till-menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can make a nice pate out of them I think.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Had to cut back the nettles back a bit so I could get down my garden, and figured I may as well give them a go. I've had this username 10 years and always been too wary to actually try them.

Steamed and then mixed with fried potatoes and breadcrumbs, and a couple of vegan meatballs. Really tasty, but that first bite, where I wasn't sure if they were gonna bite me back or not, was a real worry.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's not super healthy, but my depression-meal is panko-breaded sweet potato (bread them, fry until the right colour and then oven bake for 10 minutes), rice and a japanese/chinese curry sauce from paste, with some random veg thrown in. (generally golden curry or maysan paste, I think maysan is more likely to be vegan)

Cook enough rice and you can have like 3 meals out of it with minimal effort.

The only pic I have is from I got halfway through making it the other day, discovered I had no breadcrumbs left and ended up using plain instant noodles for the breading. Admittedly I used eggs from my own chickens to stick it, but you can sub that out easily enough, or leave out those for just easy curry rice.

From what I remember, the second pic is with potato, sweet potato, courgette and some turnip or parsnip. I can't eat onions, so none of that.

Lately I've been using the leftover rice to do a nice fried rice with whatever veg is left in the fridge, courgette, broccoli, some aubergine... Fry with a little garlic-infused oil and whatever, steam the veg for a bit, then throw in some soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, msg and the rice, and cook until it's dry. It works! Maybe some of that mushroom sauce, too...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pookah posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did search the thread but it is big and packed with many beautiful recipes), but does anyone know of a good site/resource for vegan dessert and cake recipes that is NOT also gluten-free/'healthy' sugars/weird grains?
My mother's a vegan who loves cakes etc but does not give two shits about anything else, since she's vegan for ethical not health reasons. So many sites seem to pile every other food intolerance and exclusion on top of being vegan and it's tiresome when you just want a big ol sugary fatty vegan cake.

Such a pain, not vegan (I have my own chickens) but lactose intollerant, and the amount of stuff that's trying to force you to use coconut flour or whatever the gently caress when you search for alternate recipes...

Have you tried rice pudding with milk-alternatives, like oat or almond milk?

https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-cooking-times/2-to-3-hours/baked-rice-pudding/

Maybe a nice Bread and Butter pudding?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-vegan-bread-pudding-recipe-3377388

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

SpannerX posted:

How about merange made with chickpea water?

My boyfriend made this and marshmallows with the chickpea water (aquafaba?) I think he made a pretty good custard with it at one point too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This was a delicous beetroot stew my boyfriend made because we'd accidently opened two tins of plum tomatoes and had chickpeas boiled already. Fresh beetroot, chickpeas, celery, frozen sweetcorn, spring greens and the tinned tomatoes as the base, I don't know what if any spices he put in, but it was delicous with fresh pitta bread and a little bit of salad, the beetroot gave it a really lovely colour.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't know which has been worse for me. Discovering I'm allergic to something I'd never tried before but was really, really good (some random fruit I picked up and have since forgotten what it was because it's so unavailable usually here, so that's fun! Mystery allergy!), or developing an allergy later in life to something I previously really enjoyed. ...I miss carrots

I miss garlic and onions. :sigh: So many recipies that start with "First chop two onions..."

Pretty sure my boyfriend is gonna go home to his family for christmas and the first thing he's gonna do is put like 8 onions and a whole garlic bulb in the oven and just have that for dinner.

^ Those mushrooms look amazing though. :3:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We discovered that Aldi do "wonky mushrooms", which is a big tray of kinda dirty but otherwise normal enough mushrooms for, I think, £1.40.

Everything we've been eating lately has had a nice mushroom filling or sauce, and I'm here for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's gonna be a lotta not-cheese. Hope you have some way of moving the barrel!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Somebody here recommended roast sprouts. Had a sprout-stalk left over so we roasted in the oven today, then scraped out the innards and mixed it with salt and pepper and olive oil.

Tasted strongly like wasabi, quite strange but not bad!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Partner tried doing the fried cucumber for dinner, along with some other stuff. They were delicious. Like courgettes, but cheaper and tastier!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I bought a new dryer a few months ago and it came with a free sachet of "scent boosters"

I opened the packet of the packet to have a whiff, and then threw them away. I don't mind the smell of most washing powders and stuff, but they were too much for even me, and I hadn't even got the packet properly open.

Here's some red bean paste buns to make this post about food:

Just generic bread dough I always have about. Baked half in the oven, and steamed the others. The steamed ones were the best, but the oven ones were also pretty good once they were cold.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That stir fried cucumber with some noodles or rice has become one of our go-tos. Lots of broccoli and spinach too.

We eat a lot of rice and lao gan ma. Make a pot of rice at breakast, leave it sitting cold on the stove over the course of the day, and it makes two or three quick meals. Most varieties of Lao Gan Ma seem to be vegan, and we always have a jar of the black bean or the mushroom one open in the fridge. It's fantastic stuff.

We made sushi for dinner the other day. The only non-vegan thing in it was mayo, and that's extremely easy to sub. Nori, rice, cucumber, bell peppers, mayo, carrot and lao gan ma. We sometimes just eat it as we make it.

We made patatas bravas for breakfast the other day (which wasn't quick, but was pretty easy, and declious, and would have left us potatoes boiled for another meal if we needed)

...We've gone through 5kg of sushi rice in like, a month, I need to order more.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Chickpeas are great to have on hand. Blend them up for hummous, add some salt, pepper and olive oil for a quick salad, mash em up and put them on bread, add them to sauces and stuff, fry them up with your cold rice. Always good to keep a few tins in the cupboard.

One of our main breakfasts is hummous and pitta bread. Pitta bread is fun and very easy to make, and you can use the dough for all sorts of other things too. (Dough balls, pizza, red bean buns...)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jul/13/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pitta-bread

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah that's fair, I was responding to the post above for lazy meals still and hadn't really seen your keto needs. It sounds like a tough diet, good luck with it! I've given stuff up for lent and advent in the past, but not recently. My mum gave up chocolate one year and my dad coffee, and I think that may be the reason they divorced.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

[...] eggplant "unagi" (not Chinese, obviously).
They were all very good, but the unagi was the real stand out.[...]

It was delicious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

I make soy yoghourt using one of these easiyo yoghourt makers, which makes the whole thing a breeze. It was like $25AUD, and was genuinely such a good purchase.

I tried using the oven light method, but my oven light seems to have absolutely no impact on the temperature of my oven.

I use a specific brand of soy milk every time, because trial and error has taught me that this one works the best. (It's the Coles organic original, but I don't think you're in Australia.)
I began by using a store-bought live culture coconut yoghourt as my starter, then just kept it going. It's tasty, but very runny; definitely a pourable consistency.
I decided to use a culture I bought online to try and improve the thickness. The result is about the same thickness but more mucilaginous, and I'm not a fan; once I run out of this culture, I'll go back to the original method.
After 12+ hours in the easiyo, the yoghourt has separated: thick yoghourt on the top, gross-looking yellowish water on the bottom (I think this is whey ?). If you wanted a thicker yoghourt, you could just scoop off the thick stuff. I just mix it all together.

e: to use the easiyo, you just mix your milk and starter in the container. Pour boiling water into the thermos, pop the container in, and let it sit for the desired time. 12 hours minimum, I prefer around 16. In cold weather, I'll replace the boiling water once if I can be bothered, but it seems to work either way.

Nettle's partner here: Thanks for this recommendation, Nettle saw it a ages ago, and it had to "ferment for a while", but eventually she grabbed a used one off of e-bay. We started it off with a spoonful of supermarket yogurt (on the day of the best before date) and the cheapest available soy milk, setting our expectations low and letting it do its thing for roughly 15-20 hours, and it worked much better than we would have dared to hope. The first look inside the jar may be off-putting if you're not used to staring down the barrel of delicious fermentation processes, but it had a surprisingly smooth and spoonable texture, mild taste, and it had even lost the somewhat notable soy flavour the milk comes with. I wouldn't mind if it were a little tangier, but it was definitely a great success for a first try!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Breakfast the other day. Porridge, covered in yogurt with an orange and topped with black treacle. :3:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It was delicious, the black treacle brought it all together with a hint of bitterness.

I didn't really mix it up much though, and the porridge we make tends to be thick enough to stand a spoon up in.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I feel like making dumpling wrappers, any good filling ideas? I can't eat onions, but garlic is tentatively ok.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 3, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I was honestly gonna just google for a recipe, seems to be just flour and water. Gyoza look good too though. We have a bamboo steamer and will probably steam over cabbage leaves.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegetable-gyoza
https://healthynibblesandbits.com/how-to-make-dumpling-wrappers/ < Probably gonna go with this one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://cardamomandtea.com/551/the-best-way-to-soak-falafel/

We made Falafels. Was a bit skeptical at first, with the article's dismissal of tinned chickpeas, but they turned out extremely good and we are converted. 100%, would (and did!) make again!

Do you have a recipe for the cardomon bread? It looks very good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Colonel J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGIdQDCSwQ

Sorry for the clickbaity video, but I enjoyed this. I never had much success with caramelized onions, but boiling them until the water evaporates and then cooking a bit more with oil is really simple and I like the end result. I've been eating this as a condiment for breakfast tofu scramble wraps.

This is what my partner has been doing with mushrooms lately, it's very good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Might try the wellington at Christmas! Offered to cook for my grandma and aunt, picking up the most ethical meat we could find from a local farm and everything, because they don't understand meals without meat, but no, "that's too much work, it's too much, so we've already ordered food from the local <chain buffet place>."

"how about you come the day after and bring some food, if you must, or we can pick you up something from the buffet?"

So we may as well stay vegan for it and make something fancy, why not!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I accidently ended up with half a kilo of Garam Masala, if you have some curry recipies!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

dino. posted:

Jesus gently caress. Freeze all of it, and take it out of there as needed. As soon as spices are ground, they start losing their flavour. Don't fall into that trap.

Will do, I'd actually ordered cinnamon and they sent this instead.

The mashed turnip looks good, and I do have one in the fridge!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 25, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It was supposed to be a kilo :v:

We go through it, with cinnamon-based teas, porridge and stuff in the mornings, partner made up a big jar of cinnamon sugar, that sort of thing. We normally use Ceylon because it's healthier? But this was cassia, for a stronger flavour and more occasional use.

I made parathas last night, using olive spread instead of ghee, and they came out pretty good for something I've never made before. Would recommend.

We had them with a leftover... I'm still gonna call it a curry, because it was a spicy sauce made out of last nights sauce, and things from the fridge and cupboard, of no particular region, recipe or demonination, and I can't think of any better way to define it.

Anyway.

https://holycowvegan.net/khasta-parathaparotta/

Pretty good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Doughnuts, from this recipe:
https://www.christinascucina.com/perfect-yeast-doughnuts-sugar-filled-jam-nutella-cream/

I used soy milk and lemon juice instead of buttermilk, olive spread instead of butter and 3 tablespoons of aquafaba instead of eggs, and somehow they still came out fine. :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I didn't have a cutter so I just made a hole in the center of the ball and then stretched them as you would bagels, and I didn't bother with the parchment paper step. :suicide: I'm honestly surprised they came out as good as they did. The bigger we stretched them, the better they were though.

Rolling them in cinnamon sugar and eating them with coffee made them go from good to amazing, even though I couldn't eat very much of those ones because sugar.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know how good vegan ghee tastes? Also how storable is it after opening, the place here only sells 1kg cans. Not even sure if I have space in the fridge.
This kind of thing:

I don't see why it wouldn't freeze just fine.

I hate the fact that when I put "vegan" or even just "sugar free" or "lactose free" into google it also gives me "gluten free, wheat free, no GMO grains, everything coconut all the time!" results, like these are all things jammed together and if you can't eat one then you can't eat any of them. It's like Famine from Good Omens is out designing food blogs now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pretty sure my partner has made cheesecake out of silken tofu, might be worth a google.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Awesome, they look great!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think this was mentioned here at some point? https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-jennie-cooks-zucchini-b-121770

Supposedly keeps in the fridge for a week, or you can freeze it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 11, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Large mushrooms sliced thin can be good where you would normally use meat, but I guess you already got that. Don't knock Seitan either, you can do a lot with it and it's easier to make than it looks.

Giving up cheese is my main block. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Celery often works as an onion sub in recipies too, if nobody is allergic to it. Mostly ones which are using onion to add bulk.

Also, one person might be tired of falafels, but I'm not, they're awesome.
https://cardamomandtea.com/551/the-best-way-to-soak-falafel/

Our food processor broke so we haven't made them in a long time, and I miss them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm pretty sure this was vegan, so: Crispy chilli "beef"

Adapted from : https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/crispy-chilli-beef/

I used steamed washed-flour seitan instead of beef. The seitan had some mediocre dried chipotle chilli and some boullion powder in before I steamed it, I steamed it in a bowl because it was blocking the steamer holes.

I used a flour/water slurry instead of egg, and 1/3 of an aubergine instead of onion, for texture. I added quite a bit of 5-spice powder to the starch, too.

It was really, really good, but I shouldn't have added salt to anything except the sauce, there was too much. I also added a big pinch of sugar instead of the ridiculous amount the recipe called for, and I think it could have done without even that.

Notes for next time: No sugar, maybe a reduced-salt soy sauce?

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 8, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It can also be nice over rice, as a simple meal.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pickled mustard greens are nice, maybe you could do something similar.

https://jabberwockystew.net/2019/09/09/karls-japanese-pickled-turnip-greens/
https://thewoksoflife.com/pickled-mustard-greens-haam-choy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Aquafaba from chickpeas is normally pretty good.