Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Awesome start, TC. There's plenty of stuff to get most questions answered. Going to write more when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly, I've found that my friends who eat meat have been extremely accepting of my food, even if they're the sorts who'd usually eat mostly meat. I think the thing that worked for me was to make things that are vegan to begin with, rather than try to imitate things that they've been used to eating all their lives. So if I make up a batch of dosa and the potatoes that go with them, it's a completely new experience and not something that can be dismissed as "not as good as the real thing".

Mind you, I'll make seitan (from vital wheat gluten) for my husband, because I know he enjoys seitan.

I'll put it this way. When my mum was entertaining friends who were clueless Americans (sorry, but that's the only word I can think of), she wouldn't go through the trouble of making specific South Indian dishes that she knew they wouldn't appreciate. The same goes for clueless Indians.

She told me a story about a time she had a friend coming over back when she was in Delhi. She found a recipe for macaroni and cheese in the pressure cooker so that it gets the crispy topping like if you'd baked it in the oven (most Indian homes don't have an oven). It took her the better part of two or three hours to make, because she had to search up and down the shops to find the cheese, and the macaroni, and go through the whole rigamarole of making the thing. The friend came over, and poured rasam over it, and said that the weird rice was lovely.

So that seitan thing that I make for my husband, which takes no time at all to mix up, but has a pressure cooking step and a roasting step, isn't something I'd make for someone who's going to think of it as a fake meat, or a less than thing. I'd sooner make it for my husband, who's going to see it as its own thing, and enjoy it as such. There are bunches of really fun recipes that don't involve Weird Vegan Ingredients™ which will be delicious and filling.

I've found that with groups of people who generally are on those meat-heavy diets, making lots of different varieties, so that there's plenty to try makes it so that everyone gets full before they get a chance to try all the varieties. For example, my friend T------ had a party at her house for her dog. She wanted me to come over and help her make different varieties of noodles (because the dog's name is Noodles). We made pad thai, vegetable and pasta salad of some sort, a stir-fry, tteok guk, a vegan macaroni and cheese thing (it's a recipe I've been making for ages with coconut milk, and comes out lovely), a noodle kugel, and a couple of other dishes that I can't recall. Also, cake in the shape of a bowl, with frosting on top in the shape of noodles. There were so many different kinds of things to try that by the time everyone got to the end of the first round of dishes, they were full regardless of what their diets are. Mind you, T------'s friends run the gamut from picky to adventurous, so we wanted to have enough things that are interesting and appealing looking, so that everyone could have something they can gravitate towards. It was a lot of fun too!

Your mileage will vary. If your friends are assholes, there's not much to be done for it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Does that mean you have a vegan kugel recipe? Or was the kugel not vegan?

It was vegan! I'll ask my friend for the recipe. We found some wider noodles at the Chinese market and they worked great.

The Mac and cheese is on my blog under Dino's Mac and cheese. :3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bartlebee posted:

All right, dino, you son of a bitch, I'm finally gonna buy your book because of this thread. I'll try to post some of my butcherings of your recipes. You get a decent percentage of sales on the kindle version?

Yeah, the e-books give me a higher percentage of royalty.

THAT SAID. The mac and cheese recipe is on the blog only, as is the lemon rice.

Lemon rice is one of those things that's so simple that I never thought anyone would want a recipe for it. So the lovely Toast put it up on the wiki:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Lemon_Rice

Like, seriously, when someone asked me for the recipe, I was baffled, because it'd be like asking someone for a recipe to make pasta with garlic and oil. You make a pasta, and put garlic and oil on it, and some herbs you have lying around. My mum would make it for potlucks and temple events, because it was something that was inexpensive enough that she could afford to make it for a large quantity of people. All the other foods, like daal, or vegetables would end up costing too much in ingredients, and our family was way too poor for that to happen.

It's not that I got sick of it, but I thought of it as really common, basic food that you make when you don't have anything in the house. In Florida, you always have citrus fruits lying around. Worst comes to it, you go to the neighbour's house and pick some lemons. We also always had the spices in the house so that was easy enough too. If I don't have ginger, I leave it out. However, it really is delicious when you do add it in. If I don't have nuts, I leave those out. I never have curry leaves, so my lemon rice has been made without curry leaves since I left Florida back in 2007. If you can find it, go for it.

Basically, the important parts are:
- rice
- mustard seed
- cumin seed
- turmeric
- lemon juice (you can use bottled if you live in an area where the lemons are terrible)

Everything else is just bonus.

Bear in mind that in the variations, I have very nontraditional things to do if you're not fussed about tradition, and just want something tasty.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

This isn't an all-in-one dish, more of a component of one, but it's loving delicious and is my "vegan stand-by".

Press the water out of a block of extra-firm tofu. Once you've squeezed out as much as possible, cut into ~1.5 to ~2cm cubes. Toss these in a drizzle of a neutral oil like canola, or something like olive oil if you want the flavor of that. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, and put on a baking sheet into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir halfway so it browns evenly. It's chewy, meaty, salty and peppery, utterly delicious hot or cold. I think I'm going to make some tonight!

Toss it with a bit of cornstarch for a crispy coating. I love how they puff up into fat little rounds things. They're sooo good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Let's say a guy has a dirt cheap rice cooker and 1.5 kilos of buckwheat groats. Any reason the cooker wouldn't work for a batch of kasha while trying to keep the kitchen cooler than running a propane burner for twenty minutes?

3 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 4 cup line.

EDIT: You have a tiny one. 1 1/2 of the rice cooker "cups" of kasha. Fill to the 2 cup line. The same ratio works when I'm making brown rice, millet, and quinoa.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wow that was a douchey read. It's loving depression cake. It's not meant to use expensive ingredients like olive oil. You can use literally any cheap oil you have because the flavour of the oil is not present. The chocolate comes through. Also, because she over did the cocoa the cake isn't as high as it can be. I've made this cake a bunch of times and it comes out nice and high. Wtf was the point of olive oil?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

kloa posted:

Is there a chocolate cake/brownie recipe that doesn’t have that oil aftertaste?

One of my roommates is vegan, while I’m not, but I try to include her when I make dishes.

Depression cake doesn't have an oil aftertaste.

Chocolate Cake
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder (baking powder optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar.

Whisk to combine the dry ingredients thoroughly.

In a separate bowl, combine water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar.

Grease a 9" cake pan, and dust with flour.

When the oven is finished preheating, combine the wet and dry ingredients, and stir as few times as possible to make a cake batter. It will be a runny batter, so don't worry if it looks really liquidy. Because of the large quantity of liquid, don't worry about over mixing the batter. Pour batter into cake pan.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

I've made it with canola oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, or whatever the crap margarine that was lying around, and it's come out fine. I've used apple juice in place of the water, and cut back on the sugar, and it's come out fine. My friend wanted it to be shaped like a bowl, so that she could decorate it with frosting from the can, so I bumped up the flour, eased back on the water a skosh, and it came out fine. I had a friend who didn't want it quite so sweet, so I cut out 1/3 of the sugar, and it was fine. Had another friend who wanted it to be "healthier", so we subbed out peanut butter in place of the oil, and it was fine. Once, I made it and we had nothing but balsamic vinegar. It came out fine.

Seriously. Shut up and make the actual depression cake. The original recipe calls for hot water. I've never bothered. I just throw in room temperature. If you want it to be a little bit more tender, remove 3 TB of the flour, and replace it with 3 TB of cornstarch, potato starch, or arrowroot, and it'll do it. If you want to go for lower fat, substitute about 1/2 the oil for apple sauce, and the other half for peanut butter, sunflower butter, or almond butter. It'll come out fine.

It doesn't work so great with chocolate chips stirred in, because the batter is so loose that the chips sink to the bottom and cause stickage. That time didn't come out fine. However, it does work great if you sprinkle on chocolate chips as the cake is cooling.

There was a time when someone had bought this chocolate cake mix, and it ended up having beef fat in it. I was like, "No need to worry, dude. Let me knock up a quickie chocolate cake." I managed to get the batter together in 5 minutes flat, because it's all pantry ingredients. It took him longer to grease and flour the cake tins than it took me to make the batter. I do wait till the oven is preheated before mixing wet and dry together. But that's the longest part of this cake: preheating the oven, and preparing the pans.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I feel like this thread has gone off the rails in a really weird way, and I'm not even mad at it. :O

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The hot minute that the weather stops being an rear end in a top hat, and I can open a window, you can bet your buttons that I'll be making bean salads for /days/. I'm partial to fava beans, cucumber, tomato, dill, lemon, and olive oil. But I also like black eyed peas, sliced green olive, hummus, cabbage (finely shredded), diced dill pickles, grated carrot, and chopped celery. SO good in a lettuce wrap. I'm a huge fan of that texas caviar stuff because it's basically opening cans and dumping it in with a few fresh ingredients. Do not forget beans in salads. They are excellent to throw into ALL the things.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Zenithe posted:

I made some Mujaddara, which was actually pretty bad. I made it with brown rice instead of white, but I was amazed how little flavour was in it.

1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups green lentils
Cumin, Allspice, Cinnamon, Turmeric, salt and pepper
Caramelised onions both in the dish and used as a garnish.

There is a version of this recipe which owns, but that was not the one I made tonight. If anyone has had some success with this I'd love the recipe.

- How much onion. This is important. If you say 1, do you mean 1 BIIIIG onion, 1 medium onion, or 1 shallot sized disappointment? Spoiler alert: the answer should not be 1. That's like making an Italian dish that calls for 1 clove of garlic.
- Ground spices, or whole spices? The cumin should be whole seeds. The rest are fine as powder.
- Did the spices ever get bloomed in fat? How much fat? If you can get your hands on whole cumin, give them a quick once over with a pestle and mortar. Pour in enough olive oil into a wide, shallow skillet so that it comes up about 1/2" or so. Get the oil heated on medium. Sprinkle generously with the crushed cumin. Add the turmeric when the cumin begins to sizzle. Stir to combine. The turmeric should be smelling earthy by now. You don't want to cook the turmeric more than like 5 - 10 seconds. Since it's ground, it cooks fast. Throw in roughly 3 - 4 medium onions, chopped. Add in allspice, salt, and a bit of pepper. Stir the onions.
- How dark did you take the onions? You need not go to the extent of practically blackened, but it does take a while. Supposedly a pinch of baking soda will accelerate the browning, but your mileage may vary.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fo3 posted:

Today I veganed.
No money but my brother gave me a lemon and my mum gave me a leek. So what the hell, chana masala with a leek and 1/2 a lemon and dino.'s lemon rice with the other half a lemon and all the zest. Plus I threw in some green chillies and silverbeet I grow. If anyone cares I'll add start point recipes.

Wait, I actually wrote down the drat lemon rice recipe? I thought I just threw out a quick youtube video of it. What is this recipe you speak of.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

von Braun posted:

I searched the forums but only found a thread I couldn't post in anymore from 2005.
But I'm going to New York in a few weeks. Are there some stand-out places that are very good there?

Saravana Bhavan in Murray hill. That one Korean place. What’s it called. Hangawi.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve been buying those cartons of coconut cream, using a little now, and ice cube tray freezing the rest. Once it’s set rock hard, I transfer to a zip lock bag. It lets me use less at a time, and not lose pantry space on tins of coconut milk.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If they’re into it, Miyoko Schinner does a Japanese one with really accessible recipes. That Vegan Rich’s book is a solid one too.

Every recipe I’ve made from Joy’s book has been solid: https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=236

Also PM press is having 50% off with coupon code gift for the Xmas season. When you get any book direct from them, they throw in the ebook for free with no drm. Also my book is on PM as well.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Not to be funny, but I feel like Appetite for Reduction is her best work. It has recipes in that people love, which are pretty straightforward to make, and I’ve met omnis who bought it based solely on the premise, and loved the food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want to up your lentil game (especially hulled lentils, like red lentils), roast them in a dry pan over moderate flame until they smell toasty. Seriously a game changer.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Do you just cook them normal with water after you toast them?

So. I’m Indian, right? If I’m making any bean dish, it gets cooked in the way I want to have it when I eat it on rice. If it’s a lazy day, it gets cooked in water, and I throw a tarka on its head. Otherwise, it’s getting tarka and aromatics. Otherwise it’s getting a spot of turmeric , some salt, and then dump tarka on it.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Do you just cook them normal with water after you toast them?

You can for sure!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

coolanimedad posted:

Dino insists that tofu is good so it must be true but I’m so reluctant to risk the $ on a press

Honestly, I’ve been leaning more towards the Chinese and Korean tofu recipes. None of them want you to press the stuff, because firm tofu is already pressed. The contrast between the inside and crispy outside is quite delightful.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Keret posted:

Guys/gals, I'm sitting on a proverbial mountain of huge zucchinis and summer squashes that have been gifted to me by well-meaning neighbors. What should I do with all of these gourds? I'll probably make some vegan zucch bread to tackle the zucchs, but I'm at a stand still with the squash.

Also, dino. (and others), I've ended up with a bag of Urad Dal that I thought had been called for in one of your book's recipes but actually wasn't. :downs: Can I use it like any other dal, or do you have suggestions for using it?

Boiled urad daal is slimy and I hate it.

That said, if you have a butt ton of urad daal, make you some medu vada. It’s so crispy and tasty.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Indians don’t tend to use it as a meat substitute, because vegetarian Indians are raised to think meat is gross. Instead, it’s its own thing. You cook it hella low and slow.

First step is to rehydrate in boiling water. The. Drain off the water and squeeze out the liquid. I like the Trinidadian version. They start with a really fair amount of oil, and fry off some curry powder. Then you add onions and garlic, and cook those down until soft. Then tomatoes, garam masala, and soy sauce. Cook that whole thing down. Then add the rehydrated wadi to it, and cook over low heat for a couple of hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so. Add ground red chilies to taste, and adjust salt as necessary.

If is was a fake meat thing, nobody in my family would go near it, but because it was just a thing with a cook texture and lots of flavour, we all love the stuff.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you can’t get curry powder, just use Sambhar powder. The spices are almost identical to where people will switch them out for each other all the time. It’s like garam masala, but a different blend of spices. Less of the sweet ones, more of the earthy ones.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm starting from zero here. most of my pantry is bare. i've got rice and a couple cans of green beans. i'm total deer-in-the-headlights any time I go into a grocery store. I want to go ~90% vegan, aiming for one meal with animal products per week. I'm good in the kitchen, but any time I go to the grocery store I get spooked and just go to the discount section and buy sausage or chicken because it's quick and tasty.

I'm awash in recipes, but that doesn't really help me at the moment. I want to buy groceries for the week, not one meal. Also I'm broke af. I have subsisted on rice, beans, and mirepoix for weeks at a time before for cost reasons and I'm really hoping to branch out. I know this is kind of a big ask, but could anyone help me put together a grocery list?

e: or point me toward a meal plan with a grocery list. I'm having trouble finding one online. I'm mainly looking for staple ingredients I can build meals out of.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278&perpage=40#post396368445

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve had the Penzey’s one and it’s pretty close to the one I found at that Ethiopian store in D.C.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It’s used in the north, especially among Jains, but is predominantly a southern thing. If your shops don’t have a decent amount of South Indians as clientele, it might be harder to find.

If you keep it in a tightly sealed container, the smell intensifies. Leave it in the pantry and it’ll clear up in a day or two.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Keret posted:

I'd like to do a deep dive into vegan Japanese cooking the next couple months, so I'm thinking of picking up a cookbook to guide me. I'm torn between Elizabeth Alexander's Kansha and Miyoko Schinner's Japanese Cooking; which do you y'all prefer, of the two? I really like the focus on reducing waste and reusing stuff from Kansha, but I generally find what Miyoko comes up with extremely clever.

Miyoko writes solid recipes, and there are some that I use to this day.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I used to have this mushroom and lentil burger at this one place. They’d add chopped walnuts (or was it pecans?) into their patty mix, and it was quite nice. A bit of crunch was a good contrasting texture.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://imgur.com/a/TapbWUy

Soup made.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

dino, that's the same exact brand of hing I used to use.

I've never made a big centerpiece dish for Thanksgiving since I think there are enough good vegan sides to feed a group of any size but that mushroom wellington does look kind of fun.

Same here, but less because of vegan sides and more because of where I'm from. For me, the main dish /is/ the rice with whatever (beans, spices, whatever), and everything else is the side, /including the protein/. And when I was watching the others eat their thanksgiving dinner, they more or less were behaving similarly. They'd heap on the mashed potatoes (or in our case, those masala potatoes that I had made, because I find mashed potatoes to be boring), the stuffing, and the bread (boyfriend made this Hungarian potato bread with caraway seeds in it that was an utter delight), and then a few small pieces of the meat (or in my case and his sister's case, the spiced fried tofu I'd made), a bunch of different veggie sides (green beans, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) and go to town. I almost felt like people seemed more excited to try the weird and unusual sides I'd come up with, the traditional sides that the boyfriend's parents came up with, and the turkey was a bit of an afterthought.

I use that brand of hing, because /everyone/ from the region I'm from does as well. I've seen Northerners be pretty brand blind when it comes to hing. Some even buy ones that have turmeric added (like wtf is the point, you already /have/ turmeric in your cabinet). Everyone from my mum, to aunts, uncles, cousins, in laws, and in between who's some stripe of TamBram will have a jar of LG, and will buy it if they can find it locally. If they can't, they'll either have someone bring a case over from India, or find someone who does have access and pick it up when they visit them. I recall coming back from trips to India, and my mum throwing a couple of cases of the LG into the suitcase with the spices that she had a pain finding locally. She'd buy specific regional variants of certain spices, have them ground at the local spice miller to make her own spice blends, and then bring those back. She'd source weird herbal poo poo for her hair, usually shikakai and amla along with other random stuff, and have that ground down and packed too. She'd snag a few packets of Idhayam sesame (also known as "gingelly") oil, because that was the brand everyone in the family used since time immemorial, and she wasn't about to spend $6 for a litre of the stuff locally. And of course, the LG Hing.

TamBrams tend to be pretty brand loyal, no matter where they end up.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly vegan mayo is pretty easy to make if you have an immersion blender. Ratio is 1/3 cup soy milk (and it has to be soy milk), 3/4 tsp white vinegar, 2/3 cup oil. Any other seasonings you add are bonus.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So for the onion/garlic thing, Tamil Brahmins avoid garlic specifically, but aren't quite as strict about the onions. If you're making food to serve the gods, you never add onion or garlic. It's a saatvik food thing. Brahmins aren't supposed to eat stuff that inflames the passions, so to speak, so we tend to avoid garlic and onion in the cooking, especially if you're an active working priest, because you tend to make food for the temple, which must be offered to the gods first before it is fed to the masses. Any leftovers go to the family, of course. Since they're cooking that way to begin with, you're generally not bothering with the stuff.

The other reason to avoid garlic or onion is to ensure that the dry cooked food is crispy, and not washed out. So if you're making dry cooked potatoes or chickpeas, that crispy texture is really important to the final dish, and you never add anything that'll wet things down. In the potato situation, the heat that you need to get a proper crust is too high, and will burn garlic.

One of those weird similarities between Tamil Brahmin food and Jain food (even though they're generally from different regions) is this love for asafoetida. Because Jains use it as a substitute for garlic and onion, and the TamBrams will do the same, I've found that a lot of Jains I've met love love love South Indian food that's heavy on the hing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: Jains, I haven't the foggiest where they draw the line. IIRC, there were a couple of my parents' friends that wouldn't use carrots or potatoes either. To be fair, potatoes are a fairly new ingredient anyway, and Jains been Jaining for a hot minute by the time potatoes rolled onto the picture. THAT SAID, you don't see a ton of people walking around with those little brooms to sweep the ground in front of them to prevent stepping on bugs, and gently pushing them out of the path, so they don't get hurt, right? I think most Jains draw the line at what's reasonably practicable in today's modern world.

To be honest, it's not something I'm very familiar with, because it's not my religious background. I thiiiiiink by and largethey're vegetarian if they're practicing. And as the younger generation rolls in, you've got folk less and less too fussed about the specific bans on ingredients that aren't as big a deal as like meat or something. My (tamil brahmin) mom spent a lot of her teenage years in Queens, NY. Her and her sisters are pretty comfortable with anything, as long as it's vegetarian. Chilies, garlic, onion, milk, eggs, whatever. My grandma (her mom) kept strict. Dad grew up in a more conservative part of South India, and then super nationalistic North India, so he kept pretty strict. Friend of mine married a Jain lady. She's a huge fan of any time I make something super hing-heavy, because she grew up eating it. But, she's also quite happy to eat stuff with lots of garlic, because garlic is delicious.

You know that one lady on YouTube. Manjula's Kitchen? She's a Jain (as in, it's literally her last name). She'll do stuff with potatoes, onions, garlic, chilies, whatever. But if she's making "pure vegetarian" stuff, or "fasting recipes" (because for Hindus and Jains, there's days where you fast from grains, but everything else is fine; for a cuisine based around either rice or roti, a fast from grains means you're not eating much), she'll avoid the onion/garlic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cephas posted:

What are your laziest meals that are still reasonably healthy? I'm talking on the level of like, rice with a fried egg on top or some leftover rotisserie chicken shredded onto some lettuce, in terms of effort. I just have not had much psychological energy for cooking lately, especially because I like to cook for people and I'm stuck isolating. Give me your lazy-rear end survival vegan meals please. Apologies if this is covered on an earlier page.

Also, does anyone else feel gross eating grocery store hummus? Either the preservatives or the oil content in stuff like Sabra hummus always upsets my stomach.

OK, Cephas. I'm making a thread for you, and hope that others can chime in too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939838

I think this is an important enough subject that I'd like to have more input to maybe help each other out with. Even if the ideas aren't vegan, we can easily veganise most stuff.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 10, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’m in the process of moving, and it sucks. Most of my kitchen is in the new place, but internet hasn’t been connected there yet. So at the old place, I had all the fridge crap.

In a bowl, I combined some tomatoes that I chopped up with 2 cloves of garlic (chopped small), salt, a spot of oil, and black pepper. In it went to the microwave for 6 minutes, then stir and go another 4 minutes. While that was cooking, I chopped up some tofu. Microwave beeped, and I pulled out the curry base and mixed it with the cubed tofu. Let that go for 4 minutes. Tossed in some frozen peas and frozen corn.

It is an utter loving delight.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For beets, I find that I want to get rid of that muddy taste. What you do is combine creamy, salty, acid, and sweet to counter it. Peel and rinse your veg as follows: Per lb of beets, you want 1/4 lb of carrots, 1/4 lb of Granny Smith apple (I leave the skin on, but you can peel if you want) and maybe like 1/4 of a medium red onion. For the dressing, I do rice vinegar, peanut butter (a good bit of the stuff), some ginger, sesame oil (a little goes a long way), a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, and soy sauce. Mess around until you get something that has a nice balance. If it’s too thick, thin it out with a bit of apple juice or water.

I absolutely hate beets, but I’ll happily eat it when made into this sort of salad.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I make oatmeal peanut butter cookies with cranberry. Let me get the recipe.

EDIT: most important part: let the cookie mixture set in the fridge for an hour, or else it won’t stay together. Learn from my mistake.

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Raisin Cookies

3/4 cups coconut oil (veg oil is fine too)
1 1/2 cups sugar (i use the hippie sugar. Whatever kind is fine)
2/3 cups smooth peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use diamond kosher salt)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (you can add other spices too. I stick with cinnamon because it’s what I had that was already ground because I was too lazy to pull out the spice grinder)

4 cups rolled oats (don’t substitute quick oats. Ask me how I know)
1 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries (I’ve never made these with the black raisins because I don’t like them. I’m not here to tell you how to live your life, so do what you please)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour (whole wheat is OK, all purpose is best)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line your baking sheets with parchment. This is necessary because the cookies are so STICKY when they go down, and you don’t want to spend ages scraping your baking sheets clean.

Oh, you have nonstick? Live your best life, I guess. I did warn you.

Combine the oil, sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, water, salt, and cinnamon powder. Mix until well combined. I use a metal spoon, because scraping peanut butter off a wooden spoon is annoying. And the plastic spoon doesn’t have enough structural integrity to deal with such a stiff mixture.

Add the oats, cranberries/raisins (I did a mix of both when I wrote the recipe), and baking powder. Stir well to combine. Add flour, and mix until all flour is incorporated. You don’t have to be precious about avoiding gluten. The cookies turn out fine even if you heavy handed the mixing.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Once the ingredients are combined, it’ll be hella loose. Let it set in the fridge for an hour.

Scoop 1/4 cup at a time onto cookie sheet. Pat lightly so that it’s no more than 1/2 inch high. These cookies don’t spread a ton. I used a lightly greased dry measuring cup. It was a bit of an annoyance to do, and I could have saved a lot of time if I’d used a freaking scoop thingy. I do that now.

Bake at 350ºF for 12 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheets. Bake an additional 10 - 12 minutes. When they’re lightly browned on the edges, remove from the oven. They WILL be soft when they’re still hot. Do not remove from the baking sheet until they’re completely cooled, or they’ll fall apart on you.

dino. fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 20, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Y’all realise that banana blossoms are naturally bitter as gently caress af. That’s the whole thing. That poo poo is gross. Avoid it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Don’t substitute cashews with anything else in a curry type dish. The texture will be wrong. Just get the giant bag, and freeze the leftovers.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Tycho a tamarind rice is 3 parts. One is the tamarind mix. One is the masala part. One is the perfectly cooked rice.

Also, I hate it when people use gingelly/til/sesame oil for making a tarka. It always burns the oil. Sesame oil is for flavour, not cooking.

That recipe looks like it was written by a northerner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re curry powder: it’s pretty much sambhar powder, but way more widely available. In south india, you use sambhar powder to … make sambhar. Yes. But you also use it as a general seasoning thing in pretty small quantities where you need that oomph that a garam masala would give you, but not the sweetness that garam masala brings. I don’t mean small quantities like 1950s “ethnic” recipes from the cream of sodium soup casseroles. I mean that you’re mainly getting the big tastes from the whole spices (tarka) various dried and fresh peppers, and any aromatics you’ve added. The sambhar powder/curry powder is made from roasted spices, so no need to bloom in fat (although it’ll be delicious if you do), and can be added towards the end of cooking to round out the dish.

My mum used to buy it and fortify with ground red chilies to get as close to real sambhar powder as possible, because sambhar powder was imposible to find in the 1980s in Miami. If you also have trouble finding sambhar powder, get curry powder and add a butt ton of ground red chilies to it.