Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yeah, fair point. I think I just assumed supermarket dried would be, I dunno, treated with growth inhibitors or really old or who fuckin' knows. Perhaps I will sproot.

Once dried, seeds need to become wet again to sprout, so the packaging takes care of that. Viability does decrease over time, but that takes years to be a problem. In the US at least, generally it's as you imagine: if you're is trying to grow plants from supermarket vegetables, you do run the risk that they're not viable when they're not organic (e.g., they may have been irradiated to increase shelf life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU