Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Today is the New Year of Ancient Egypt and I'd like to make a traditional Egyptian (vegetarian) meal for my girlfriend. I don't know if anybody knows any traditional or popular Egyptian (and more particularly Egyptian than Arabic) meals that I could make, but if anyone has a recipe they could share, I'd be grateful. I did not see a Middle Eastern thread in the first five or six pages of GWS so maybe there's a better resource, but ya'lls got some tasty meat-free recipes up in this.

Koshary!

Ingredients
4 oz. ditalini or macaroni, cooked
2 oz. spaghetti, cooked
4 oz. brown lentils, rinsed
Kosher salt, to taste
1 cup cooked basmati rice (optional)
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
2 cups canola oil
1⁄4 cup flour
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar

Instructions
Combine ditalini and spaghetti in a bowl; set aside. Put lentils and 4 cups water into a 2-qt. saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 20 minutes. Season lentils with salt, drain, and transfer to a bowl along with rice and chickpeas; set aside.

Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Put flour into a bowl, add onions, and toss to coat. Working in 2 batches, add onions to hot oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels to drain; reserve oil.

Spoon 4 tbsp. oil from skillet into a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cumin, cayenne, and ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and remove from heat. To serve, divide pasta mixture between 4 bowls; top with lentil mixture and fried onions. Spoon tomato sauce over each bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As for not using enough tahini to justify buying it, you should try finding some recipes with tahini. It's a really great ingredient. It can go in dan dan noodles, salads, sauces, wuhan noodles, and so on. Although frankly hummus is so good that I could probably go through infinite tahini just making hummus forever. When I buy tahini I buy a big ol' jar:

Side note: While trying to recreate some street food from Taiwan I learned the hard way that tahini and asian-style sesame pastes are not swapable.