Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you watched this show and haven't read the manga, please post because I want to hear your opinion most of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The after credits segment was pretty funny.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleDonut posted:

If you watched this show and haven't read the manga, please post because I want to hear your opinion most of all

it looks kinda boring and generic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is for a little bit at least, fairly quickly they straight up drop the "can't lie" gimmick. The series starts to pick up serious steam around the time the principal is introduced.

The unfortunate side effect of dropping earlier gimmicks is we tend to only be stuck with female shiho most of the time (not that that's necessarily a bad thing)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Cute so far, we'll see.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Finally got to see the episode.

Rodyle posted:

That OP is a really special kind of terrible

Holy poo poo, I thought people might have been harsh yet that OP was aggressively bad. I don't remember the last time I skipped the OP in a series but this is one of them.

That aside the show was good, the ED was cute, and the after ED skit was great. I'm just hoping it ramps things up sooner than later.

Fake Brit
Jun 4, 2011
Having not read the manga, I feel that right now, I'll stick with it. Hopefully it picks up the pace, but so far, I'm liking what I see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If anyone decides to drop it, I would suggest just switching to the manga instead. The anime itself still has promise, we're still in the early bits that were also slow in the manga, but the manga quickly grew into one of my favorite series ever and I can only hope the same thing happens with the anime version.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What the gently caress is this OP. And wow, Sakura really does sound weird. Oka seems about right, though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think Sakurada's voice is just about right, but I've read the raws, and he talks kinda girly there, so that colored my image of his voice. It's something that wouldn't easily be conveyed by the English translation.

EDIT: In my head Oka is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, but the guy they chose for him is good enough.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 7, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I am really not feeling this adaptation. I'll wait to see others' reports of it getting any better, but given the OP and ED, I'm not entirely sure the directors/producers understand what this series is actually about.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chumbler posted:

Yeah I am really not feeling this adaptation. I'll wait to see others' reports of it getting any better, but given the OP and ED, I'm not entirely sure the directors/producers understand what this series is actually about.

It's more that they probably don't care. Have 4+ cute anime girls? They better just be cutely friending it up in OPs and EDs, regardless of the context of the show.

In other words, I put less than zero stock on a show's opening and ending.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Invictus posted:

It is for a little bit at least, fairly quickly they straight up drop the "can't lie" gimmick. The series starts to pick up serious steam around the time the principal is introduced.

The unfortunate side effect of dropping earlier gimmicks is we tend to only be stuck with female shiho most of the time (not that that's necessarily a bad thing)

I feel the principal pretty much makes the manga as amusing as it is, the whole thing is kind of dull until she shows up.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Finally got to see the episode.

Holy poo poo, I thought people might have been harsh yet that OP was aggressively bad. I don't remember the last time I skipped the OP in a series but this is one of them.

That aside the show was good, the ED was cute, and the after ED skit was great. I'm just hoping it ramps things up sooner than later.

Shokugeki no Somas OP is worse then that.

Edit: I'll give it a couple more episodes, maybe the show will find its footing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

But the scene in the OP with the 10000 principals running with the arms full of sweets is great

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Felt pretty ehhh on it, there were some decent jokes but nothing I'd write home about. Just kinda seems like it's gonna get into a a familiar comedic formula and that's perfectly fine but I have a bunch of other comedy things in my backlog so I can't really see myself following it weekly.

I feel like they could have cut out most of the buildup to the reveal without losing a whole lot, I don't think it needed half an episode to get to that point (And I felt the second half was better as a result).

Also I didn't dislike the OP? Could have been a more energetic one I guess but I didn't mind the song.

I would ramble on a little more but welp gotta leave.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Things seem negative, but lets face it, chapter 1 of the manga isn't fantastic either. Op is pretty bad, ED seems good. The main issue was pacing in my opinion. The whole episode just kind of went on and on.

Honestly they are going to have to mess this up pretty spectacularly for me to not keep watching. I really want to see things once the principle shows up. I fully expect episodes to be hit or miss though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Srice posted:

Felt pretty ehhh on it, there were some decent jokes but nothing I'd write home about. Just kinda seems like it's gonna get into a a familiar comedic formula and that's perfectly fine but I have a bunch of other comedy things in my backlog so I can't really see myself following it weekly.

I feel like they could have cut out most of the buildup to the reveal without losing a whole lot, I don't think it needed half an episode to get to that point (And I felt the second half was better as a result).

Also I didn't dislike the OP? Could have been a more energetic one I guess but I didn't mind the song.

I would ramble on a little more but welp gotta leave.

Hmm, I feel this is probably a common sentiment. The first episode wasn't that great. To be honest, first chapter wasn't that great. Fans of the manga will stick with it because we know it gets good a few chapters in, but, by then, most people will have bailed out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would say it doesn't really become good until the principal shows up, and she's the last of the regulars.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Covok posted:

Hmm, I feel this is probably a common sentiment. The first episode wasn't that great. To be honest, first chapter wasn't that great. Fans of the manga will stick with it because we know it gets good a few chapters in, but, by then, most people will have bailed out.

A lot of shows of this type get way better once character introductions are over so I'd be real surprised if it didn't improve after that. Even the classics like Urusei Yatsura have a huge leap in quality between its best and its starting point.

It's something I'd certainly be willing to give a little time to see how it improves, though I'm in no hurry and will probably wait for some episodes to pile up first.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So, watched first episode. Fairly standard adaptation, with the Miia introduction and the shenanigans with just her. Still laugh when I saw the lamia panties joke, although I wonder how superhuman Kimihito is to get slapped by her giant snake tail and only get lightly bruised.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Clever girl

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

So, watched first episode. Fairly standard adaptation, with the Miia introduction and the shenanigans with just her. Still laugh when I saw the lamia panties joke, although I wonder how superhuman Kimihito is to get slapped by her giant snake tail and only get lightly bruised.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Wrong thread, although I can see how you'd get confused.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tarezax posted:

I think Sakurada's voice is just about right, but I've read the raws, and he talks kinda girly there, so that colored my image of his voice. It's something that wouldn't easily be conveyed by the English translation.

EDIT: In my head Oka is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, but the guy they chose for him is good enough.

As much as I enjoy Sugita's goofy voice, getting the dude who made Kakyoin super fun in the new JoJo seems like a step in the right direction. Also, Kasanoda/Casanova as Sakurada fits just right. :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

As much as I enjoy Sugita's goofy voice, getting the dude who made Kakyoin super fun in the new JoJo seems like a step in the right direction. Also, Kasanoda/Casanova as Sakurada fits just right. :3:

We'll never see him go into delinquent mode with this run though.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

If anyone decides to drop it, I would suggest just switching to the manga instead. The anime itself still has promise, we're still in the early bits that were also slow in the manga, but the manga quickly grew into one of my favorite series ever and I can only hope the same thing happens with the anime version.

The first episode was decent-but-not-great. More importantly it reminded me about the manga, I heard about it a while ago, thought it seemed cool but forgot.
After reading a few chapters I think I'll drop the anime and keep reading, it's mostly faithful so far but the crazy faces do add a lot.
e: I kinda like the anime's characters design, especially vampire girl, it has charm, but on the other hand, crazyfaces. Seconding that the first episode could have went a bit faster.

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2015

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
As resident guy-who-sometimes-works-on-this-stuff: It was decent. As most have said before, it was lacking some of the charm of the later art of the manga, but it's worth keeping up on. Hopefully they hit a good pace and get the art down. Lord knows they probably rushed to change the faces after they released the promo art and everyone shat bricks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

who thought japanese boy band poo poo was suitable for a harem anime op and ed. eww.

Haven't read the manga. First episode pacing felt weird, they seemed to spend too much time on some scenes that didn't need it. Don't particularly like the art style, seems like far too strong outlines, it doesn't fit the "goofy faces" thing that's supposedly a primary draw of the manga's?
Overall I'm not impressed, giving it one more episode to win me over. (I'm going to skip those OP and ED songs so much.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nielsm posted:

Don't particularly like the art style, seems like far too strong outlines, it doesn't fit the "goofy faces" thing that's supposedly a primary draw of the manga's?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doomed :(

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I know it's the anime version and that some things simply cannot be animated without going with a huge budget and time and staff and that your studio gets tax cuts based on how much you shorten the skirt but :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow. Just ... wow. It's pretty painfully obvious that the art team really just doesn't "get" the manga. Like, it wouldn't necessarily take any much more budget to be accurate to the original goofiness of it, rather than taking the generic bishoujou show route.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lol the skirt.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eh, well this thread (and not the manga ver.) has convinced me to read it, so yay! I guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wow. Just ... wow. It's pretty painfully obvious that the art team really just doesn't "get" the manga. Like, it wouldn't necessarily take any much more budget to be accurate to the original goofiness of it, rather than taking the generic bishoujou show route.

It's the job of the character designer, iirc from Shirobako, and the animation director to make sure the style is consistent with whatever style they're going with. I will, however, echo some of the statements that it seems to keep pretty close with the original since the unique style most manga readers are used to doesn't show up until later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

While the comparison is nice, these aren't from the same scene.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kanos posted:

While the comparison is nice, these aren't from the same scene.

I think the point is that it's the same pose which is pretty hard to dispute. Unless the skirt magically grows later and Youko manages to find her inner Cool Beauty, it may as well be the same scene which isn't encouraging.

All that aside, I'm still going to watch this until the end. They're going to have to Try to ruin this in order for me to stop in the middle of the season.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I think the point is that it's the same pose which is pretty hard to dispute. Unless the skirt magically grows later and Youko manages to find her inner Cool Beauty, it may as well be the same scene which isn't encouraging.

All that aside, I'm still going to watch this until the end. They're going to have to Try to ruin this in order for me to stop in the middle of the season.

Anime Director Person posted:

Challenge accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's the job of the character designer, iirc from Shirobako, and the animation director to make sure the style is consistent with whatever style they're going with. I will, however, echo some of the statements that it seems to keep pretty close with the original since the unique style most manga readers are used to doesn't show up until later.

Yeah, but even at the beginning it wasn't quite your generic wide-eyes moe style either.

He had a fairly unique style, sort of realistic, and almost more like a ( heavily manga-influenced) Western comic.

Anyway!! It's only episode 1 after all. Let's still give it a shot.

• Locked thread