Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Dang, I had no idea Manjulas was explicitly no onion. Awesome. Is there a site dedicated to like...nut free vegan recipes that has *good* recipes? Was thinking along the same concept for some of my relatives who don't consider vegan because of nut allergies.

Nuts are maybe more common in vegan dishes than non-vegan, but there are still tons of recipes without them. Even recipes with them, they are often used as a garnish that could easily be omitted. In looking through the various vegan main-dish recipes I've bothered to write up, only one has nuts as a non-garnish ingredient.

Nut allergies really shouldnt be a major barrier to trying any type of diet - its possible they are using their allergies as a polite excuse to just not try anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Here's a recipe for stir fried brassicas that I make regularly. I think this is best with baby bok choy or baby broccoli, but it would work well with most of the brassicas I think, including turnip greens.

2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil, like canola
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 ½-inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes, or to taste
Approx 1.5 lbs of brassicas (bok choy, broccoli), cleaned and cut into pieces (small baby bok choy can be done whole)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon veg stock or water
Toasted sesame oil for drizzling, or sesame seeds

1. In a large sauté pan with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic, ginger and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add vegetables and stir carefully to cover with oil, then cook for approximately 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, stock or water, then cover pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes more, until steam begins to escape from beneath the lid of the pan.
3. Uncover and continue to cook until liquid is close to evaporated and stalks are soft to the touch, approximately 3 minutes more.
4. Before serving, drizzle with sesame oil, or top with sesame seeds.

edit: if you have a chinese market nearby, gai lan is a very good choice also

drk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 28, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I've got a bag of ground flax that says it can be mixed with a little water as a egg replacer.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made an almost* vegan version of this chinese-japanese dish: https://www.justonecookbook.com/beef-green-pepper-stir-fry/

Only major change made to the recipe was using shimeji mushrooms instead of beef and shishito peppers instead of bell peppers

*i also used water instead of chicken broth and there is a tiny amount of oyster sauce in this, but there are vegan versions

Very good, would eat again

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

I made a version of this, and it was pretty bloody good.

This looks really good. Stir fry is a great way to use leftover veg, or stuff like broccoli stems (very good!) that might otherwise get tossed.

Ulillinguist posted:

I would be very interested to know what the rest of you did when you transitioned to veganism,

I changed my diet to 80-90% vegan about 6 months ago. Efforts in the past to go 100% didn't last, but >80% is working well for me.

Here's a few things that helped me stick with it:

-Avoid the fake meat stuff, it's mostly over processed, too expensive, and honestly not that good.

-Get some cookbooks! My local library system has a ton of cookbooks, including tons of vegan stuff or vegetarian stuff that is easily adapted. There are lots of good recipes online, but being able to flip through a nice book and plan out things to make is nice. I keep track of recipes I like with any changes or notes on Google docs.

-I eat the same breakfast more or less every day: steel cut oatmeal, mixed berries (frozen), ground flax, almonds, walnuts, and a little cinnamon and sweetener. This has a nice mix of carbs, protein, and fats, and fiber, with omega3s (which can be lacking in vegan diets) coming from the flax and walnuts. It's also all stuff that will keep well for weeks, so I don't need to buy the ingredients that often. Everyone's tastes are different, but for me breakfast is the easiest meal to consistently eat vegan.

-You should probably think about supplements. All vegans need B12, and it is very likely you will need calcium as well unless you drink fortified plant milks. I also take a vegan omega 3 most days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oh! That time it was the trader joes soy chorizo, but I like doing lentil tacos too. Specifically very similar to this (chorizo lentils) or I see someone reproduced the soy chorizo here, so I'll absolutely be testing that recipe/customizing as none of my family do much of this style with allspice or cinnamon, but absolutely cook with the rest.

thanks for this

I made the chorizo lentils using red lentils and ate them over brown rice with avocado and pineapple (dont judge)

very good, would make again. the recipe is aggressively spiced, would probably increase the lentils and broth by a bit