Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steiner is unique in that when you name him, you're naming his last name, not his first. Which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
EDIT: Update on the last page!

Well, then!

code:
 It should go without saying that if you're going for a perfect save, you'll
 need to perfect the individual runs that get you there.

Play and read each section once or twice before attempting it seriously; you
 need to acquaint yourself with treasure locations, shop lists, menu
 operations and the overall route through each area. Read a circuit or two
 ahead so that you have an idea of what you will be preparing for and what is
 waiting for you.
Remember this, boys and girls!

You should have figured out by now that this particular guide is for beating the game as quickly as possible as well as staying at Level 1 the whole time. This means poo poo like this:

code:
     .====================.                                          ____
  .--| BATTLE: MASKED MAN |-----------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '===================='                                          ŻŻŻŻ   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • Have everyone Steal once; reset if you don't get the Mage Masher.     |
  | • Its rarity is 16/256, so it shouldn't take too many attempts to get   |
  |   it within the first round.                                            |
  | • Once you get the Mage Masher, simply have everyone attack themselves  |
  |   to end the battle; you won't get a Game Over.                         |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
For the very first battle in the game is just par for the course.

The Jump Rope Minigame is serious business in a Perfect Game Oh My run, and there are some options for it which I really don't get related to a high score board on it which only really shows up in a Mognet letter which is completely optional and may not even be viewable at the end of the game or something? I am not even going to comprehend the loops of logic required to justify doing that, but even under the serious time constraint this run puts you under, the guide's writer allows you to get 1000 jumps three times "if you want to", of course once is mandatory, this will take 8 minutes.

Impressing the nobles...

code:
  | * Here are some tips:                                                   |
  |     1. Turn of the volume on your TV.                                   |
Nope sorry I'm done

code:
 o Breathe a sigh of relief once you're done; this can be one of the hardest
   parts of this challenge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh man, I eagerly await more of these. Your rant about that FF8 guide was great.

And obviously I'm not going for the super secret item you get for beating the game under 12 hours because that's a bit of a pain under normal circumstances, especially since I'm not doing FMV-skipping shenanigans.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Why would anyone ever want to turn off Vamo Alla Flamenco? That's the greatest sin of that guide so far.

I shudder to imagine how many retries even the first battle may take with it if you're plain unlucky. It seems like a great way to suck all the enjoyment out of the game, and there is so much enjoyment to be had here that it's just sad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I believe the super secret item is literally impossible to get in the PAL version because the game runs (even) slower.

So, FFIX. I do like a lot of things about this game, but it's never been one of my favorites simply due to how slow everything is (again, playing the PAL version doesn't help) and how frequent the random encounters are. I got to the final disc back in the day but was underleveled for a boss fight or something and couldn't progress, so I gave up and never made it that far again. I don't think I've ever seen the game's ending.

Most of the characters are excellent, as is the soundtrack. I absolutely love Zorn and Thorn's theme.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doc Morbid posted:

I believe the super secret item is literally impossible to get in the PAL version because the game runs (even) slower.

IIRC, it's just barely possible with FMV-skipping. Otherwise, you're correct.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I urge everyone to click all the tindeck links in every update. The music in FFIX is gorgeous and helps set every scene.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There are two many great things in this update to comment on all of them :argh:

The opening continues to be delightful, Vamo Alla Flamenco is one of the best tracks of any game and that swordfight is ace (I loved it so much I'd keep playing sometimes even if I got 100 nobles early), Steiner is hilariously crusty, Brahne is some fantastic character design and Zorn/Thorn make for great batshit side characters.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Big Whale thing actually made me laugh out loud, and I don't do that often.

Mega64 posted:

He's another main character. And he's one of the best characters in a game full of awesome characters.

Excuse me? He's just ONE OF the best? Not THE VERY BEST?

UNFOLLOW

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

This game is full of great little things, but the best little thing is the CLANK CLANK CLANK noise Steiner makes when running around.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I could have sworn someone (probably Orange Fluffy Sheep) did a Level 1 challenge run in the last LP thread, but it didn't seem to get archived on a casual glance. So I can't tell you to just consult that for the casual manic obsessiveness :v:.

Sure, then, I can try to remember which normally completely mundane parts of this game require insane work-arounds to keep the party at the lowest level possible and post excerpts, why not?

Er, no. I didn't mean a Level 1 run...

Simply Simon posted:

Well, then!

code:
 It should go without saying that if you're going for a perfect save, you'll
 need to perfect the individual runs that get you there.

Play and read each section once or twice before attempting it seriously; you
 need to acquaint yourself with treasure locations, shop lists, menu
 operations and the overall route through each area. Read a circuit or two
 ahead so that you have an idea of what you will be preparing for and what is
 waiting for you.
Remember this, boys and girls!

You should have figured out by now that this particular guide is for beating the game as quickly as possible as well as staying at Level 1 the whole time. This means poo poo like this:

code:
     .====================.                                          ____
  .--| BATTLE: MASKED MAN |-----------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '===================='                                          ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • Have everyone Steal once; reset if you don't get the Mage Masher.     |
  | • Its rarity is 16/256, so it shouldn't take too many attempts to get   |
  |   it within the first round.                                            |
  | • Once you get the Mage Masher, simply have everyone attack themselves  |
  |   to end the battle; you won't get a Game Over.                         |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
For the very first battle in the game is just par for the course.

The Jump Rope Minigame is serious business in a Perfect Game Oh My run, and there are some options for it which I really don't get related to a high score board on it which only really shows up in a Mognet letter which is completely optional and may not even be viewable at the end of the game or something? I am not even going to comprehend the loops of logic required to justify doing that, but even under the serious time constraint this run puts you under, the guide's writer allows you to get 1000 jumps three times "if you want to", of course once is mandatory, this will take 8 minutes.

Impressing the nobles...

code:
  | * Here are some tips:                                                   |
  |     1. Turn of the volume on your TV.                                   |
Nope sorry I'm done

code:
 o Breathe a sigh of relief once you're done; this can be one of the hardest
   parts of this challenge.

THIS. This is what I meant. I love your posting and mocking of these. :allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Glad that it resonates!

Just to be perfectly fair, then, if I am going to turn this into a feature: Credit goes to Atomos199 for writing this insane piece (ABSOLUTE SUPER SPOILERS) of course!

It is, like many video game achievements, certainly impressive, but I do think eminently mockable. If you still like doing challenge runs, then more power to you; depending on your personal level of frustration tolerance and/or craving, I am convinced that doing any kind of self-imposed nonsense is just pure clean fun for you, and that's cool, fun is cool. BUT if you think that doing something of this level is anything but borderline-to-crossing madness, you lack some serious self-awareness, and that is, even in the context of a goddamn Final Fantasy LP on the SA forums, well deserving of ridicule.

code:
 | is called the *HONK    HONK* Perfect Game. Your perfect save will include |
 | the AIR HORN     and you won't forfeit anything in order to get it. You   |
 | will miss nothing, you will obtain everything. Those are the conditions   |
 | and they are well within reach. Obsessive-compulsive and anal-retentive   |
 | qualities will prove advantageous.                                        |
 '---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It reminds me of that one video Retsupurae did of the guy trying to do a no deaths on file run of IWBTG, which was literally like a normal run, except every time he died, he took extra time to quit the game and reload the save in order to lie to people.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I love that sword fight, but I've never been able to get 100 on it. The timing requirement must be pretty tight, and my reflexes just aren't good enough for it (and I've dodged 200 lightning bolts in FFX a couple times).

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

A lot of stuff in this game, like the card game, the jump rope, etc., are very.... what's the word... Drakengardian. They're enormous pains in the rear end, they have no tangible benefit at all besides a twisted sense of pride, and they were pretty clearly included purely to punish players with OCD. But that's ok because there's no downside to skipping them, and indeed skipping them should make you feel better about yourself for not being a lunatic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Glad that it resonates!

Just to be perfectly fair, then, if I am going to turn this into a feature: Credit goes to Atomos199 for writing this insane piece (ABSOLUTE SUPER SPOILERS) of course!

It is, like many video game achievements, certainly impressive, but I do think eminently mockable. If you still like doing challenge runs, then more power to you; depending on your personal level of frustration tolerance and/or craving, I am convinced that doing any kind of self-imposed nonsense is just pure clean fun for you, and that's cool, fun is cool. BUT if you think that doing something of this level is anything but borderline-to-crossing madness, you lack some serious self-awareness, and that is, even in the context of a goddamn Final Fantasy LP on the SA forums, well deserving of ridicule.
honestly these posts are super unpleasant for me to read. admittedly part of that might be you kicking things off with a sick 2007-esque burn on people with disabilities, but either way this isn't really that funny to me, and seeing you work yourself into pretzels about how you totally aren't being a dick is p. hosed up.

just own up to the fact that you're insulting some guy for the sake of it.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh Steiner, you big goofball. :)

And lucky you, I tried for an hour to get that 100 nobles, only got to 90 once. The timing on that is so tight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Steiner's nice but he only becomes one of the best characters once his development reaches a certain point and it takes a long time for that to happen. Until then I didn't find his oafish clanky-ness endearing enough to offset the rest of what he does.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Someone somewhere once told me the technical name for the pattern in which Zorn and Thorn speak and I am trying to remember it and I cant and it is driving me mad--

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Big Whale thing actually made me laugh out loud, and I don't do that often.

Same here. :hfive:

...I can't believe that I didn't see the potential for that joke before.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fedule posted:

Someone somewhere once told me the technical name for the pattern in which Zorn and Thorn speak and I am trying to remember it and I cant and it is driving me mad--

It's called Fronting. Zorn speaks with modern (at the time of production) english while Thorn uses fronting to speak olde-timey english. Yoda does the same thing, although Thorn is way more consistent in it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fedule posted:

FF Wiki posted:

In the game's English translation, Zorn and Thorn speak in an antimetabole speech pattern using the same words to reply to each other but in active and passive form.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the game's English translation, in an antimetabole speech pattern using the same words to reply to each other but in active and passive form, Zorn and Thorn speak!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one actual benefit to having the PAL version is that it makes getting 100 Nobles really easy thanks to the time delay. :v:

Also, I know it's not a common pick at all but Jesters of the Moon is my favourite track in the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really didn't like the nobles swordsfight thing. Mostly because I'm terrible at it. I couldn't ever get a big reward out of it. I might honestly just cheat the same way next time I play because holy poo poo I didn't know you got that much gil out of it. That's amazing.

Also, Vamo' Alla Flamenco reminded me of that time we got Nobuo Uematsu and Arnie Roth in this third world hellhole I call home. It was the best day ever. It's still making me happy now, two years later. I love Final Fantasy's music, and that fully includes this game's music. And so, I thought I might as well link to Distant World Buenos Aires' Vamo' Alla Flamenco, but it does contain spoilers for the game and I'm not sure if I should or not. Please do tell me, I want to share the music love whenever possible but I don't want to annoy anyone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Is it the actual song/description that has spoilers or the related videos? If the latter, you can use Polsy's site to filter those out. http://polsy.org.uk

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Is it the actual song/description that has spoilers or the related videos? If the latter, you can use Polsy's site to filter those out. http://polsy.org.uk

It's the actual song. It's filmed from the Distant Worlds, and it showed some cutscenes from later on. I can wait until then to link it...if I remember. Oh well, I'll remember as long as the song links keep existing.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

The one actual benefit to having the PAL version is that it makes getting 100 Nobles really easy thanks to the time delay. :v:

Oh, that explains it! I've been wondering for years why people think it's so hard because it's never taken me more than two tries.

quote:

Also, I know it's not a common pick at all but Jesters of the Moon is my favourite track in the game.

It's impossible for me to pick a single favorite but Jesters is in the top 5 for sure.

I kind of missed The White Dragon's thread so it's nice to see the best Final Fantasy get another high quality LP, loving the effort with the Amano portraits and high-res images and all. I never truly appreciated how loving terrifying Cinna looks. :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

For me it's either that or Rose of May. Both are fantastic tracks.

edit: screw all y'all, now I want to start another playthrough which I'll inevitably abandon a few hours in.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's the actual song. It's filmed from the Distant Worlds, and it showed some cutscenes from later on. I can wait until then to link it...if I remember. Oh well, I'll remember as long as the song links keep existing.

Is audio-only an option?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like You Are Not Alone, especially the Tour de Japon version.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hate you all for reminding me that every choice I make for the best song is wrong, even all the choices are right.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I like You Are Not Alone, especially the Tour de Japon version.

Yeah, this has got to be my pick, or Dark Messenger I guess.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Welp, you know your chainmail hobby is getting out of hand when you feel the need to comment on it for a Final Fantasy game, but....

Seriously, look at his upper arm there. Those rings are frigging massive! Especially compared to his coif, which is more normal-sized.

Also, regarding the soundtrack...

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hate you all for reminding me that every choice I make for the best song is wrong, even all the choices are right.

This, basically. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

I could have sworn someone (probably Orange Fluffy Sheep) did a Level 1 challenge run in the last LP thread, but it didn't seem to get archived on a casual glance.

I'm doing it again fyi. Or at least trying.

If Mega64 is okay with me posting about a dumb challenge run in one of his FF threads again, anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If Mega64 is okay with me posting about a dumb challenge run in one of his FF threads again, anyway.

I'd definitely be fine with it! Hell, my FFV thread evolved into a challenge megathread so I've got no qualms about other runs alongside mine. Still need to update that one soonish, actually.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

:allears:

Please, help me improve my methods OFS.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Man, I remember having played this game in a store back in 2002 or something, and if I remember correctly I bought it for a friend of mine who actually owned a PSX so that I could then convince him to lend me both the game and the console so I could finish it, the self-serving little poo poo that I was.

All statements on the charm and vivacity of the game's world are seconded, and I hope that you have fun exploring the world, as I will have fun reading about it (and maybe taking another go at it myself, having bought it for reals in 2011).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I love sperging about mechanics so I'll probably chime in from time to time as well, though I can't be bothered to make a run. :v:

Anyway, the Moonstone is considered a missable, since there are only so many Moonstones you can get during the game.

That said, I always got the Silk Shirt (which is the next best reward), because early armour plus it lets Vivi get a headstart on learning Thunder.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

I love sperging about mechanics so I'll probably chime in from time to time as well, though I can't be bothered to make a run. :v:

Anyway, the Moonstone is considered a missable, since there are only so many Moonstones you can get during the game.

That said, I always got the Silk Shirt (which is the next best reward), because early armour plus it lets Vivi get a headstart on learning Thunder.

I'm pretty sure I remember there being at least one other Silk Shirt before Vivi becomes equip-able.

But then I'm a crazy person who "loses" contests and grinds gil to spend at auctions in the name of getting accessories early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So, I love FFIX, your other LPs, and TWD's LP of this, and I'm going to follow this regardless, but I'm curious what you're planning to do to present a fresh take on the game. Mostly out of curiosity as I'll read it regardless.

• Locked thread