Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is the aldi stuff in Europe different from in the US? In the US we have half gallon cartons in the fridge that are pretty much like silk (the brand).

notwithoutmyanus posted:

TJ's (trader Joe's) soymilk is the only budget, and taste acceptable solution soymilk I've seen work for anything I make as well. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a US brand as it's an Aldi owned chain. Westwood has similar but about 2x the price.

I use it for every recipe that needs a milk, and have zero issues with baking with it.

For cashews, azure standard (us only I think?) has bulk raw cashews at a great price for making cashew cream.

I'm going to split hairs here that don't really need splitting, but I cannot resist. Aldi is a German brand originally, but they split into Aldi north and Aldi south. Aldi south owns all the Aldi stores in the US and Aldi north owns Trader Joes. So Trader Joes is an Aldi brand, but it's distinct from the Aldi stores in the US since it's associated with the other Aldi chain in Germany.

That being said I should check out their soymilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Guess what these are and win a prize! (The prize is respect and admiration)

My guess: some kind of physalis (ground cherry, tomatillo, etc). The husks have been turned out and woven into some kind of megafruit.

Made an experimental dish today which turned out good:

Tomatillo, spinach, and cilantro with some kidney beans, with a baked potato. Kind of a spinach curry, but with tomatillo. I was a bit light-handed on the spices since my wife doesn't like it spicy, so it needed a bit more. But I liked the tanginess, worked great on the potato.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Samovar posted:

My partner made some home-made sunflower seed tofu based off this recipe and I HIGHLY recommend it. Without anything other than a light frying in salted oil (eaten in a general stir fry), they gave a wonderfully nutty, almost beefy taste. VERY good.

Old post but yeah, sunflower seeds give a nice meaty flavor when toasted. I used to make a pasta sauce that was just ground toasted sunflower seeds, tomato (and herbs/spices) and beans. The flavor really reminded me of my mother's meatballs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

No pictures, but I made some mercimek köftesi (turkish lentil balls) recently: https://vidarbergum.com/recipe/turkish-lentil-meatballs-mercimek-koftesi/

They were super good and easy to make. They have a nice tomato/pepper flavor, a good soft but cohesive texture, nice pop from the onions, and some nice lentil savoriness. Gotta make them again, I wonder what they'd be like if I fried them.