Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray it is my favourite Final Fantasy game. I think it's probably because it just oozes character from everywhere. There's some with battle systems I prefer, but this just blows the rest of them away in every other category for me. It was my first Final Fantasy game and there's definitely a big chunk of nostalgia there, so I can't exactly be objective about that though. Also the music rules and most of it is burnt right into my head.

Namechat I definitely have a name I always have to give her now but it's a spoiler. The scene makes no sense if you call her anything else

Also poke the barrel.

Kemix posted:

That save Moogle is my favorite save moogle in the game. I was honestly shocked when I saw that "YOU BASTARDS" line as a kid...then again I hadn't started watching south park for the first time around then either. :allears:

IX has the best Moogles. It's the character thing again. All other games have inferior Moogles. Apart from VI and Mog and his gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh no, I didn't explain myself properly! All Moogles are great to me, it's just the IX ones are my favourites.

also bats are cute

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Black Waltz 3 has such a great design, I love it.

But he made Vivi sad, so it is good that he got blown up and slammed in a door.

Also drat that "chest" on the airship. You spend the whole conversation looking at it and thinking "oh boy oh boy, what's in that chest" and then it isn't one. It's a wonderful trick.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh wow, I always knew Lindblum was big and huge but you still managed to find a bunch of things I didn't know about. NPCs mostly.

I never knew the Viltgance got referenced anywhere in the game, I thought it was just some random airship to make up the card amount to 100. And it also appears in that cutscene where you enter Lindblum. Oh, this game is just packed full of detail.

Also it took me until here my first playthrough to realize that different weapons had different models in battle. Because Zidane suddenly had a big gently caress-off sword.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, stealing from bosses can get kind of tedious. There's a certain jolly green fellow later on that I always remember as king of annoying steals.

For me boss battles so often end up me doing nothing but Steal and Focus until I get the thing, and then Vivi drops Quad Nines on everything. You can steal some really nice things and get stuff pretty early on at times, but it can get pretty frustrating.

KataraniSword posted:

I think there's a very brief window you can get it in Disk 1. Or was that the start of Disk 2? Either way. I think you can actually go back to the building in question after the requisite plot happens but before you leave the town. You do kind of have to be loaded with cash, but that's what all those Wrists are for. :v:

I don't think that place sells them until disc 3 though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like how many different things can happen here. Usually when you hit the obligatory tournament in a JRPG, it's either main character has to win, or main character gets to final and then mysterious person beats them. But here you get four different ones and if you know what you're doing you can game it.

I know my first playthrough Freya won because I had no idea about Big Z, but since then I always like to let Zidane win, since he's the main character. Yeah, after complaining about that being the usual outcome in that sort of event in an RPG. It's nice to have the choice though, and at least you have to do it well if that's what you want.

I think I rigged it so Vivi won once. Can't remember exactly how though. I think it's mess about, go to Zaghnol near the end when Vivi is in the lead, lose the fight probably.

Also the music rules, but it's Final Fantasy IX, that's a given. It is particularly good though. And the Breeder is a wonderful rear end in a top hat. Game is packed full of likable minor characters.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I just remembered we've met the Strange Gourmand already.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quina is just great. Also Quina's theme is great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Chocobo Hot and Cold is brilliant. It's fun, gives you a ton of great treasure, and Choco is the best Chocobo.

KataraniSword posted:

The more important thing is that upgrading your chocobo tends to get you to places a fair bit earlier than you would otherwise, too. Nothing sequence breaky, but still worth noting.

Apparently in some earlier copies there's a ridiculously sequence-breaky thing that can happen. Breaks a bunch of events too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's clearly a reference to Penance in FFX. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My favourite weapon of Joachim's is that little office building, complete with tiny workers. And I really liked how every single item in that series had its own backstory and everything and it would go into the details of how it was made and all sorts. The later consumables got completely mad.

Also wow, that guide is crazy. Any reason why it suggests 100 points or is that just because it's a nice round number? You'd think it'd be whatever the absolute maximum would be.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that makes sense I guess.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Chocobo stuff in this game is just great. And if we're sharing concept art, I found this picture a while back of a "chocobo copter" that was apparently going to be in this game.

Also it's funny that it takes ages for Vivi to get more weapons, and then it just starts throwing them at you. But then on a less funny side you end up having to juggle them until you learn all the spells.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Getting Bio this early is just really fun. With a quick Blizzara detour.

Also Mystery Sword is great. Something I really like is how it's got lots of quieter bits where the ability sparkly sounds end up standing out and that's always just stuck with me.

And I just realised now that I'd never seen Limit Glove's animation before.

Kuja's pretty great, but I don't think his introduction here is particularly impressive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vivi just pointed to the roof and said "hey, is that a frog" and then held on for dear life.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dan made Vivi sad, so he can gently caress off. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, I missed the Black Mages. They are the bestest. :3:

Also Hilgigars rules.

And if I remember correctly, there's some sign in Conde Petie that records how many marriages they've had, and it is actually 99 until this bit, where it either gets to 100 or 101. I really like the little details like that in the game.

Also, gently caress, I think the opening bits of Madain Sari might be some of the worst to have to do repeatedly. Commiserations.

Oh, and Eiko ends up being quite an entertaining character I find. Which is good since she's the sort that could end up really annoying.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vivi's "my face always looks like this" never fails to make me laugh. And then a bit sad.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope he finds his car keys

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That Stroper is excellent. It looks so happy to be flipping everything off. I think if I had multiple arms I would too.

Also excellent: the track for the love letter scene. It's a tiny little scene but they made a great bit of music for it anyway and it ends up being really memorable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quina has the best ATEs. Fitting, I guess.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That whole sequence is great. And packed with great music again.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You basically have to go looking for those whales.

I wonder what Mr. Death is digging up there.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ark is cool. I just really dig the design. Armstrong too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Drakans are complete bastards. I quite like the puzzles in this bit, but the random encounters make it a huge pain to experiment. You get some very nice treasure too. Although the chocobo stuff probably outshines it.

Also I really like the designs on Valia Pira. I dunno what they are, but they're very fancy. And I love the goofy face at the bottom. And how drat weird it is. You can even put it to sleep I think.

I guess that's also part of why I like Kuja. He just has all these weird things.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mt. Gulug has a wonderful music track. I might have said this before but I really like how often you get a whole nice track for a one-time area or single scene. Sure, this one is from somewhere else, but it is great all the same. And oddly fitting for a volcano to me.

Also I like how weird Meltigemini is. And there's a thing with them and Virus and a later location I noticed on my last playthrough that (almost) works completely and I hope it was intentional because it's a cool little detail. Anyway, that'll have to wait until later.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I remain confused as to the timescale - Lindblum isn't exactly close to Alexandria, did Zidane just go 'hey guys I'm just gonna be gone for a day or two, later'? The fastest way to get there is via airship too, since there's no gargant route that leads directly there.

Maybe he went on Choco. I dunno what the explanation would be if you haven't been chocoboing though.

Also the music for the Hilda Garde 3 is very good. I like that the game gives you a preview of it as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I just realised the thing in Quan's Dwelling that turns into the big pie isn't the boat I always used to see. It's a giant frying pan.

And hooray, Gold Choco. I was really disappointing with the Gold Chocobo in VII, entirely because I assumed it flew like Choco does. Well, not like I ever got it legit on VII anyway.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The best town is coming up next...if I had to pick a videogame town to live in, it would be this one.

Ha, it's always been the town that looks the nicest to live in in this game to me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I never knew the Black Mage Village had different dialogue at this point. Probably got something to do with the fact that it is the most annoying place to get to with the airship. Only by a tiny bit, but that is enough I guess.

Also I love the Sargatanas. I beeline for Daguerro as soon as I get the airship, and that is part of the reason why. 100% accurate Petrify for like 8 MP? Yes please. Also what, it's two goat skulls tied to a stick or something? It rules. I like Daguerro for a lot of reasons, but mechanically, it's the goatstick that drags me there first. It took me far too long to put petrification and soul blade together in my head the first time.

Oh, and I only found out you can fight the friendly Yan a couple of days ago when I was looking up Vile Island. Apparently you can do it repeatedly until you give him a diamond and you get the 50AP and Rosetta Ring every time as well. And also he has superboss health and the strongest physical attack in the game or something.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

"Try something drastic" is a great videogames phrase.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I always make sure to have Quina Eat the Earth Guardian. It's tradition. As is dropping everyone off and then going frog catching.

From a story standpoint I actually think it works better with it just being Zidane and Quina fighting that you actually control. Like the idea is Zidane drops them off and they get the job done without help, which in this case also includes the player. And I just don't see this part working with four bosses in a row, it's supposed to be fighting them all at once and it would just end up feeling awkward I think. Could have done with showing a bit more of the other battles though. I like the picture of a bunch of Eidolons just ganging up on the Water Guardian and giving him such a beating he fell out of the game entirely.

Also this music is great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've always liked that Serpions count as much as any other dragon. I just imagine there was some guild of dragon slayers that went bust giving out welcome baskets because any bozo could just waltz in with a Serpion head and declare themselves a dragon slayer. Also all the other dragons being horrendous hellbeasts in comparison.

Actually, that's made me curious about something. Does anyone know if boss dragons count for Dragon's Crest?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like the little detail that Shimmering Island on the map goes all strobe lighty once you've done the mirrors. And Stiltzkin just world hopping like it's nothing.

Terra is cool and weird as anything in the series. I really like it. And the music is great, and the Genomes are pretty interesting.

Anyway, you can have my dumb theory about Meltigemini and Virus now. They're from Terra. I mean, this is the first story place where the encounters start throwing in Virus, Meltigemini looks all weird in the same vein as some of the Terra monsters (and also a bit Taharkaesque as well, now I think about it). It's some kind of horrible space virus. But you can still see Yans before now if you get Gold Choco. I still think it works though, they're so nasty that they could totally be Terrabeasts. Maybe the Yans were so mean somebody threw their whole island on to Gaia.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That last shot with Kuja and the Invincible always throws me off. Is the Invincible upside down? Is Kuja?

e: oh gently caress that took me way too long to realise. it's a friggin reflection, isn't it. I am stupid

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, this bit is great, no arguments from me.

Dungeon is a little annoying though. Nice treasure at least.

Also in IX Malboros can fly. :gonk:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quina is the best.

Shame the world(s) got wrecked though

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bobby Corwen is the third best chocobo name, behind actual Boco, and Choco.

Also with the Airship change, now if you fly right on top of the sea, it makes swooshy sounds.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love the design of Ark and the animation is excellent. And then it does half the damage an exploding box does and man summons are just disappointing in battle.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think you need Quina in your party to find the entrance to Fossil Roo, right?

Yep, huge pain in the rear end if you don't know why.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The dragon bit is excellent. The events are cool. The music is good. The boss is a little lackluster in terms of challenge, but he looks cool and the background is different.

Also in references, the Nova Dragon is everyone's pal Shinryu but I guess the localization didn't realize that. Tidal Wave always confused me until I read that somewhere. Probably the final fantasy wiki.

Memoria is an aesthetically wonderful dungeon and I will probably be saying that several times. I can never decide on a favourite screen because it's all good. Cool monsters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Memoria is just really great. I said that already probably. Every screen is something different, every (or at least most) screen has a unique battle stage. The monsters are cool too. I always appreciate a goofy jrpg chimera, and these ones rule. This series has good chimeras.

I like that Vivi gets his last spell right at the end if you do all the treasure hunting first. I always switch him to the High Mage Staff after he learns it though, I just really like the design and he's one of the characters who doesn't really need his strongest weapon to be optimal.

• Locked thread