Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Steiner is sad because the princess didn't notice that he flourished his sword with perfect timing to start off the show. Even though that was somebody else's decision entirely, he still got the timing right.

Didn't you see that, princess? Didn't it make you smile?

Steiner, nobody is happy that you can do that, except for you. Deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fedule posted:

A thing that could've been cool is a mechanic that combines Trance and MP. It's what I'd use if I wound up having to remake FF9.

It'd be nifty. As you take damage (or other configurable circumstances a la FFX) the meter builds. You use the meter to cast spells and use abilities. If the meter fills up you can activate Trance like a limit break, or just use more expensive abilities. However, if you take damage with a full meter then Trance is activated for you.

As a bonus this would be entirely in keeping with the observations made in-game about Trance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is, I see what they were going for but there would have been much better ways to do it.

Wild Arms 2 says hi.

Anyway, I really like how this game uses its stage aesthetic to good comedic effect.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, boss sent Blank after us. Looks like he needed to come, too.

Zidane's reaction... makes me wonder how many members of Tantalus have gone on missions and not come back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is some ridiculous damage from Trance. It feels like that's supposed to be the actual introduction - you're getting dogpiled and stomped, but suddenly you turn the entire fight around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

I name her Kris.

Yeah, that's pretty good.

Also:

AweStriker posted:

Not to mention Stiltzkin is in it, too. Vivi met him earlier this LP, here's his appearance in Crystal Chronicles:

Oh my god he's so fluffy. Somehow moogles manage to look cute in a lot of different art styles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Zidane is probably getting protective of Vivi because the kid's only eight and eight-year-olds shouldn't get kidnapped. ...or doubt their nature as a conscious independent being.

They really sold how corrupt this place was.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Zidane striking out with the ladies was a pretty wonderful part of that sequence. Hey, you miss 100% of the pitches you never swing at, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: when you're running him around town, Zidane will turn his head to ogle any pretty girls he passes by. The best example is the redhead who wanders around in the shopping square, you'll see a lot of her if you do the cotton robe trick often.

I have to say, it made my day to find this out. The nature of Monkey is irrepressible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that scene with Lowell added absolutely nothing but was some amazing comedy. And it's like, this is it. Everybody in Lindblum has a story and here's a tiny part of one.

Also, the kids running freely in and out of the Tantalus base adds some credence to the whole "state-sponsored lovable rogues" theory.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, this entire sequence is very good at making everybody feel kind of powerless and lost, which is really something to accomplish since they're largely safe in a giant techno-paradisical city.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those NPC descriptions are wonderful little bits of detail. Thank you for pointing them out!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And there goes Garnet, marching off to try and jam herself in the jaws of World War III. I can see why she doesn't want any Lindblumites getting involved in the whole affair.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I noticed nobody has mentioned the best third-person gender-neutral pronoun.

Thon eats frogs. Thon gets strong!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Your plan is to hope your equipment procs petrify?

I guess Level 1 runs get serious about now.

Do you get experience for anything Q eats? That would make it easier, if you didn't.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did Steiner just use a phrase from a play as a codeword? I wonder if that was his idea or Garnet's?

Either way, what a neat little interlude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, it is odd to see Stiltzkin here, of all places. A city under invasion is no place for a casual traveler to stop.

Unless he's trying to cover wars, you know?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something I kind of like here is that we are throwing down with Beatrix for absolutely no stakes, other than, like, personal satisfaction and maybe the life of a dude she was probably going to spare anyway. We arrived far, far too late to make a difference. All we can hope to do is hold on long enough to be worth sparing.

This makes Stock Break feel a lot less bullshit than a similar attack would be in other circumstances.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This reminds me. Is Alexandria looking for anyone besides Garnet? Do they know what the Tantalus troupe looks like?

I suppose they must not care all that much. Either that or Marcus and Cinna did some serious shenanigans at the base station.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that they don't restrict Dagger to just where she needs to go, so there's this wandering and exploration without the relevant people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AlphaKretin posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that. Now I remember that was a big reason I was sad the LP ended, since that would be something relatively unique to this one.

But enough about that. I like how the clowns say the party is "under arrest" like this is some formal, non-violent process and not a hostile capture.

Hey, how often does a 3-foot-tall 50-pound weakling get to arrest anybody? Let them have their moment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is kind of weird that Cleyra never cultivated any regional specialties despite being a mystic tree garden.

I suppose tasty food is an affront to kangaroo rat religion or whatever?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cleyra's just... coincidentally unprotected, huh? I mean, I kind of get that it's a bad omen, but in the event of a bad omen don't you want your mysterious forcefield to be locked in the "on" position rather than the "off" one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
She's already stolen everything that matters and massacred them with impunity. That Odin-dunk was just spiteful. Or cruel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Marcus, you are a goddamn trooper.

Also, I love how Steiner continues to play the straight man even in the absence of a joke.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really liked that little interlude with Ramuh and Zidane. This really feels like a game with multiple plot threads and "main characters", and Zidane has not had much of a "main character" stint in a while - he's just been tagging along on other people's stories, but he doesn't mind much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will say this for Lani: somehow she knew we were coming exactly this way and lay in wait. How the heck did she pull that off?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if it's the Scottish or not, but these dwarves feel very... provincial. Like a little town in the countryside without a care in the world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mr. 288. You can't be that old. How are you so wise?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine Zidane had a lot of time to think about the stakes of life and death when he was off on that doomed journey to find his home. But that's not really the sort of thing you can pass on just with words.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate your going through these stunt runs, it's interesting to see what kind of mechanics you can bust out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I am morbidly curious how that 1 defense hat is going to be key to some harebrained scheme.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that all-consuming war is "the refining process" Treeface talked about?

Also I wonder if that stuff actually makes people more aggressive or if just giving feudal civilizations airship technology increases their expanding-and-maiming radius.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Is this the first actual one-on-one fight in the game?

Other than, like, Zidane and Baku going at it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that they're taking time to catch these characters up with each other back in Alexandria. Seeing the whole cast bounce off each other is pretty great, even Baku and Beatrix and Doctor Tot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure why Kuja's supposedly deviating from your plan, Garland. Pretty sure that without Alexander, Alexandria is goddamn toast.

I mean, unless you actually handed him a "Destroy The World" script. Which... no, no, you totally look like the kind of guy who has a "Destroy The World" script.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is nice that the cities go through this progression as you go through the game. Really makes it feel like events are actually affecting the whole world, you know?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Quina's momentary existential meltdown at the idea of a talking frog.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You do still have to get the AP to lock all these active abilities in, though I wasn't keeping track of slots, precisely. How much of this turbo-rare gear doubles up on slots?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. Hippaul's growing up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Four sacrifices. Four crystals. But the sacrifices were the problem in the first place?

Dammit, Zidane, can you be a little curious now?

• Locked thread