Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Blank has two-toned skin and stitches. Is he a zombie or a flesh golem or what? How many people did he used to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I certainly don't ever remember seeing anything about that in the game. Might be from one of the dead tree encyclopedias they released. I'd love to hear more.

Square loves pulling this sort of poo poo, making up random, irreverent, but still interesting side-bits and they'll hide the information in art books or Ultimanias or whatever and then never really get around to translating them. That's how you end up on Gamefaqs trying to sift through rumors and 90% of the time they're bullshit ("you can get the Paladin Ring by fighting 255 fights with the cursed ring lol") and the real stuff sounds just as goofy (Sabin has a fear of squirrels because one kicked his rear end when he was a kid) except it's also badly translated because this was the 90's.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Near the end of FFIX I was playing it way way too late, especially on school nights. As a result, everything about the game past this point is entirely a blur. There is exactly one thing I can recall with any clarity, and that's Chocobo Hot & Cold. The music drilled it into my skull.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I always figured the Qu were distant frog relatives, what with the swamp dwelling, long tongues, and... indiscriminate eating habits.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What? What's going on with Tindeck?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not just that. I thought it was fairly interesting because I never noticed it before my last run of the game but I think Amarant talks more with Freya than anyone else in the party except maybe Zidane. They also hang out together at various points.

If Amarant can be said to have any connection to the party or rapport with any of the party members, it be with Freya.

It probably doesn't help that (from what I remember) Freya and Amarant are basically vestigial to the plot from here on out. Amarant gets, like, one more scene where he learns about ~teamwork~ and Freya's entire character arc was finished with "oh no my home is gone, on no my boyfriend has amnesia" and neither of them do anything of note ever again. All the other party members either have their own romance bs to deal with, or are too young, or are Quina, so the shippers latched on.

I should note, though, that I last played this when it was new, and I may have forgotten something substantial in the interim.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He probably only gave up because Black Mages are all super gristly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Being a bird freak is a slippery slope. One moment you're flipping through a Sibley's guide at the mall, the next thing you know you're buying binoculars and talking about suet. From there it's a frighteningly short gap to trying to identify different kinds of seagulls, and arguing about warblers.

I have seen too many fall down this weird feathery path.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Plenty of mammals and birds and lizards and fish are born/hatched more or less fully-functional, maybe Burmacian babies aren't losers like humans are.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Quina wasn't appointed Head Chef, they just ate whoever had the job last and got the position by default.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the weird design for Red Dragons. They have feather wings and emo hair?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The PC portraits (Except Garnet) match the character renders used in the original manual.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Freya was my favourite back when I played this as a kid, so I was kinda mad that her entire plot relevance basically shriveled up halfway through disc two.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Makes you wonder why he didn't just do that to Kuja at some point and finish off Alexandria with the Invincible.

I do wonder why Garland was on Kuja's ship, though, and why Kuja has silver hair instead of blond. Dye?

Kuja's gone grey from stress :(

Also, I like how, I don't know, efficient this scene is? It's probably one of the shortest plot-twist funks we've seen from an FF lead in a while. I always thought that it was because Zidane has his poo poo largely more together than some leads I could mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She doesn't fall entirely out of the narrative any less. When Quina is getting more screentime and dialogue than you are, it might be time to look at your options.

• Locked thread