Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanted to bake and mail some chocolate chip cookies to a friend who’s vegan. I just picked up some plant based butter (I had no idea this wasn’t just margarine), chocolate chips without milkfat, and Bob’s egg replacer. I didn’t really think about it before buying this stuff but can I just substitute this stuff in place of butter and eggs in a regular recipe? Or am I in for a bad time?

E: I should say I bake this (non vegan) recipe a lot, like every other week, so I know what textures it should look like.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah the butter can be 1 for 1 with any similar type of fat. Not sure what the egg replacer actually is, but I imagine some kind of directions on the bag you can follow. You should end up with something equivalent to the nonvegan variant. One of the nice things is depending on what you use as your replacers, you can add a bit of extra flavor i.e. using a flax egg will give the final product a bit of nutty flavor.

https://makeitdairyfree.com/15-vegan-egg-substitutes-for-baking/

Thanks for the link. The egg replacer was this one and the butter I used was from Miyokos. Picked that one cause it was cultured which sounded more like butter to me. Recipe I followed was from Serious Eats. Used dark chocolate chips cause it was the only one without dairy in it.

Anyway I made a half batch yesterday and just finished baking them up today and I gotta say, they came out pretty great.

It’s a tad bit grainy compared to the non-vegan version but I think that’s from not having enough liquid. The thing is an egg is about 50g of liquid and the egg replacer says to use 1 tablespoon of the mixture + 1 tablespoon of water to replace an egg, which I’m pretty sure isn’t 50g. I still have half a package of butter to play with today.

E: I was kinda worried and was convinced the recipe was ruined the entire time I was beating the egg replacer with the sugar cause it looked nothing like it should. After adding the flour though I thought “oh this does look like cookie dough.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What is a good egg replacer for baking cookies? I want to make snickerdoodle cookies.

E: Planning on using Stella Park’s recipe because it calls for mixing in coconut oil with the butter. I don’t have coconut oil or butter but I have Mikoyo’s plant based butter which is coconut oil and cultured cashew milk… so good enough. Plus I’ve used it before in a 1:1 substitution to make a vegan version of the serious eats best chocolate chip cookie before so I’m fairly confident it works. For that cookie I used Bob Red Mill Egg Replacer but nowadays I see a bunch of different choices.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 2, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do you know if your friend would want to make their own oat milk? Tbh I personally would not want to bother making my own oat milk as the convenience of having it cold in the fridge from a carton whenever I want is worth more than the time and inconvenience I imagine it would be to have to constantly make oat milk.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 3, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone have a pho soup recipe? I went to pick up a vegan pho from a place last week and it was ok but when I walked in to get it, they just poured something from the fridge into an electric kettle and heated it up and gave it to me. I know soups aren’t made to order but poo poo, I’d rather just cook up a pot and heat it up myself. Also the vegan place is really weird and may be a cult? and their tv was praising the former rear end in a top hat president so I kinda don’t want to give them any more money.

E: I feel like a complete failure at soups in general because it just never tastes right without the fat and stuff from bones that I am/was used to.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 19, 2024