Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've been trying to think of a way to articulate why I didn't like the game. I think it's largely because I think it fundamentally fails as a rhythm game, so all that's left is an endless runner type game, which I can't stand.

The best rhythm game interfaces are all very clean as to where you need to look. Consider the interfaces for Rock Band, or Taiko no Tatsujin. They both have very clearly defined target zones, and the notes you have to hit stand out, and they all move predictably. There are some flashy things outside the approach szone if you will, but they don't demand your attention. The relevant information about the level is cleanly presented. In Runner, there are so many distractions. The background is busy, especially with its moving elements like the mine cards Simply Simon mentioned. The obstacles generally move towards you at a constant rate, until one of those tiny cube things flies in from out of nowhere. It's not there when I play my copy, but in the videos, the flash when you collect the gold is blinding.

Even with a bad interface though, I think it fundamentally fails as a rhythm game because it demands the player be off sync with the music and sound cues. Whenever you collect, jump over, slide under, or kick something, it plays a sound cue to make some kind of melody with the background track. The problem is that you can't jump, slide, or kick to that rhythm because if you do, you're already done for. So instead, you play trying to keep the tempo in mind, but needing to deliberately ignore the "intended" timing.

So, I tried to play it as an endless runner, and I really didn't like it. According to Steam, I spent about two hours on zone one before giving up on Odyssey. I'm sloppy and inconsistent, so it was an easy place to just drop the game. Maybe I'd have enjoyed it more if I could play some of the zone 2 levels, but it just never clicked with me like Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV.

I have to say though, I'm a little disappointed you haven't tapped your own rhythm in the empty stretches of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread