Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oh hey, its the best Final Fantasy.

Ok, ok, you might disagree, but it's easily the best PSX FF game.

You better become Jump Rope King, Mega64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

You better become Jump Rope King, Mega64.

quote:

The other catch is the only rewards are cards and a key item to prove to your friends and family that you actually wasted time playing this minigame. You get this by jumping one thousand times without failing.

I'll pass.

You're dead to me.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, Steiner is kinda great. I even like his dopey theme song.

Say, there are a ton of people reminiscing about the best FF in this thread, but how many of you never played it and are experiencing it for the first time through this thread?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Iretep posted:

Don't think the game ever really tells Steiners background but just in case I'm spoilering it: According to the wiki he got his position by beating Beatrix in a duel and won through dumb luck. As a prize he became the captain of the knights of pluto.

Brony Hunter posted:

I don't think that ever comes up in the game.

I certainly don't ever remember seeing anything about that in the game. Might be from one of the dead tree encyclopedias they released. I'd love to hear more.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I dont mind the low hp, it was kinda refreshing after the past two games being all about crazy multipe 9999 hit summons and limit breaks.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

grandalt posted:

Ah, yes. This is one of the best sequences in the game. You see the characters and how they are in just a few moments near perfectly.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This FMV sequence is my favorite in the series. The music, the cinematography, and the action are just amazing.

Right? And its not even the end of a disk!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I haven't actually played this game, but with the description for the master hunter mentioning the sky, does it change depending on the winner? What are the descriptions for the other winners?

Nah, that's a quote from the previous winner of the Festival. It's always the same, it just seems to fit for Freya since the last winner was also a dragoon.

Edit: wait poo poo, don't quote me on that, I think I got my facts mixed up on who the last winner was.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh hey, it's Dr. Cot.

... It's Tot.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

There ain't no getting offa this train boat.

Anywho, I got the PC version and am gonna catch up to the LP slowly. Lemme know if there's something that managed to slip by the already exhaustive efforts of several other people in this thread to show you everything that you might wanna see. Except Hippaul's hidden treasure trove of three trading carts, that ship already sailed. Plus it was covered by Mega already.

Yup, it was. Also I didn't find the kid's missing cat.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp indeed.

If I remember correctly, the "right" path to take in that get-the-survivors-to-safety bit is to just take the most roundabout path, sweeping the whole area. Standard RPG rules, visit every possible place before plot progression.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, so I've been catching up with the LP and I was just wrapping up the Blue Magic gathering when Quina finally got White Wind from a Zuu, but only after it had already eaten one of the other party members, thus making the nastiest turduken in existence. I guess it'd be a Quzuurat? I'm not sure how to feel about it, aside from disturbed. You guys are right, FF9 is super dark.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Her weapon is a bardiche, technically.

I believe you mean a Berdysh.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The only flaw in VII's blue magic is that you can't get every E. Skill on that last materia. I'm not perfect-level-one-collect-everything completionist, but that fourth E. Skill materia still kinda irked me.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, Vivi and the other Black Mages break my heart a little every time I play the game.

Bufuman posted:

Is it seriously possible to get all the ATEs in one go? I've never been able to manage it, since it seems to just allow one ATE per area (WHY DO YOU DO THIS SQUARE) and there's not enough areas to see them all.

It sure is, they even made it an achievement in the Steam/Android version. Like Mega said, it sometimes takes a very VERY specific route and order through towns to get them all.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So if you look closely, you'll see the Hill Gigas fashioned himself a knuckle duster out of a ship's anchor. That's really cool.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Fools like you will never learn.

Wow, that looked rough.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I really like that scene with Mog for some reason. Every time that ribbon pans up into frame it makes me laugh.

http://i.imgur.com/lqAT4XA.gifv

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So you're not the King of Jumprope OR the Athlete Queen? Boo-urns!

(No really, been loving this LP)

Bufuman posted:

Speaking of Quina, I was wondering, does the special ATE you get for having less than 100 gil when you get hir back later count towards the Get All ATEs achievement?

Yes, yes it does. Good luck, Achievement Hunters!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So while we do have a fair bit of game left, I'd like to ask people a question.

Would you consider this game "dark?" Dark is one of those words thrown around a lot to describe a narrative and what I mean by it is "an overall bleak tone having to deal with a lot of very depressing subjects."

I'd say I agree with you for the most part. It deals with dark stuff, but the overall tone isn't bleak, it's cautiously optimistic.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good thing Dagger decided to wear her old adventuring outfit as jammies on the night of the attack.

Edit:

Mega64 posted:

Clearly Dagger's gonna cast Reflect and let Bahamut kill himself.

Reflect is single-target only! She needs Eiko's Carbuncle to protect the whole town.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I remember those whales pretty well. They give 3 AP each and die to a single Coral Sword attack from steiner when he has Zombieslayer or Birdslayer active. Great for catching up all the party members you regained.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I've always wondered, is Ark one of the failed battleships made before the current Invincible mentioned in the Oilvert holograms?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Don't come near me or my sweet lovable morons ever again.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I wonder what Taharka is supposed to be.

It actually looks a little like a Rust Monster from classic D&D with those bug antennae and the weird finned tail.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, despite having 91 wins, Steam only counts me as winning 23. Even when I win, I can't win.

Tetra Master! :argh:

That's because the chievo requires you to win against 100 different people, not just 100 matches.

GUESS YOU GOTTA RESET NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I said it before, but I really like how the damage was scaled down a little in FF9. After the previous two games with multi-hit summons and limit breaks the flashiness of multiple 9999's kinda lost it's impact.

• Locked thread