Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thanks to this thread I started playing FFIX again a couple weeks ago. My 3-year-old daughter was watching me play and I tried to explain to her what was going on, and it seems she took in more than I thought.

Yesterday, out of the blue my daughter declared that I was "a plant", and that I needed to sit on the floor. I obliged, then she picked up a red ball, stood a few feet away, and shuffled her feet in place and waved her arms a bit. Then she hopped over to me and bopped me on the head with the ball before returning to her original position and resumed idling in place.

"I'm the black mage!" she said. Then she grabbed her Elmo doll and put him on my head. "She's the princess."

Oh, I get it.

"What's the ball?"
"It's fire."

She grabbed a blue ball, declared that it was ice, and bonked me with that one too. Her little brother was "the monkey person".
And so I was a plant for half an hour while my daughter nuked the poo poo out of me with various spells.

The End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing! I added the post to the OP if you're fine with it.

Yeah, that's fine.

A little tidbit I left out was that I changed things up after a while and started bopping her back when she got too close, so she resorted to hitting my limbs to disable them first before going in for the kill. Kid's figured out location damage at age 3. So proud.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This is amazing :3:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ramc posted:

It was a lot of fun. We're pecking away at another run-though (not LP'd though, of course). He just switched me from all Red Mages on the Big Bridge to Dancer/Summoner/Berserker/Samurai around the Moogle forest.

It's adorable and makes me want to do an lp with my daughter. If I had enough people I'd love to do an lp of New Super Mario Bros WiiU, with my daughter holding the tablet. In that game you tap the tablet and blocks show up on screen. My wife and I played with her a few times in World 8, and thanks to all the surprise blocks screwing with our jumps it was like playing Kaizo Mario, with our untimely deaths accompanied by the sound of a kid happily bragging that she made a purple block.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

You didn't like the dungeon with no save points and a wide variety of monsters with petrify(?)/stun/instakill?
gently caress the FF1 ice cave.

This dungeon was a total nightmare for me because as a kid I was I'm a total sperg who wanted all his party members to have exactly the same amount of experience, so a Sorcerer encounter followed by Wizards was an instant reset for me.

Litany Unheard posted:

When I was a kid, I... I liked the card game :negative: So many wasted hours...

You must have skipped FF8 then right? I can't imagine anyone coming from Triple Triad and thinking the FFIX card game was in any way enjoyable.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You don't really need the character cards in Triple Triad so long you have the Plus rule in effect. That's when the game gets really fun imo, because if you think things through, your terrible cards can completely ruin your opponent's superior cards

Antitonic posted:

And yes, that means I rate the card game above H&C, too.

disgusting

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sure I have eight minutes to go from the middle of disc 2 to near the end of the game... but that's part of the challenge... right...?

I expected more from you, Orange Fluffy Sheep. So disillusioned...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The thing that annoyed me the most about FFXII was how the bazaar resets your sell counter on an item whenever you buy something unlocked by selling that item. I found that out waaaaaaay too late in the game and it meant that I was basically at square one for everything because I bought lots of stuff at the bazaar as I played through the game. I didn't feel like grinding everything for hours so I could buy some equipment I wanted for the high level NMs, so I just said "screw it", finished the final dungeon and called it quits.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The party feared for their lives

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm still holding onto the hope that the final party member is Doctor Tot

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tot ist tot? This is what we call a totology

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I love Quina so much

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I enjoy TAY because it's basically nothing but grinding your way through a bunch of dungeons with varying party setups, which is all I really need from an FFIV spinoff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The disc 4 overworld theme is really dull. I know it's supposed to convey a sense of dread, but the only thing it tells me is "go to a town or dungeon ASAP so you can listen to something more interesting"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Now get the Excalibur II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I never realized that was Vivi's farewell speech. :smith:

• Locked thread