Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like Israeli couscous as kind of a pasta salad thing, mostly because unlike regular couscous, it will stay on a goddamn fork.

It's good as a Greek salad thing with tomatoes, onions, olives, peppers, etc.

It's also good with honey (if you use it) and pomegranate molasses with diced dried fruits (raisins, apricots, prunes, etc) toasted almonds, thyme, etc.

You could do something with it and sundried tomatoes, basil, basalmic vinegar and oil, preserved lemon.

It's pretty neutral so just do what you'd do with couscous, just cut the other ingredients larger. Make tabbouleh, just bigger tabbouleh. Like, just a vegan butter/oil and lemon sauce would be nice, add whatever herbs are around. It's basically pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Important to note that hing while delicious smells terrible until it's cooked and you should keep it in a sealed container or it'll stink up your whole spice area.

It's not a "wow I found cute magnetic spice containers that live on the fridge" thing it's a "wow I found a bunker from the cold war and no one seems to be using it" thing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I buy mushrooms at the farmer's market from this lady: https://www.instagram.com/kellysgourmetmushrooms/

You could see if you have a similar mushroom lady somewhere in town. Blue oyster are very nice and pretty much an all-rounder; I've never liked button mushrooms. Her lion's mane mushrooms are also nice.

She sells straw logs inoculated with spores for $20 or something, apparently they produce for 2 months with "no smell or mess" but I would kill them in a week, if that, so. Might be fun if you have kids and a green thumb.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cheetah7071 posted:

I have a large variety of noodles I bought when I was thinking "I'll make a lot of noodle stir-fries!" and then never used because my first stir fry attempts did not turn out well

anybody have any recommendations on how to not suck at it, or just recipes to follow

My usual "asianesque" stir fry sauce is totasted sesame oil, black vinegar, garlic, ginger, shaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and whatever hot sauce (lao gan ma/sambal olek/sriracha) - it works with most things and the only caveat is that if you use it with everything it all tastes the same.

Garnish is pretty easy and makes a lazy meal less depressing. You can trim and plant green onions and they'll come back up, smash some roasted peanuts in a ziplock while picturing your problem on it. A container of vegan furikake would be nice too.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you generally like miso, it's a pretty good addition to kale chips in addition to nooch.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
While not everyone's favorite, I've always liked TVP. I think it depends on what you want to make, it's versatile and what you're cooking is going to change the way you prepare it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Tycho these photo posts are incredible, I'm so interested in the indigenous veg.!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

I just made the most spectacular improvised dessert of my life.

I used the ratios and process in this recipe for nylon khaman (normally a savoury dish) to make an exceptionally delicious steamed besan cake.

Oh, this looks lovely.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Looks great, and fantastic plating. I'd enjoy that!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Besan is so versatile, I love it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

I have a bring-a-plate thing coming up for work.
I need something that I can make ahead of time and can either be eaten cold/room temp, microwaved, or done in a crockpot.
Any suggestions ?

My go to is generally pearl couscous salad for potlucks. It's easy, infinitely versatile, and keeps well without getting soggy (you could dress it at work if you want but it's better with a little time to sit in the dressing, even better if you can give it a few quick stirs through the morning.) You could use regular couscous but if it's a standing event that just gets messy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Fall Dog posted:

Dessert was a chilli and chocolate brownie with biscoff icecream, all home-made.

This is simply outstanding looking, I don't even care for sweets and I'm still :eyepop:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

I have decided to do this, thanks. Do you have a particular recipe you'd recommend, before I go and wing it ?

I usually wing it. Veg quality is important and fresh herbs work best.

https://plantbasedonabudget.com/israeli-couscous-salad/ covers the basics of what I usually do (I think toasting the couscous is important) although you can use whatever veg you've got, add some vegan feta/cheese if you like.

These salads often skew mediterranean but I've made a vegan wedding pilaf pearl couscous salad (raisins/dates, toasted almonds/pistachio, etc. with spices of choice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

Couscous salad was a success !

I tossed cauliflower, pumpkin, sweet potato, red onion, zucchini and beetroot in oil, salt, pepper, and ground coriander, cumin and fennel seed. Roasted at 200C until done.
Fried garlic in the oil from a jar of sundried tomatoes, then toasted the couscous in it, then cooked according to package directions, using veggie stock.
Combined it all with some cucumber, dried apricots, walnuts, vegan fetta, and an orange juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.
It was meant to have fresh mint but I forgot it, and capsicum but there wasn't enough room in the container.
I also should've used more dressing, and let it sit in the dressing longer than I did; I gave it about 6 hours, but it could've done with a good 12.

All in all, a solid 9/10.

I am so impressed with how beautiful this looks. It's like a stained glass window.