Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Is there a general vegan thread for more resources and discussion in addition to recipes?

I've searched around GBS, Pets, Ask & Tell, and Minority Rapport, but I haven't found anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think so. There's this and that's all I know about.

Thank you! The first post was very informative with some great links.

I've become vegan as my new years resolution.

I finished consuming, throwing out, or donating nearly all of the animal flesh/eggs/milk in my kitchen in December, but I still have half a jar of honey and an opened coffee creamer with milk-derived cassein protein in it.

I also have 5 cans of coconut milk from Thailand that I just learned may use forced monkey labor to harvest coconuts. That didn't even occur to me when buying vegan milk. I feel like I have a lot to learn.

I would be very interested to know what the rest of you did when you transitioned to veganism, but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread - I was thinking of making a general vegan thread and posting it in GBS so people could share information, resources, documentaries, and chat.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A few misc dishes:

Bengali style radish.

This looks wonderful, can you share your recipe?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

kreeningsons posted:

Special Valentine’s Day content. vanilla bean coconut panna cotta.

Very impressive! 👏 I feel confident with vegan meals, but not desserts.

Do you have the panna cotta recipe link/book to recommend?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Thank you!

I feel like I could actually make this too, I will probably leave out of the tarragon as well.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

cat posts.txt posted:

Question, I couldn't find a thread (maybe I missed it) for asking where to eat in certain cities, so.

I'm moving to Minneapolis soon and was curious if anyone had recommendations for vegan or vegetarian restaurants! I'd like to get into the habit of supporting local places vs visiting the same 5 "has vegan thing on menu" chain places.

Fellow Minneapolinite here. The Happy cow app works well.

1.) Coconut Whisk is on Nicollet Mall, offers boba drinks and desserts. Haven't tried it yet.

2.) Caribou Coffee shops offer almond, coconut, and oat milk and the $0.80 upcharge is removed if you use their app and order ahead. I do not recommend the location on Nicolette Mall next to Brits Pub, just go to US Bank Plaza or Lunds & Byerlys. This is the only coffe shop I have found anywhere in the city that removes the non-dairy upcharge. And I drink a ton of coffee around the city.

3.) Green + The Grain (fast casual) in the skyway offers tofu for no upcharge on their salads. (plain tofu and baked sesame tofu. I emailed the store but they never replied what the sesame tofu is marinated in or if it's vegan) they offer three vegan dressings, per their allergen menu available upon request:
Lemon vinaigrette, Charred Jalapeno vinaigrette, and balsamic vinaigrette. Very delicious and filling, costs ~$13/salad. The sesame ginger dressing contains honey, the rest have dairy.

4.) Chipotle right downstairs from Green + the Grain in the skyway offers sofritas (tofu with seasoning) but according to their website the salad dressing is not vegan b/c of honey.

5.) Naf Naf Grill (Mediterranean/middle Eastern, fast casual) in the US Bank Plaza. Offers several options. I haven't tried it yet.

6.) Broadway Pizza in US Bank Plaza skyway offers vegan pizza, and "meatballs" too I think.

7.) Dan Kelly's Irish Pub has vegan pizzas made by Broadway Pizza served there. I'm going to try them next Wednesday

7.) Pizza Luce has several pizza, pasta, salad, and dessert options. I tried the vegan margarita with Ri-not-A and mozzarella "cheese" and it was very good, I recommend it. Their veganized Original pizza was mediocre - the vegan mozzarella melts beautifully, but tasted dull. It tasted like VioLife brand mozzarella shreds and not worth $25 for a medium. Their vegan peanut butter bar was good.

8.) Whole foods near the downtown library offers fresh baked vegan brownies and jam cookies. And considerably more premade vegan options on the refrigerator section than Lunds & Byerlys or other grocerie stores I've seen.

9.) United Noodles Asian grocery on Franklin Ave East 24th St. offers premade frozen vegan green onion bao buns - the only ones I've found without egg! I also found vegan mini moon cakes and scallion gyoza in the freezer! I shop at a lot of different grocery stores and this is the only Asian grocery I've found that offers these vegan versions of traditinal foods. They were very good too.

That's all I can think of right now. I also lurk in the Minneapolis thread, it's fairly active:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3034145&pagenumber=784&perpage=40

Welcome to the city.

Edit: I just remembered theres the Herbivorus Butcher on 1st Ave. They serve vegan faux meats and cheeses and serve food items to-go. Like deli sandwiches, "Meatloaf", "hotdogs" with toppings, queso dips, etc.

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 23, 2024

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Fall Dog posted:

First time trying out this recipe. It's a palak tofu paneer ...[and] Paneer lababdar with tofu.

I love a good paneer sauce! Since going vegan I really wish Indian restaurants served it tofu-style like you've made so I could order it. This looks delicious!

I just bought the book Veganomicon by Isa Chandra & Terry Hope Romero. I rented it from the library and liked it a lot, so I decided to buy my first vegan cookbook. It's got a bit of everything, and I'm eager to try the ricotta cheese recipe.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I also recently made palak tofu !

Other things I've made recently:

Grew a ton of mung bean sprouts in a soymilk carton. Haven't figured out how to stop the sprouts growing secondary roots, but it doesn't affect the taste, so whatever.
That's 80g of mung beans, which makes about 380g of sprouts. Making a box of these every week or so nowawadays.

This all looks really delicious! Lovely colors. :discourse:

I'm also into sprouting! I spread the mung beans on damp cloth, cover, weigh down with plates, and place in a flat plastic colander. I follow this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkBqRK64TY

I've never seen them grown in a box, you created a huge harvest. Do you trim off the roots, or eat the whole thing?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Fall Dog posted:

I got a new pizza oven insert for my smoker so decided to give it a try.

Looks drat good!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Wow, that all looks really good. I love roasted or pan fried plantains so much.

I made vegan dim sum with crystal (see through) wrappers for the ICSA challenge. Here is my entry with recipe:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057493&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

This sounds really dim, but where do you get the beans that you then sprout?

I happen to live within walking distance of two Asian grocery stores. The mung beans are green and you just have to make sure they're the whole bean, not split beans.

They can typically be found in the dry goods aisle of the store next to the bags of rice, beans, nuts, and dried tofu.

Edit 2: wow, one of my grocery stores has a website and it says 'products coming soon'

http://shuanghur.com/

Here's an example on Amazon:

Jiva Organic Mung Bean - Mung Moong Beens Whole for Sprouting and Cooking - 2 lb Bean Bag – Indian Spices https://a.co/d/2Obxhbl

Edit: I think they may sell them at Whole Foods grocery stores as well, maybe also Lunds & Byerlys in the ethnic food aisle next to beans and rice, but I have not otherwise found them at traditional American/Minnesota grocery stores.

Edit 3: I have sprouted them in a jar and the carton method, but I've decided I don't like eating the roots, so I cut them off, and I have found this method the fastest way to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkBqRK64TY

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 5, 2024