Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Son Ryo posted:

I would love to have the battle system significantly changed-- or at least the godawful equipment system. I basically can't play this game, despite how charming it is, or FFTA because that system where you have to equip outdated gear to get skills just kills me.

Maybe I am a masochist but I liked the gear to skill system. It made acquiring weapons and armor mean a lot more to the point where you want one of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is a perfect example of why I love this game. It's such a tiny detail, there's no need to have added it but Square put it in there (as well as the preceding cut-scene) just to add an emotive punch to the accepted as standard practice of looting NPCs of everything.

I still take the 9 gil every time I play :smith:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I think it might be a little early to be bitching about a mechanic that literally hasn't even come up in the LP yet, guys... :shobon:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

idonotlikepeas posted:

One day I may play this and not rename Vivi to Orko.

...nah.

I always, always rename Vivi to Vincent. I did it on a whim the first time and it stuck so thoroughly that I got confused reading a discussion about ff7 when I came across Vincent being referenced. I was like, that was ff9?!

Great lp so far, showing off the little details is great. I never saw that dialogue about the "guardettes" and loving alleyway Jack mugs you if you don't talk to him in time. If he walks past you he just takes a handful of cash off you. loving rude.

I don't think the church is half missing, it's just a cutaway for an exterior / interior shot. I dunno, like the sims? Feels awful referencing that though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh how I would kill for a hi-res prerender backgrounds version of FFIX

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
FFIX is incredibly good.

It is one of the absolutely best presented games I have ever seen, everything everywhere just gels perfectly together to make the atmosphere above and beyond. It's so good that even I as a total gameplay-over-story nerd don't really care that the battle system could use some huge improvements and that the card game is total garbage.

FFV is the best Final Fantasy to play, but FFIX takes the cake and eats it as the best Final Fantasy to experience.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh how I would kill for a hi-res prerender backgrounds version of FFIX

Here's grandmas house in Alexandria:

Not everything is available, but you can find the original resolutions of a good chunk of backgrounds in the game since it was created by a largely multicultural team with Western artists that still keep their portfolios around. It's the closest you'd get, sadly.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 7, 2015

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I'm aware that it's probably heresy, but I did like Tetra Master. I never did get one of every card, but I do like the designs on them. Some of the ones you can get are really pretty. Good to see an LP of one of my favorite FF games. I used to lose hours just playing around with sidequests. So it'll be fun to see how you tackle them, Mega. :allears:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You missed a neat little reference in the town square of Alexandria.

What's that? The Magus Sisters?

Edit. This game is awesome, probably my favourite FF game. I'd buy it on Steam in a heartbeat if it ended up on there.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 7, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

You missed a neat little reference in the town square of Alexandria.

Oh, nice. I'm not surprised I missed something like that (and probably a lot more). I'll try to show that off on my next visit in the area.

Music Junkie posted:

I'm aware that it's probably heresy, but I did like Tetra Master. I never did get one of every card, but I do like the designs on them. Some of the ones you can get are really pretty. Good to see an LP of one of my favorite FF games. I used to lose hours just playing around with sidequests. So it'll be fun to see how you tackle them, Mega. :allears:

Even though the last update may not sound like it since I crap on two of them, I really do love the sidequests and minigames in this game. There's one that'll be in the next update that should be fun to do.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It never actually occured to me that tetra master is useless and I did the jump rope to 300. :negative:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This is the best Final Fantasy. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I only play Tetra Master a few times just so the tournament is less painful later on, but honestly Tetra Master is garbage. The numbers don't even matter. It's all random anyway. I do find it interesting that the cards have a sort of FF2 leveling system to them though. If you use them about a thousand times or something stupid, their numbers will go up a little bit.

I've never been able to jump rope past 20. gently caress jump roping.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

This is the best Final Fantasy. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I only play Tetra Master a few times just so the tournament is less painful later on, but honestly Tetra Master is garbage. The numbers don't even matter. It's all random anyway. I do find it interesting that the cards have a sort of FF2 leveling system to them though. If you use them about a thousand times or something stupid, their numbers will go up a little bit.

I've never been able to jump rope past 20. gently caress jump roping.
Just wait for the HD remake (maybe in 10 years after the FF7 one does gangbusters?), jump-roping will give you a Trophy and there will be guides upon guides for the best method not unlike lightning dodging in FFX. Then it'll be totally worth it :downs:.
Seriously though, it's neat that they put it in because you don't get anything substantial from it.

To expand on Tetra Master, I know how it ticks (read up on it at GameFAQs, that is), and that takes the edge off the byzantine way it's presented, but the insane randomness really nails that coffin. It's too bad, really, because it could be a fun (if meaningless) diversion; I played it a bunch the first time around as exactly that, but with Save States, because it's utter nonsense without. You will lose your best cards to the lowliest Goblin, there is really never a 100% chance to win outright, afaik (okay, maybe in some extreme cases).

It's quite the shame, but again, it ultimately doesn't matter because of how optional it really is. :spergin:-bait anyway because of what you have to do to get 100%...

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

How exactly does filling out the card list glitch things? Is it a minor thing, or something kinda big?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

How exactly does filling out the card list glitch things? Is it a minor thing, or something kinda big?

I think it's a game breaking thing, but no tester or player was ever crazy enough to do it, save for one.

And it's not just filling it out. Your card master score is based on how many unique cards you have PLUS how many unique arrows you have on those cards. If you have all 100 cards with 100 unique arrow setups, your score becomes perfect, and your game starts glitching out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Blank has two-toned skin and stitches. Is he a zombie or a flesh golem or what? How many people did he used to be?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Blank has two-toned skin and stitches. Is he a zombie or a flesh golem or what? How many people did he used to be?
yes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Welcome to Final Fantasy IX!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

I think it's a game breaking thing, but no tester or player was ever crazy enough to do it, save for one.

And it's not just filling it out. Your card master score is based on how many unique cards you have PLUS how many unique arrows you have on those cards. If you have all 100 cards with 100 unique arrow setups, your score becomes perfect, and your game starts glitching out.

Don't forget leveling all 100 cards twice each so they have an A rank as their type!

As far as I'm aware the glitch is just a minor graphical one on the display of your rank in the card menu. Max rank, 'The Collector' iirc, is awarded at the maximum points of 1700. It just doesn't display correctly. If I had to guess it's due to it being the only rank that is comprised of 2 words.

If anyone cares, you get 10 points for each unique card design, 5 for each unique arrow combination and 2 Points for every A rank Type. (or 1 point for a X rank type.)

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

YggiDee posted:

I really love that all of Tantalus are apparently demi-human. Zidane has a monkey tail (and spoilers), Blank is a Frankenstein monster man, Baku is obviously a pigman, I assume Marcus had a goblin for a parent, and who the hell knows what Cinna is. They're all such dynamic, interesting designs.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

dancingbears posted:

Baku is obviously a pigman

Actually Baku is a Tapir, but still, not human.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I love that the world has talking animal-human-hybrids and that it's just a thing.

Although it makes me think that it was some early idea by the writers that they decided not to develop further.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 7, 2015

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

I would love to have the battle system significantly changed-- or at least the godawful equipment system. I basically can't play this game, despite how charming it is, or FFTA because that system where you have to equip outdated gear to get skills just kills me.

I think it's better in this game, because FFTA has the extra dimension where exp (gained by hitting things) levels you up, and your stat gains when you level up are determined by your job, which is unlocked with AP (gained at the end of battles). So for optimal stats you want to only level up in certain jobs, which means having that character sitting in the back not doing anything except wearing various gear for its abilities (until the right job unlocks).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I love that the world has talking animal-human-hybrids and that it's just a thing.

Although it makes me think that it was some early idea by the writers that they decided not to develop further.

Its really great that way but I dont think it was going to be anything really, a lot of other things have 'abnormal' things for no real plot reason.

I think it's nice and helps give the world certain uniqueness.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Basically you get titles for your card rank score, which is, at best:

10 points for each unique card (goblin, bomb, etc.)
+5 if that card also has a unique arrow arrangement
+2 if its attack type is A

There are other variations to this which amount to fewer points per card, like you can get points for the inferior attack type X, or for duplicate cards with unique arrows. However, there are 100 unique cards and you can hold a max of 100 cards, so the idea is that you want one of each card, with a unique arrow arrangement, and all of them with attack type A. This gives you 17 points per card times 100 cards for a potential max of 1700 total points.

At various point totals you get titles shown on the card screen. For example, 0 to 299 is Beginner, 300 to 399 is Novice, and so on. Someone who adopts a reasonable compromise goal of going for all 100 unique cards but giving zero shits about arrows or attack types will have somewhere over 1000 points (because they'll accidentally get a number of unique arrows and good attack types in the process).

The title for 1690 to 1697 is Pro.
The title for 1698 to 1699 is Master.
The title for a perfect 1700 is Would you like to discard this card? (This is the same text shown if you actually try to discard a card.)

While you could construe that as a joke about how someone getting there has clearly spent too much time playing the game, it's more clearly a case of the programmers not properly testing their boundary conditions, resulting in a glitched string lookup for the text to display for the perfect score.

Handily, almost nobody is crazy enough to go for such a thing legitimately, so it's generally only seen by people who use a GameShark or equivalent to give themselves a 1700-point set of cards.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2015

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I love everything about this game, and the only thing they could improve about it would be the loading times on battles. it never bothers me when I play, but it's something that could definitely be decreased. they could up the graphics, but honestly I think they're perfect the way they are.

looking forward to the rest of the LP

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

I like to think it's just them saying "you know, people play games sometimes, so let's give this world a game". I like that there's nothing of any real importance tied to it. it's just some card game people play with no extra point. like MtG or something

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I always kept the stock name, except for Vivvi. I always renamed him Whisper. It just felt right to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Emy posted:

I think it's better in this game, because FFTA has the extra dimension where exp (gained by hitting things) levels you up, and your stat gains when you level up are determined by your job, which is unlocked with AP (gained at the end of battles). So for optimal stats you want to only level up in certain jobs, which means having that character sitting in the back not doing anything except wearing various gear for its abilities (until the right job unlocks).

Unfortunately this game kind of has the same problems because (surprise!) your stat gains at level up are partially determined by the stat boosts from equipment you're wearing at the time.

It's not a big enough difference to really matter, but it drives completionists insane.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Unfortunately this game kind of has the same problems because (surprise!) your stat gains at level up are partially determined by the stat boosts from equipment you're wearing at the time.

It's not a big enough difference to really matter, but it drives completionists insane.

gently caress me, I would have been so much happier not knowing that.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Fister Roboto posted:

I did not know that and am glad I did not. I probably would have tried to micromanage it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pureauthor posted:

... Why?

I suspect they figured Triple Triad was a little too tied to high-end goodies and went too hard in the opposite direction.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

In the interest of not spoiling literally everything ever, I won't post a link (you can search using words contained in this post), but there is a beautiful document of aspergian insanity called The No Spoiler II Perfect Game Guide (these are those words!). I just want to quote the relevant excerpt:

code:
Stats actually pose the biggest problem in this perfect game challenge, since
 in order to obtain perfect stats, you must start working on them from Lv 1.
 Furthermore, you can only work on them after getting the [spoilers don't work in code!] as you
 are not only limited by the Lv at which you begin, but also by the available
 selection of equipment. Simply put, you do not have access to all of the
 necessary equipment until after you get the [badonkadonk], and if it is
 available, then you either don't have the time to actually get it or to level
 up with it to a meaningful degree. What does this mean for you? It means that
 you will be playing the whole game at Lv 1!
It's a small but significant glimpse into how completely bonkers that guide is were you to actually follow it all the way. I know a low-level game is...doable within limits, but there is that, and there is the spoilered part in addition to that.

I posted a "99 Rosetta Stones by playing cards and extensive RNG manipulation, it will literally take 17 hours" guide in the FF8 LP, these things amuse me; rest assured, the FF9 thing is far, far, far worse.

This is what worrying about tiny stat increases on level up leads to, so

don't

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only real piece of advice you need is to never EVER sell any equipment.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I posted a "99 Rosetta Stones by playing cards and extensive RNG manipulation, it will literally take 17 hours" guide in the FF8 LP, these things amuse me; rest assured, the FF9 thing is far, far, far worse.

You're gonna do that for this game, too? I can't wait! :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only real piece of advice you need is to never EVER sell any equipment.

And buy more than one, because of game mechanics.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

You're gonna do that for this game, too? I can't wait! :allears:
I could have sworn someone (probably Orange Fluffy Sheep) did a Level 1 challenge run in the last LP thread, but it didn't seem to get archived on a casual glance. So I can't tell you to just consult that for the casual manic obsessiveness :v:.

Sure, then, I can try to remember which normally completely mundane parts of this game require insane work-arounds to keep the party at the lowest level possible and post excerpts, why not?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Today, let's start things off with another FMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZt57TD4Ek

Vivi and Puck manage to sneak it to the noble seats. Good for them!

OH CHRIST

Anyway, this is the same girl who was off dreaming about sea storms the first update.

And this is some random guy.

Anyway, the play is starting and everyone is happy.

Well, almost everyone.

APPLAUSE

Tonight's performance is a story that takes place long, long ago. Our heroine, Princess Cornelia, is torn from her lover, Marcus. She attempts to flee the castle, only to be captured by her father, King Leo. When our story begins, Marcus, having heard of this, crosses swords with the king. And now, Your Royal Majesty, Queen Brahne, Your Highness, Princess Garnet...

Marcus! Thou hast lost even thy love!
Fortune hath escap'd thee! For what end shalt thou live?

For the sake of our friend... Let us bury our steel in the heart of the wretched King Leo!

Pray, sheathe thy swords! This villain is mine alone!
Nay, kinsman! For I, too, have lost a brother to this fiend!
What ho? Out, vermin! Away! Thou darest bare thy sword before the king!? All who stand in my way will be crush'd!
Treacherous Leo, my kinsman's suffering shall not be in vain!

And so we get into a pretty sweet battle. So sweet I made a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqz6e2jVOY

There's two guys that go down in a hit each.

This is no ordinary battle. This is a play battle.

So everyone can cast "spells" that do nothing but be fanciful.

If you want to be efficient, you stick to physical attacks to bring the guy down to advance the plot.

If you want to put on a show for a bunch of virtual people that don't actually exist, you mix in some SFX spells to make it look awesome.

I think we know what the correct option is.

King Leo mixes in some physical attacks, but again, this battle is for show. You have to try to lose.

And so our noble heroes soundly defeat the evil king. Or alternatively, the Tantalus crew beat up their boss while he wears a king costume.

Come back!

:siren: :siren:

Consider this, Zidane! If Prince Schneider were to marry Princess Cornelia, peace would reign over both their kingdoms!
Tis foolishness! If all were so easy, why, none would suffer in this world!

You can't spell "words" without "sword" so

So we get to our next minigame, and it's a fun if not frustrating one.

Blank tells you one of eight buttons to press, and you press it.

Each does a certain move. The face buttons have you do attacks while the directional buttons let you move or dodge. Of course, it depends entirely what Blank says.

After 49 or so prompts, the battle finishes.

You get one free noble, and you get one noble for scoring all 49 correct. For the other 98, you get one for getting the prompt right, and one for getting the right prompt quickly enough.

We can impress Queen Brahne but neither we nor the game itself cares what she thinks.

If you want, you can retry. And it's not a bad idea, because you can actually get some nice rewards for doing well. In particular, getting all 100 gets you a massive 10k Gil, which is a ton for so early in the game, and a Moonstone, which is handy for reasons.

Honestly, I don't know if you get the 10k gil if you get them all the first time or if you'll still get the gil in future attempts. I just reloaded a save state any time in case of the former. I did rely a lot on that horrible guide when I first played the game...

Unfortunately, the highest I can get legit is 96, which I got several times. Might have something to do with input lag maybe? Or maybe I just suck.

Anyway, here's a video of me getting 96 if you want to watch a nice spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmrMwF3Qbg

Eventually I cranked the FPS down to 10 and cheated my way to victory because as a Let's Player I'm allowed by law to cheat in my LPs.

Worth it for that money.

Yeah, but this helmet...

What are you talkin' about!? My helmet totally reeks!

You still have the package, right?

Alright! First, I'll go pour some sleep potion into Princess Garnet's teacup!
And I've got a special something for the lovely queen!

Zidane and Blank have managed to sneak into Alexandria Castle. Now to abduct the princess. Hey, at least we're the ones doing the kidnapping for once.

...the royal seats should be right above these stairs!
Got it!
Uh-oh! The scene where Marcus sneaks into Cornelia's chamber is about to start! Let's get this over with before the finale, okay?

Now to carry out our mission.

Step one: Ogle some half-naked guards.

Step two: Ogle some more half-naked guards.

No, ma'am! Nothing to report!
Very well. Continue your patrol.
Yes, ma'am! At once, ma'am!

Step three: Do our job.

...Step two and a half: Ogle a pretty white mage.

Umm... Would you please let me pass?

Oh yeah, one of Zidane's big character traits is that he's sixteen and of course obsessed with women. This white mage is a woman, so of course he's gonna stare at her face like a creepy goon.

Let's see...

Oh, no. You see...

Excuse me? You were waiting for me?
Yeah! I've dreamt of meeting you here ever since I was born!
Do you mock me?
No, of course not!...
Then, I shall take my leave of you!

Haven't we met before?
No, I do not know you...

I...

Are you serious!?

It seems Princess Garnet spends part of her free time cosplaying as a White Mage. Better than a Berserker in this case.

Meanwhile...

This is terrible!
Our heads, Queen Brahne will have!

Meet Zorn and Thorn. Zorn's blue, Thorn's red. Zorn speaks normally, Thorn abnormally he speaks.

I know it is not the right way!
Really, do you?
I really do!
Wonder, I sometimes do.
N-Now is not the time to wonder!

N-Not the right way, I know!
Do you really?
Know I really do!!!
I really wonder sometimes.
Th-The time to wonder, now is not!

See the queen, we must!

An emergency, it is!
A veritable emergency of terrible urgency!
Very well. I'll see what I can do.

So, what exactly is the problem?
Her Royal Highness...
Princess Garnet...

I see. Wait right there.

This is Queen Brahne. She is a reference to the FF4 airship The Big Whale.

Your Majesty, I'm afraid Princess Garnet has-
Ah, yes... She did leave her seat awhile ago.

Well, of all the... What could she be thinking!?

So, that goofy, easily-frustrated knight?

He's another main character. And he's one of the best characters in a game full of awesome characters.

Go find Garnet!

Captain Adelbert Steiner is one of the few male guards of Alexandria. In fact, he's captain of the Knights of Pluto, which has a whole eight male members under him.

He's also a giant oaf and I love him for it.

Huh? Where is everybody!?

What are you talking about!? There's only two of you!

I bring orders from the queen!

Next time, Steiner goes on the offensive as we finish up the introductory section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, OFS did a level 1 run for the game. I've done a few level 1 runs, but only because if I play the game normally it just simply doesn't challenge me anymore. I NEED to do stupid poo poo like level 1 and Excalibur II runs in order to make things in the game pose as obstacles to overcome.

• Locked thread