Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pahuyuth posted:

lawd have mercy that looks divine

I'm especially interested in the eggplant zucchini stew and za'atar flatbread. Can you share the recipes for those?
Here's the eggplant stew. This is the flatbread basically although I don't really measure things precisely.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

If it's okay, I'd like to request a few recipes from your latest selection too, Tycho. How do you prepare your spicy noodles, and what's the recipe for your garlic sauce?
Here's the noodles. The garlic sauce is just this thing although I leave out the sugar.

Colonel J posted:

Holy crap do you eat like that everyday??
Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gorgeous! I think pretty much everyone burns spices the first time through if they haven't grown up watching people cook 'em.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.
Well I make the same stuff over and over again too, I just don't take more than one picture.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another food dump:

Breakfast - ful medames and harcha, which is a Moroccan flatbread made from semolina, salt, and water.

Stir-fried you choy / choy sum (two names for the same thing? I don't speak Chinese).

Another breakfast - congee.

Samosas with tamarind chutney.

Looks like chicken, right? Or at least fake chicken - both verboten in this thread. But no, I bought a bunch of different tofus at the Chinese market the last time I went shopping and I've been trying them out. This is stir-fried fried tofu.

Stir-fried sweet potatoes and "spiced" tofu which is actually just as flavorless as normal, but it has a very nice texture.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .
I don't do anything special. Those were cubed and stir-fried for a few minutes. The other things I'll often do are bake them, or microwave and mash them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eeyo posted:

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.
No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Anything you want! The sky's the limit! This is explicitly not a thread for meat replacements, so you might try something like the general questions thread. If you just want a list of stuff that is good on toast, basically any spread, like hummus/baba ghanouj/bean dips/etc. are good, as are baked beans, other sorts of beans, etc.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If people could maybe start talking about bean recipes that aren't dips or burgers that would be great. Vegans don't just have to eat mush or meat replacements. Here are some things to start off with:

Frijoles negros
Lobia sabzi
Iranian baked beans with pomegranate molasses, walnuts, and chard
Börülce salatasi (Turkish black-eyed bean salad)
Dino's raajma
Classic BBQ baked beans
Prebranac (Serbian baked beans)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

Definitely gonna try this, but just thought I'd double check: 6 medium sized onions?
lol u afraid of onions????? Seriously though, you're going to be reducing them by a huge amount, you won't end up with a crazy amount of onions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This tofu cookbook is $1.99 on Amazon.com right now for the digital version. I think that's a good price? Here are some tofu recipes to inspire you: tofu soup, fish fragrant tofu, tofu salad, mapo tofu, breakfast tofu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I don't think there's really any way to make baked beans look pretty, especially right out of the oven when the top is dry and crusty. I like them for breakfast on toast too! Glad you liked the recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is the no fake poo poo thread.

Speaking of real food, here's breakfast from the other day, via this recipe (without the shrimp, obviously):

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It depends on the recipe. Typically it's asking for a butter replacement, which is like margarine but with less water. But often you can ignore that and just replace it with margarine or with oil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
NO MEAT SUBSTITUTES IN THIS THREAD. Take your fake bacon to a fake food thread if you want! NO FAKE poo poo. THIS IS IN THE OP. I MEAN IT.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eat The Rich posted:

I made this beautiful pot of perfection; it lasted me like 2 days even though it took a whole day to make but it was so good. Any idea what kind of dish this is so I can look up more recipes like it?
Check out this cookbook, which incidentally is linked in the OP already.

Eat The Rich posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for vegan snacks? I get the munchies and for some reason, I am usually very lazy at the time. The vegan candy options are basically shaped sugar and taffy. I'm thinking I might make my own trail mix.
Hummus/bean dip + vegetables, crackers, or flatbread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There's a link to a bunch of Ethiopian recipes in the OP. They're annoyingly in video form, but they at least give you titles of things to look up on Google and so on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Their samosa recipe is great. I make a big batch and freeze them after the first round of frying, then I bake or fry them when I want to eat them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another food dump:

Krumplis tészta / Hungarian potato pasta. One of my new favorite comfort foods. Basically just pasta, potatoes, paprika, onions, garlic, and salt and pepper.

Breakfast many days: hash brown potatoes with some turmeric.

Cauliflower stir fry.

Pasta aglio e olio, made even more famous by the movie Chef.

This cake, which is pretty great, with coffee in place of the milk and more flour than the recipe calls for.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Piggy Smalls posted:

My brother is coming today for Easter and he is a vegan. What can I make him to eat that isn’t too complicated but looks like I put some effort into it.
This is pretty easy but looks pretty effort-laden, I think.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can check the OP for a lot of recipes and links to places with recipes if you want to keep looking.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Wait, I actually wrote down the drat lemon rice recipe? I thought I just threw out a quick youtube video of it. What is this recipe you speak of.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729596&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post447820994

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My first bagels ever:

Everything on the left, onion on the right. Had trouble getting them brown, I think because the seal on my oven is not super great lately. Tasty though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Masoor dal with spinach

Aloo gajar

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made what would be I think the third cabbage stir fry dish I'd post in this thread (there are lots of ways to stir fry cabbage...) but I forgot to take a picture. I did, however, livestream it, so I uploaded the stream to YouTube in case you want to fast forward to the end to see what it looks like.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't think anyone can really tell you what supplements you do or don't have to take without knowing your diet in more detail than chances are even you know. At the very least we need to know what you eat beyond "a lot of vegan food." I don't take any supplements aside from a B12 pill every few weeks or months depending on more or less happenstance, and every time I get a blood test everything's better than fine. In any case, this is the vegan food thread, not a nutrition thread or something. We're cooks, not doctors. Even if we know what we're talking about (and chances are we don't), you have no way of knowing that we know what we're talking about.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

I bought some dried chickpeas and I'm struggling to find some good chickpea based recipes that aren't blatant hipster bait. Any recommendations?
Falafel! Chana pulao! This salad! Pasta e ceci! Spinach salad! Ashe-e reshteh (sans yogurt)! Kedala thal dala! Tsorta tfaya! Garbanzos con espinacas y jengibre! Balilah! Hummus! And everything else everyone has mentioned, especially chana masala.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
NO FAKE CHEEZE. No fake poo poo at all! This is the thread for non-fake food only!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chop up some ginger, garlic, and green onions, fry them until fragrant, add cubed sweet potatoes, stir fry until done, add some soy sauce, then serve over rice or noodles with sesame oil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And add a spicy chili pepper (like Thai or serrano or jalapeno) at the beginning with the ginger/garlic/green onion and throw in spinach at the end! Or use galangal, shallots, lemongrass, and garlic instead of ginger, garlic, and green onion. Or tinker with it in any of a dozen others ways.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was in the Hong Kong airport for 8 hours so I looked around for a place to eat. Almost everywhere was a ton of meat but one of the nice restaurants had a menu with a nice little vegan section which was cool. Anyways here's some more food. They're all basically quick/comfort meals cuz I'm trying to clear out my pantry:

Koshari

Malaysian Fried Noodles

Fried Rice with whatever vegetables I was trying to finish off

Potentially the laziest possible meal: hummus noodles, which is just noodles + hummus + some of the pasta water + some red pepper flakes

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Lots of people like it with garlic (fried up in some olive oil first). You also have to figure out how much olive oil, lemon juice, and salt you want on it, since everyone's got different preferences. Common toppings include sliced tomatoes and diced onions, which might make you enjoy it more.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I literally bought the ingredients for those a few days ago because I'm trying to use up a bunch of cans of coconut milk! When I make them I cut the potatoes a little thinner and I put much more bread crumb topping on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lord Stimperor posted:

You got a working recipe for that? Because that looks extremely delicious.
I realized I called this koshari, which is a mistake - it's mujadra. (Those are two Middle Eastern comfort foods that I always run together in my mind.) I don't use a recipe really, but here's what I do: cook brown lentils until they're soft enough to fully soften when you cook them with the rice. In a large pot, saute some diced onions in olive oil until brown (takes a while). Add rice, stir a bit to toast, and then add enough water to cook the rice, plus the lentils. Add salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the rice and lentils are done. All the while, carmelize some thinly sliced onions and put them on top at the end. You can also add some or all of the following spices: cinnamon, allspice, coriander, cumin, turmeric.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They taste like, uh... I Googled it and one person said "like green beans but more acidic" which I guess is more or less right. They're pretty great, if you ask me, although you do want to be careful handling them in case a spike didn't get removed. Something like this soup is a nice easy place to start. They're good for making tacos.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another food dump. Still trying to use up some pantry items, so, not a ton of very fancy stuff. I'm moving to India soon so I'm trying to get through things like the 13 cans of coconut milk that I have in my cupboard. I buy them every time they're on sale and never really realized how many I had stockpiled...

Using up some tofu sticks (which unfurl when you soak them) to make... I dunno, it's sort of like clay pot chicken (Chinese dish) but with tofu sticks.

A Sri Lankan red lentil dal (with coconut milk). I've posted this in this thread before except that time I made it with moong dal. This is with masoor dal (red lentils).

Using up some pinto beans to make an unappealing looking dish (this is the morning afterwards, eating it for breakfast cold). Just onions, serrano pepper, garlic, spices, and beans (and oil and salt of course). Basically refried beans except I didn't mash and fry them.

Kala chana. Using up my kala chana. Maybe I shouldn't be cooking Indian food if I'm going to be living there and eating it all the time but whatever.

Sri Lankan spinach tomato curry (using up more coconut milk).

Carrot sweet potato soup (using up MORE coconut milk).

Cherry pie (using up two cans of tart cherries my grandma gave me and that I thought would taste not great, but everyone loved it and one person told me it was his favorite cherry pie he'd ever eaten).

Couscous sweet potato salad. Using up couscous I guess but mostly I made this because I had some tarragon and mint that was starting to wilt.

This is a treasured family recipe known as "cabbage stuff." It is cabbage and pasta. My family is of Eastern European origin.

Black bean potatoes. This is using up my douchi, which are fermented black beans used in Chinese cooking. Good stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Black bean potato recipe. I use more white pepper and five spice and I used green onions instead of leeks because I had no leeks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?
I made a chestnut and mushroom soup that I described in this post. It's a little sweet so you might want to balance that out depending on your tastes.

My favorite thing to do with chestnuts, though, is corn bread stuffing. I cook up some southern style cornbread (this is a slightly fancy recipe, this is the simpler one I usually use), let it cool, then chop it into cubes.

Then, I chop up some onions and celery. I saute them in some oil along with sage, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary, or whatever combination you like. Once they're soft/clear, I add them to a roasting pan along with the cornbread croutons, some vegetable stock, some dried cranberries, and some crumbled/chopped roasted chestnuts. You can also add whatever other stuffing things you like. I like a dry stuffing so I don't add lots of stock, but if you like a wetter stuffing you can add more stock or cover it with aluminum foil. I bake it in the oven at a temperature that is probably different every time (depends how much you want to crisp up the cornbread) until it's absorbed + lost however much liquid you want it to absorb + lose. Great stuff! Not so much a summer recipe though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More food:

Making a lot of pies, both to use up my pastry flour and my shortening and because I won't be making many pies in India, I suspect. This is a peach basil pie.

Breakfast: congee topped with Chinese pickled mustard greens, shallots, and garlic. And coffee.

Lemon rice.

Dan dan noodles.

Cabbage stir fry. Different recipe from the 1 or 2 other times I've posted a cabbage stir fry in this thread I think.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can't eat an amount of soy that is harmful to you. Anyways, this is not a nutrition thread, it's a food thread. Go find doctors to ask or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More food:

Using up some gram flour/besan/chickpea flour that I have, I've made some breakfasts:

Besan cheela

Socca

For the 4th of July, I made some food. I forgot to take a picture of the very tasty coleslaw, unfortunately, but it was basically this. I also made:

Potato salad

Hamburger buns. These were for some burgers which I'm only linking on the down low cuz I guess they're sort of fake meat (but they tasted great). The buns were fantastic too. I made these with soy milk and less sugar and everyone loved them. They also toasted up on the grill much better than the store-bought ones, which went from untoasted to burnt very quickly.

Plus some misc food:

Ugly pesto pasta because some of my friends gave me a basil plant and I wanted to use up a lot of it. It turns out you need way more basil for pesto but it tasted fine I guess. Also a nice way to use up some walnuts that I have sitting around.

Stir-fried Taiwan bok choy. I blanched it a little too long but it still tasted great.

Thai potato curry from this excellent book. Using up the galangal and the lemongrass that I have left.

Chocolate chip cookies from this fancy new Serious Eats recipe. It's more work than the ones I usually make (from the cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar). I think I like the cookies I usually make more, although I've made them so often that I've gotten the recipe down to a science, so maybe if I made the Serious Eats cookies way more I'd end up liking them more. Everyone who tried them loved them, so it might just be me. One thing I did like about the recipe is the part where you blend oats to make an egg replacer. That worked surprisingly well.