Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I'm gonna try some vegan baking this weekend :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lady Disdain posted:

Lovely. Have fun, and report back !

I made this lovely orange polenta cake last night. It's exceptionally moist, incredibly delicious, and so orangey. Nigella describes hers as "like lemon curd solidified - but only just," and that really is what it's like. I'm in love with this cake.

I sort of combined this Moroccan orange and cardamom cake and Nigella Lawson's vegan lemon polenta cake.
It's a little bit grainy around the sides, so I think that I'll soak the polenta in the liquid ingredients next time. (And there will definitely be a next time, because it's marvellous... and I accidentally made 3x as much orange stuff as I needed.)

I baked the lemon polenta cake in one of your links.

I agree it’s a bit grainy in places so I need to soak polenta for longer. And also combined things more evenly.

Flavor is delicious where the syrup dripped into toothpick holes. It’s merely good where the syrup didn’t drip in.

Fun event. Fun activity. Nice outcome.

I tried to upload a picture but the iOS app keeps crashing when I select a photo from my library.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh, poo poo, I feel like a recipe-giving fairy godmother :allears:

I didn't have this issue at all; it was pretty evenly syrupy (except for right around the edges, where the cake was firmer). Did you have a hot cake (straight out of the oven), and cooled syrup ? Let it cool in the pan half an hour or so before demoulding ? Did you have lots of holes ?

I had a cake that was cooling for about 15 minutes on a cooling rack. Syrup was cooled in the fridge.

I don't blame the heat, I blame the fact that I didn't put a lot of holes in. I only created ~12 holes in a circle around the center, about equidistant from the center and the edge. I should have done more hole poking.

Also I think I undercooked the cake a bit maybe?

It was still yummy and super lemony :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Work is having folks go back into the office.

What are y'all making for work lunches and how are you bringing it in?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Donuts look delicious! What recipe did you use? Deep frying is addictive because once you do it a single time, you have a bunch of oil that you can either filter, save, and fry with some more, or you can toss it. And I never want to toss it.

TV time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAWl5ggUcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77AhAJp_Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPNbK2B0bo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpVGH6MXh1Y

Oh heck yeah. Dumplings of all types are delicious and shoutout to the goon making vegan potsticker.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are some simple and relatively neat (aka not hard to eat) recipes to share with ~4 people.

Twist: I’m cooking at someone else’s place so I need a recipe with relatively few ingredients. Makes it easier for me to bring stuff.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/italian-orzo-salad/ - this was linked above and seems okay, but kind of plain and not the easiest to eat on a casual setting.

The lemon and herb tofu listed a few posts back also seemed relatively straight forward and good.

E: also I found out I’m doing this tonight, so I don’t have a lot of time to grab specialty items

E2: ooooh this might be the winner

https://www.budgetbytes.com/warm-brussels-sprouts-and-pear-salad/

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 4, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thanks for the recommendations on quick recipe's, my friends.

I recognize that it was a quick turnaround on my request. And we did it :)

I freaking love eating delicious vegan food!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gonna double post because nobody can stop me from sharing some recipes from South India and Poland:

Onion sambar

Beet rasam

Pepper rasam

Mushroom pea kurma

Cauliflower kurma

Cauliflower and peas

Sauerkraut pierogi

Christmas mushroom soup

That cauliflower and pea masala looks so dank

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bollock Monkey posted:

Frying up some mushrooms with garlic and putting them on toast is super easy and really tasty! If you use dairy replacements you can also make them a bit creamy. Perhaps an obvious one but I also used to dislike mushrooms and this is now one of my favourite breakfasts and a good way to showcase different shrooms, plus frying them fairly dry gives them a pleasing texture.

Mushrooms are so yummy

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2020/07/trader-joes-balela.html

Anybody have a good recipe for balela?

I've tried to make it a few times and it never comes out as good as the TJ.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

^I love drunken noodles

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hello, I would like to eat spicy nashville hot chicken. Except tofu.

Please post your fave spicy crispy tofu recipes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't make it very often but I like mary's test kitchen's recipe for stuff like that.

https://www.marystestkitchen.com/best-vegan-fried-chicken-gluten-free/

Thank you for the link!

Fake meat is gross as gently caress. This is neat though because it’s just twice frozen firm tofu.

And that resource you provided has this: https://www.marystestkitchen.com/vegan-nashville-hot-tofu/

Heck yeah

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hello friends, I am looking for the incredible vegan pasta.

Not pasta recipes, but the pasta itself.
  • I've tried stuff like Banza, which is good (especially for the bulk price via Costco).
  • However I am looking for the next level, the most powerful, tender, and delicious vegan pasta you've ever had.
I will spend outside my normal budget to acquire that incredible bucatini!!! Just tell me where to order from!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Carotid posted:

Most dry pasta is vegan, are you looking for something different?

Yes, most of the dry vegan pasta I’ve treated is… ok… but I’m looking for better than ok. I want the high quality noodles!!

Mainly brand tips or anything would be nice.

P.S. I’m a dummy but when I was looking up brands I sometimes found animal product. Didn’t realize most pasta was vegan by default. Think it was because there was some cross pollination with gluten free searches and also I was a dummy lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I need to use my pressure cooker more

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I have an instant pot. It seems neat but 2 of the 4 times I’ve done a “set it and forget it” approach - it didn’t turn out well.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

for fucks sake posted:

My favourite part about instant pot rice is that the ratio is always 1:1 rice:water since there's no evaporation.

The only time I have trouble with set-and-forget is when I'm making anything thicker than a soup, as certain ingredients tend to stick to the bottom and cause a burn alarm.

Soup always works 100% though. Make some pea soup last night in it and it was bloody delicious. Slightly upset it took me this long in my life to discover pea soup tbh.

It’s so nice

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zosologist posted:

My life is such that I frequently find myself needing a gallon of chickpeas in like an hour and a half, so my instant pot has become indispensable.

What's your method for pressure cooking dry chickpeas?
1 cup dry to 3 cups water?
High pressure 23 minutes?

I did some searching and there was an unexpected amount of variance in the recipes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

High or low pressure for ya on those chickpeas ?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Heck yeah good post

I’m gonna eat some leafy greens and chickpeas today can’t wait

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I somehow messed up pressure cooking chickpeas in the instant pot lol

The peas kept coming out tough so I keep doing another round pressure cookin'

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Made some Mediterranean pasta salad.

This is my second time making it. First time was delicious and this time I messed it up. :mad:

I’m made especially at the dressing which uses way to much acid and mustard.

I made a big batch for meal prep and I’m miffed that it’s bad. Gonna work my way through it though.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Done and done. Fat, oil, and sugar were added.

Plus cucumber!!! It makes or breaks the dang salad!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love tofu stir fry

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love eating plants

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think chickpeas and cucumbers will add a nice combo of oomph and crunch.

Also I don’t know what wfpb is.

I have yet to find a salad that I make on Sunday and is good through Friday. Normally there’s a quality dip by Thursday.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Somebody teach that goon about tempeh because tempeh and Saiyan always taste weird to me even though I love tofu!!!

E: lol at autocorrect, ima leave it and you can guess what I was typing

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Any marinade will work for tempeh. My recent favorite has been this recipe for buffalo tempeh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3VcUwimMyM

I also enjoy making tempeh kebabs, scrambles, and keema.

Buffalo cauliflower is top tier

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tempeh texture is weird for me

Or maybe it was Seitan - always get ‘em mixed up

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love chickpeas.

I love curry.

I am unstoppable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Same

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

But now I hunger for delicious tomato-ey vegan pizza WITHOUT the fake cheese.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mango Polo posted:

This is the only pizza cheese I bother to make: https://schoolnightvegan.com/home/super-cheesy-vegan-mozzarella/

Even then that’s a rarity now. Slow Caramelised onion pizza and pesto potato pizza are just too a++

…mama Mia…. That sounds so good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also think it’s gross!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love smoothies because I lift and I get protein from da powder.

Gotta have some blueberries in there, leafy greens of course (spinach or kale), a banana (the backbone of any good smoothie), and then a tiny bit of either maple syrup or peanut butter. Then we enjoy all that delicious protein powder goodness :)

E: almond/coconut milk and water

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Apparently this is coming out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1615198539/

Dr. Sheil Shukla
Plant-Based India: Nourishing Recipes Rooted in Tradition

I'll definitely be scooping up this one. Guy's a fresh md out of Chicago, well known.

Exciting! Have to agree with the previous poster though where it’s tough to justify buying a book when there so many good free recipes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I didn't think I was old-school but I don't love printing recipes mid cooking or pulling poo poo up on my phone that went to sleep between ingredients, but I digress.

My wife is the better cook and she's excited, so just trying to share. I mean we have an entire bookshelf filled with pretty much everything possible. I feel like you can never have too many recipes I guess, even if we have go to recipes like colcannon and coleslaws this weekend ( we have an abundance of cabbage and potatoes this week).

Although a few books in the bookshelf are there just for the horror, like a 1950s Hadassah cookbook full of super nasty recipes.

I didn’t mean to come off like I was judging you. I support your efforts and I appreciate you sharing the resource with the thread!

Having a book recipe with the physical book is 100% more pleasing to do squint at phones or whatever. But not enough to make me pay for the book lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What’s your dumpling wrapper recipe and process ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I ate plants today - broccoli and tomatoes 😎

I am going to a friends pizza making party. What are some of your fave vegan toppings / approaches?

The usual stuff is covered like onions and tomatoes, thinking I’ll just have a pizza sans the cheese. Don’t think I wanna do the fake cheese stuff.