Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Resident music :spergin: and future Grammy nominee here to criticize the musical aspects of this game. While I enjoy the compositions themselves, it's issues lie almost entirely in the arrangement. To expand on what Unpronounceable stated earlier, lot of the pickups and actions in this game are not only offbeat, but off time completely. I noticed this the most in the Zone 2 boss. The fireball sound effects were off time, and then avoiding them was also off time. This is just poor planning. The lack of music in the retro levels is bothersome and leaves me kind of bored when the video gets to those levels, as well, though this is no fault to you, Wugga. Furthermore, the zones themselves don't have enough variance between soundtracks. They are just far too similar.

Lastly, my biggest issue. There's very little evidence that the composer (or level designer) understands dynamics (more specifically how arrangement affects dynamics). The aspect of picking up cores to change up the music is a great idea, however I feel it was implemented so poorly. As with other pickups, the placement of the cores is frequently offbeat/off time, and while that's a minor issue with other pickups, having an off time dynamic shift is incredibly jarring. I found the last core itself (Ultra to Extra) to be the most annoying aspect. While having a musical drop off certainly has it's time and place, it's placement tends to be only a few bars from the previous one, again, usually falling offbeat. The worst part, though, is they tend to be waaay too early in the level, losing so much momentum and excitement while the level is still throwing curveballs at you.

Am I being too harsh on an indie game? Probably. My problem is they could've done better. The potential is already there. As it is, it feels like quick and sloppy work. It comes so close to working well, and fixing it wouldn't take much more than moving a few pickups around.

That said, the game itself is a pretty neat concept, I'm looking forward to the conclusion. Thanks for showing this off, Wugga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread