Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Vegan Thread
Hi! This is the thread for vegan food. Vegan food is food that doesn't have any animal products: no meat, no milk, no butter, no honey, no eyeballs, etc. This thread is not for arguing about why anyone would ever be vegan. This thread is also not for talking about whether vegan food is healthy.

It would also be great if this thread were about actual vegan food, not non-vegan food that turns out to be vegan because the "sausage" you use is actually made out of... lord knows, but somehow not meat. If you want to talk about the occasional "fake" vegan thing, like "how can I make buttermilk biscuits," then go ahead, but if your idea of vegan food is "how can I take a recipe centered around meat and replace it with some fake poo poo," then this is a thread for you to learn other options, not a thread for you to share your favorite brand of kalebasa "sausage."

What do Vegans Eat?
Sometimes when I tell people I am vegan they say "wow, how do you do that?" I tell them that it is pretty easy: whenever there is food that has animal products in it, I don't put it in my mouth. That's literally all it takes to be vegan!

But I know it can be kind of hard to understand the right "way" to be a vegan if you've been raised in a culture where meals are largely based around some kind of meat. If you've been alternating between steak, chicken, pork, fish, and ham for dinner for the last 30 years, it can be very hard to know where to start with meals that are meatless.

The best way to figure out how veganism works is to look at cuisines around the world that for practical or ethical/religious purposes are largely vegan already. It turns out that if you are poor you often can't afford to kill a chicken every time you get the munchies. So lots of cuisines that aren't based on eating like the king of France already have lots of options for vegan food, day in day out.

A huge variety of Indian cuisines, for instance, are full of vegan food. You can make a full meal out of some kind of rice (or other grain), some kind of pulse (beans, lentils, peas), vegetables, and spices. Add in some bread and a pickle and a vegetable side dish and you have an infinite variety of meals just as substantial as a steak and potatoes. Veg Recipes of India has many good recipes. You can find much more information over in the Indian food thread.

Lots of Ethiopian recipes are vegan or can be made vegan really easily by using oil rather than clarified butter. See here for details and recipes.

Plenty of Middle Eastern food turns out to be vegan (like falafel!). This post has lots of Palestinian food to check out. Try ful medames, koshari, pita bread, manakish za'atar, musabaha, loubi bi zeyt, marak silk, beet salad or eggplant salad, balilah, and so on.

Lots of Chinese food is vegan - before Westerners discovered tofu and started competing for the prize of "who can make this taste like nothing" and the other prize of "who can make this taste the most like meat," many cuisines, including many varieties of Chinese cuisine, were making dishes that actually taste great, like bear's paw tofu. Learn some easy ways to stir-fry vegetables and you'll instantly have dozens and dozens of vegan recipes on your hand. Try home style tofu, di san xian, scallion pancakes, shredded potato salad, scrambled tofu, stir-fried cabbage, Szechuan cold noodles, smashed cucumber salad, long beans with sesame, braised tofu with mushrooms, steamed enoki mushrooms, hot and dry wuhan noodles, etc.

There's lots of great Jamaican vegan food.

Learning to be Vegan
I am a big fan of this cookbook. It's vegetarian, not vegan, but it teaches you the basics of how to think about cooking a vegan meal: grab whatever grain you feel like today, whatever pulse you feel like today, whatever vegetables you feel like today, and whatever spices you feel like today, and cook them the right way to make them delicious.

Another way to learn how to be vegan is to try "Meatless Mondays," which are pretty much what they sound like except you also should cut out butter and so on. It's not too much trouble to look up a recipe for something to eat one day of the week, and if you cook a different thing each week and pay attention to what you like and why you like it, soon you'll be able to build up a repertoire of vegan food and vegan cooking techniques that you enjoy.

Finally, you can always pick up a cookbook and cook a bunch of stuff from it.

Vegan Cookbooks and Recipes
Our very own dino. has a book, Alternative Vegan. It has rave reviews!

I'm a fan of Afro-Vegan and Vegan Soul Kitchen, both by Bryant Terry. I also love Teff Love. I also like Tahini and Turmeric a lot, although I think you'll get better mileage out of any particular Middle Eastern cookbook - you can ignore the non-vegan stuff.

Other good sources include Kansha for Japanese food, Manjula's Kitchen for some Indian food, Serious Eats for various things (including some fake poo poo), The Lotus and the Artichoke for lots of stuff, including Mexican, Ethiopian, Sri Lankan, and Malaysian, China Sichuan Food's vegan section for Sichuanese cuisine, and... list your own and I'll add them to the OP!

The Food52 Vegan book is short but fine. You can sort of get a feel for what it's like at the website's vegan section.

More cookbooks and websites I endorse, some of which are not 100% vegan:

Thai Vegetarian Cooking (Thailand)

Prashad Cookbook (India)

Real Vegetarian Thai (Thailand)

Caribbean Vegan (Caribbean)

Decolonize Your Diet (Mexico)

http://thegreekvegan.com (Greece)

https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-vegetarian-recipes/ (China)

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com (India)

https://georgianrecipes.net/tag/vegan-recipes/ (Georgia)

https://memoriediangelina.com/tag/vegan/ (Italian)

https://www.justonecookbook.com/tags/vegetarian/ (Japan)

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/category/all-recipes/meatless-recipes/ (Thailand)

http://www.phamfatale.com/cat_25/tag_vegetarian/ (Vietnam)

https://thevietvegan.com/recipes/vegan-recipes/ (Vietnam)

The Vegan Pantry
You'll probably want to keep a wide variety of grains and pulses around so that you always have a basis for any kind of meal you want. My favorites are Jasmine rice, brown rice, couscous, wheatberries, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, moong dal, green lentils, and pinto beans. Nuts of various kinds are good to have around - they can add a lot of flavor and body to a dish. If you do a lot of baking, some kind of fake milk (soy, coconut, almond) is important to have around. A big jar of tahini (check your local Middle Eastern market) is never a bad choice.

You probably have these already, but if you don't, various kinds of vinegars (white wine, red wine, rice, balsamic, apple cider) and oils (sesame, canola, peanut, olive, extra virgin olive) are helpful for salads and all sorts of other things. And of course you want all the spices. Buy them from a grocery store that sells them in bulk (those tend to be cheaper) or from ethnic markets (ditto), or, if you have no other options, I've heard Penzey's is good.

Baking
My favorite vegan chocolate chips are the Trader Joe's ones. I've always had people say very nice things about pies from Vegan Pie in the Sky and cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar. The olive oil pie crust from Vegan Pie in the Sky is a very good pie crust. I have not tried many recipes from Chloe's Vegan Desserts but it looks pretty great. Fran Costigan, the self-proclaimed "queen of vegan desserts," has some pretty impressive recipes.

BOoooze
Check Barnivore before you buy any alcohol to make sure you aren't accidentally drinking fish bladders or whatever it is that they put in some beer.

Recipes
This is an infinitesimal sample of vegan food. A whole world awaits! But here are some places to start:

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

guppy posted:

I'm not actually a vegan but I cook meat very rarely. I'll be following this thread, thanks for making it! Is this thread also appropriate for vegetarian discussion or do you want it strictly vegan?
This is the vegan thread! You can make a vegetarian thread if you want. Vegetarian food is such a massive category (eggs alone add like a million kinds of dishes) that vegetarian food would easily take over the vegan thread and we could go for 20 pages without talking about any vegan food. I'd rather not have that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Does that mean you have a vegan kugel recipe? Or was the kugel not vegan?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Higher effort mushroom recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/vegan-cream-of-mushroom-soup-food-lab-recipe.html

Lower effort mushroom recipes:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/miso-marinated-portobello-carpaccio-pistachio-recipe.html
https://vegan8korean.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/vegan-bulgogi-style-mushrooms-recipe/
https://vegan8korean.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/vegan-dubu-busut-jeongol-tofu-mushroom-hot-pot-recipe/

And a recipe from Cook Eat Thrive, a fine vegan cookbook:

quote:

1 tablespoon olive oil
˝ medium onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds assorted mushrooms (I like a combination of cremini, button, and portabella), wiped clean and sliced
3 tablespoons vermouth (dry sherry is a fine substitution)
3/4 cup wild rice
4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt
˝ teaspoon dried thyme
˝ teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until softened and the onions go translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, along with a generous pinch of sea salt. The mushrooms will remain firm and dry for several minutes, then begin to sweat, and eventually soften and release their liquid. Stir gently throughout this process, which will take about 5 minutes. Once this happens, cook 5 minutes more. Drizzle in vermouth, and cook for another 3 minutes.

Add the wild rice to the mixture; it will still be full of dark liquid that hasn’t yet evaporated. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes more. Add the stock, water, sea salt, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is fully cooked, about 45 minutes.

Ladle into warmed bowls and serve with a hearty loaf of bread.

The cookbook Ottolenghi also has a couple nice vegan (or easily turned vegan) mushroom recipes, and it's a really great cookbook, although it's not vegan at all - like 2/3rds is about meat or something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They list all their ingredients on the website so just like, mix that stuff together until it tastes right, I guess.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is the hummus I always make, although I don't soak or peel the chickpeas - I just cook them for a bit more than an hour in a pressure cooker.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bliss Authority posted:

Aaaand this and grilled mushrooms is what I'm going to make for a vegetarian friend this weekend at a barbeque!

Actually, on that note: can you recommend vegan dishes cooked on a grill?
From Afro-Vegan:

quote:

Grilled Zucchini with Mixed-Herb Marinade
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced, flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh chervil
˝ teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 zucchini, halved lengthwise
Freshly ground black pepper

Put the oil, lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, parsley, thyme, chervil, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the zucchini and toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, tossing occasionally.

Prepare a medium heat grill. Drain the zucchini, arrange on the grill grate, and grill until they begin to char, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn with tongs and cook for 4 to 6 more minutes.

Cut the zucchini into thirds crosswise, transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with pepper, and serve.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Falafel (with fava beans).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

snyprmag posted:

I'm hosting a BBQ and want to make vegan burgers to accommodate all guests. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or should I just buy pre-packaged ones?
There are lots of good options. These black bean burgers are neat, and I like these although they're kind of time-intensive. Really though you can just mash up some black beans and whatever else sounds good (onions, garlic, bread crumbs, hot peppers, tomatoes, many spices, etc. etc. etc.) and you'll be good to go so long as you adjust the moisture. I wouldn't buy pre-packaged ones unless you're also buying pre-packaged meat burgers - the quality of the two is pretty much the same, which is to say pre-packaged is way inferior to homemade.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been, like, years since I made either of them them, but I think the the two brownie recipes in Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar are good, if you can get your hands on that book.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
gently caress fake food imho

Although to be honest I shouldn't be so strident. I was a recipe tester for this cookbook, which meant I made a couple fakey dishes (char siu bao with tempeh rather than meat, for instance) and it wasn't the end of the world, and in fact it inspired me to get out some non-vegan cookbooks I have and veganize some of the meat recipes using fakey poo poo like tempeh and seitan. I still think vegan food that's vegan from the get-go rather than vegan via swapping stuff in is the way to go most of the time, and I think the whole project of converting carnivores by feeding them lovely fake versions of their favorite food is a dead end that just turns people off of veganism, and I think fake poo poo's more expensive than just eating real vegan food, and I worry that the tempeh or whatever that I buy is full of chemicals that are doing lord knows what, but... it is nice to look at some sort of traditional Lebanese meat pastry or whatever and say "I can make this with tempeh" rather than "I guess I'll just never get to make this."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since people sometimes say "what do vegans eat," I decided to start taking pictures of some stuff I eat. Then I decided to stop. Then I decided to start again. Then I deleted some of the pictures from my phone because I needed space. But in any case some pictures remain, so, in case anyone's interested, here's a random smattering of food I've made in the past few months (I've been sitting on the pictures a while):

Sichuan cabbage (recipe)

Punjabi chole masala (recipe I think)

Kung pao cauliflower

Gowa mallum / Sri Lankan cabbage and coconut curry (recipe from this cookbook)

Quinoa rice sweet potato salad (based on a recipe from this cookbook)

Apologies for the lovely pictures. 99% of the time I take them right as the food is about to be finished, with my phone, without any time to worry about lighting or composition or whether there's steam all over the lens.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nice! You just gotta keep making it until there's no such thing as too szechuan-y. Being able to stand up to an infinite number of peppercorns is like, the next evolution of human being, beyond being able to stand up to spicy food.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dug up a bunch of old pictures, plus two from today.

First, four pictures from when I went nuts for National Potato Day and decided to only eat potato dishes:

Breakfast potatoes: Russet potatoes, cubed, microwaved for ~3:45, then cooked in oil with salt, pepper, and turmeric. For many months this was what I usually had for breakfast. Great stuff. These days I make hash browns since that's faster.

Potato leek soup. Basically just leeks cooked in olive oil until soft, plus potatoes and water, simmered until done, then blended, with salt + pepper. Plus homemade bread.

French fries!

Two-potato vindaloo from this cookbook, recipe here.

So much for potato day. I also went nuts for Thanksgiving:

Clockwise from left to right: cornbread stuffing, bread, curried scalloped potatoes from this cookbook (really delicious), normal stuffing (recipe here, pretty good one too, I'll definitely make it in the future), green bean casserole, ignore the white mashed potatoes (not mine, also not vegan), mashed sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.

And then for today's food:

Dal makhani (recipe here) before and after pressure cooking. I love making this because it's super easy: just stick it in all in the pressure cooker and cook it. Bam! I used to blend it up a bit with an immersion blender to make it creamier but now I don't bother because I don't care.

Quinoa and swiss chard salad (sorry for the very lovely picture). Swiss chard from my garden, sauteed with some garlic and shallots, mixed with quinoa, parsley from my garden, and a vinaigrette made out of walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. Tasty stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Made a bunch of food and forgot to take pictures. Made more, took some pictures.

Maple donuts (suspended on toothpicks because the glaze has just been applied):

Shepher'd pie (I made a huge casserole dish's worth, and also this little one in the cast-iron, although the scale is tough to see so it looks kind of big):

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sounds a bit like koshari, one of the best comfort foods of all time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
poo poo, sorry, chopsticks. Pointy food things that end in "icks" all run together in my mind.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Red wine risotto with mushrooms and inadequately chopped parsley:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The chickpea water you get from a quick soak might not be thick enough. If you want the fancy aquafaba stuff you often have to reduce your liquid until it's the right consistency, which takes a while to get the hang of because when it's hot it's much thinner.

As for not using enough tahini to justify buying it, you should try finding some recipes with tahini. It's a really great ingredient. It can go in dan dan noodles, salads, sauces, wuhan noodles, and so on. Although frankly hummus is so good that I could probably go through infinite tahini just making hummus forever. When I buy tahini I buy a big ol' jar:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're close enough that someone who swaps peanut butter for tahini can swap tahini for sesame paste, I'd say.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Made some sourdough:

I also went shopping - dunno if anyone finds it helpful to see what a vegan trip to the market looks like, but here's $35.33 worth of food if you live in California:

3 lbs calrose rice, 12 oz fenugreek, 12 oz turmeric, 10 lbs basmati rice, 5 lbs cabbage, .8 lbs roma tomatoes, 2 eggplants, 4 lemons, 4.5 lbs onions, 2.8 lbs red onions, a coconut, 1.85 lbs bananas, 1/4 lb serrano peppers, 1 lb plums, 2 bunches of green onions, 1.6 lbs Brussels sprouts, 1 lb carrots, 1.6 lbs green beans, 10 lbs potatoes, 1/2 lb garlic.

Bonus produce picture with the cat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sichuan green beans and some eggplant:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Leek curry:

Cabbage and coconut curry:

Spicy chickpeas:

Dal:

All from this cookbook, which I'm a big fan of.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
3-4 cups / 300 g leeks, chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp Lucky 13 Curry Powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp turmeric
1 bay leaf
2 tsp lime juice or lemon juice
1 tsp agave syrup or sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup / 240 ml coconut milk
1/2 - 1 cup / 120-140 ml water as needed
Cilantro for garnish

Heat oil on medium high. Add leeks, garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander, black pepper, turmeric, and bay leaf. Fry until leeks begin to brown and soften, stirring constantly, 3-5 min.

Add lime or lemon juice and agave syrup or sugar. Stir.

Add coconut milk. Stir well. Bring to low boil, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer partially covered, stirring regularly, until leeks are soft, 10-12 minutes. Gradually stir in water or more coconut milk and salt as desired while cooking.

Remove bay leaf.

Garnish with cilantro, serve with rice.

Here's the recipe for the curry powder:

25 g coriander
10 g cumin
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp peppercorn
2 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp black mustard seed
3 pieces cinnamon bark
10 fresh or 20 dried curry leaves
3 cardamom pods
3 cloves
1 or 2 dried red chilies (optional)
1 dried pandan leaf or 1 dried bay leaf
1/2 tsp turmeric

Roast everything except turmeric on medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring constantly, 5-7 min.

Cool, grind, mix in turmeric.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is "celebration food" some sort of specific category I've never heard of? I'm not sure what you're asking for. If you Google "vegan Easter foods" lots of examples come up, but I don't know what people eat for Easter so I can't really help out there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more recent vegan stuff:

One of my favorite foods, fish-fragrant eggplant (basically this recipe):

Chinese potato salad (via here:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If anyone's interested, the author of some cookbooks I like has a Kickstarter for his newest book, which is a good chance to pick up copies of the previous books. They're not my favorite books of all time - I like cookbooks with lots of stuff I wouldn't have thought of, like Afro-Vegan, which is also just a good book in terms of reading/pictures/etc. But the Lotus & Artichoke cookbooks have basically never let me down in terms of tasty food, lots of the recipes are pretty easy, they strike a great mix between using ingredients that are easy to find and not replacing stuff that's important with other stuff just to make it easier for white people to cook, and they've got a good spread of different recipe types. They rarely use fake meat, and when they do, I've generally enjoyed the result. So, they definitely come with my recommendation. I usually add more salt and less sugar than he says to, and also in some of the recipes he says you can use paprika in place of cayenne powder, but that's hilarious and wrong and only in there because he's writing for a largely European audience and Europe had nothing spicier than black pepper for hundreds of years so their palates are all hosed up.

You can search back through my post history in this thread to find some food from some of his books. Here's a couple recipes I made the other day from his books:

Malaysian tempeh cubes (from his Malaysia book)

Sri Lankan fried rice (from his Sri Lanka book)

Both delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The brownie recipe over there looks pretty good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been a while. Another food dump of stuff I've taken pictures of:

Delicious tamale pie. Dough recipe from here with my own black bean chipotle filling.

Qiang Xi Nan Hua Cai 熗西南花菜 / Stir-Fried Broccoli with Chili and Sichuan Pepper from this book, which has a lot of excellent vegan recipes.

Smashed cucumber salad, from the same book I think.

Bear's paw tofu, from that book.

Granola!

My first time making potato chips. I'm still figuring out the process and I think it might be more work than it's worth, but it's kind of fun.

Gan bian cauliflower, recipe from here.

A roasted cauliflower + freekeh salad, although you can't see the freekeh. Sort of used this recipe I think, although I changed some stuff.

Broccoli chickpea salad with currants, moghrabieh, and almonds. One of the reasons I made this was to try out my homemade Dijon mustard, which was great.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fo3 posted:

I always like it when you post pics and recipes.
What''s the story about your homemade dijon mustard though?
It's actually super easy. I used this recipe with no sugar.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Imbroglio posted:

Any suggestions for foods that go well with sauerkraut? I just made a ton of it and, while it's awesome on its own, it would be nice to mix things up a bit. Most of the recommendations I'm finding on the internet are pretty meaty.
You can look up recipes for shchi/schi/shchi/etc. (it's an anglicization of the Russian word Щи) - the sour version of it uses sauerkraut. Lots of recipes have meat but some don't, and you can usually mess around with them to replace the meat without much trouble (mushrooms are a good substitute) or just leave out the meat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's World Vegan Day! I made a cake. Here it is plain, from this recipe:

And here it is covered with ganache, which is just chocolate chips, almond milk, and a splash of Chambord:

It is delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Search me! I skipped all the words and I used canola oil. I also made a cast iron pan pizza:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Midniter posted:

Is "Search me!" analagous to "Ya got me!" in terms of an incredulous expression? Never heard that before.
Yep!

The Midniter posted:

What was on the pizza aside from the onions and potatoes? Any garlic? Olive oil base? Looks awesome.
Onions, potatoes, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, pepper. I like to keep things pretty simple.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The cake tastes fine to me. But I might not be the right person to ask, because I don't think canola oil or plain (as opposed to extra virgin) olive oil have much of a taste in the first place, let alone an aftertaste.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also dino did you ever get that vegan kugel recipe from your friend 2 years ago?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more miscellaneous food:

A very ugly looking but very delicious tasting chestnut mushroom soup.

Some sourdough to go with the soup.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enfys posted:

That soup and bread look amazing. I made one of the mushroom soups posted on the first page and it was amazing (one with various mushrooms and wild rice). Would you mind sharing the recipe (or where you got it)?
For the soup, I sauteed some shallots and garlic (maybe 3 shallots and 4 cloves?) in olive oil (with some salt). Then I added the chopped up mushrooms (I think about a pound of button mushrooms) and cooked them for a while (with more salt), pouring out and reserving the liquid they released every once in a while. Then I added the chestnuts, which I had boiled and peeled (maybe three quarters of a pound?), a few dried shiitake mushrooms I had been soaking in warm water, the mushroom liquid I had been pouring off, and a bunch of stock, and simmered for a while until the chestnuts were more cooked. Then I blended it and added one onion's worth of onion cream. Then, more salt to taste.

It would probably good with sage or thyme or rosemary, and with some sherry or white wine, and also with fried shallots on top. Some sort of fancy chestnut topping might also be neat, and you could leave the olive cream out of the mix and swirl it in at the end if you're serving it to people and want it to look pretty rather than... not very pretty, like mine. No matter what else you top it with, it's worth drizzling on extra virgin olive oil at the end.

Enfys posted:

Do you do anything special to make your round loaves turn out so...round? Seems like a silly question, but whenever I try a round loaf it comes out looking weird.
I basically do what the guy in this video does at 3 minutes in, although rather than pushing away from myself I sort of sweep around in a semicircle under the dough. Every bread recipe I've seen that suggests this also tells you to let it sit after this then shape it for real afterwards (that's what he does in the video) but I've never really seen the point in that. It's already nice and round once it's been shaped like that so why gently caress with it? As long as you score it, it'll be able to rise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah sure. Pressure cookers are great for beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been a while so here are some more pictures:

Moroccan zucchini eggplant stew, Moroccan carrot salad, and za'atar flatbread

Mograbieh and pearl onion soup, Moroccan tomato salad

Those are two meals I made for friends who recently had a baby. I made a third and forgot to take pictures :(

Spicy Chinese noodles. Very boring looking but part of the reason I'm posting is to show people what sorts of stuff vegans can eat, and vegans can eat noodles! They're delicious, too.

Moroccan potato stew

Ethiopian food: yetakelt wet, mesir wot, and injera

Broccoli with garlic sauce (and white rice)

Sourdough!