Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Son Ryo posted:

I would love to have the battle system significantly changed-- or at least the godawful equipment system. I basically can't play this game, despite how charming it is, or FFTA because that system where you have to equip outdated gear to get skills just kills me.

Maybe I am a masochist but I liked the gear to skill system. It made acquiring weapons and armor mean a lot more to the point where you want one of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Unfortunately this game kind of has the same problems because (surprise!) your stat gains at level up are partially determined by the stat boosts from equipment you're wearing at the time.

It's not a big enough difference to really matter, but it drives completionists insane.

I did not know that and am glad I did not. I probably would have tried to micromanage it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

I've always internalized queen Brahe's voice like Captain N's Mother Brain. Kind of look similar too.

Yeah, that is roughly how I imagined her sounding.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Dastardly posted:

I've spent way too much time thinking about what the voice cast would be like if IX had voices. Sadly Cristopher Lee is no longer of this world.

Garland?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

How does Steiner reconcile the idea that he should be returning the Princess to the castle when she herself obviously doesn't want to go back?

While he respects the princess he thinks in terms of absolutes in his duty and is sure she will eventually see his plan of action is the correct one. He has trouble understanding how she does not see it as her duty to return.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

tbf a lot of anti-tech stuff in games seems to be specifically anti-military tech

Yeah, no one complains about the technology that gets you on so you can ride the shoopuf.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

zakharov posted:

Dr. Tot owns you nerds

Agreed, historians and scholars are much more valuable to have around in RPG worlds where every legend and myth is absolutely and unambiguously true.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Needless to say, there's a ton of references in this game to the previous eight games (and a few other titles like Parasite Eve for some reason). I think there are less references to VIII than the others, though.

My one of favorite references has to be the starting party.

You have Steiner (Warrior), Zidane (Thief), Vivi (Black Mage), and Garnet (White Mage). The default party from the original Final Fantasy.

Garnet even wears the classic White Mage robe when she tries to flee the castle.

Alexandria also looks a bit like Cornelia Castle, and there's an Ice Cavern in FFI as well.

The default party in the original American NES Final Fantasy if you did not change anything was Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, and Red Mage. If you just tapped A repeatedly their names were all "AAAA' too.

I might have been a stupid child unable to figure out how to switch them at first.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Antitonic posted:

I prefer Tetra Master to Triple Triad for the same reason I dislike Constructed MTG; it feels less like: "you have these cards or you don't win". Obviously that's not the actual case, but once you got the character cards, there was no appeal for me.

Tetra Master, on the other hand, actually felt more like a game. There was nothing really to gain by playing it, so I never felt completionist about it like H&C, and there was no feeling of loss of interest, because the outcomes weren't set. And yes, that means I rate the card game above H&C, too.

Granted, I never bothered with Card Modding or breaking FF8 in any way, so that might be part of it.

I'm with you. I hated Triple Triad because it felt like it was part of the main game so I felt pressure to play it and it was all about having the right cards.

Tetra Master I had only a basic idea of the rules but I could sit down and play with no risk and no benefit gained and just throw down cards to see what would happen. I got reasonably good and there was still the occasional upset loss due to randomness but I also liked the randomness.

I did prefer Chocobo Hot and Cold over the card game because it was fun to panic and look for that last stupid treasure while the clock was ticking knowing it was okay if I failed because I could try again for a trivial fee.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

It doesn't get better.

Lies. I just made the leap of closer to 40 then 30 and life is still great and for the most part gets better.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Man, kids these days....

(35, brb dying of old age)

36 here, I guess that makes me the local geriatric. I guess I should start waxing nostalgic about playing the original Final Fantasy when 8 and how you kids have it so easy with your intuitive interfaces and unlimited inventories. When I was your age we didn't have chocobos. We walked from Corneria to Melmond and liked it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

To the best of my recollection, my first RPG video game was Adventure...

I have fond memories of that game. Turns out they do not hold up well when I tried it again.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Wayne posted:

Old-timers must be having a senior moment, you have to take the ship to Melmond. :smug:

We walked over the corpses of the sharks and sahuagin we killed to get there.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I love the disc intro of two soldiers just chatting. Has a very Shakespeare vibe about it.

Also, the SuperPhoenixDown was used on Aeris after the Sephiroth "incident". It didn't work because she loved Zach more then Cloud and fangirls cried.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We're never given any indication of this, honestly. No one seems to even notice that Steiner is missing from Alexandria.

I like to imagine that the Knights of Pluto are just wandering around aimlessly walking up towers for exercise, writing books, and hitting on their opposite numbers and never reporting for duty or doing their job.

And no one notices.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hooray, 50 pages of catch up done. Love you Mega!!!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Is ff8 really "popular"? I've gotten the feeling that everyone played it and then joked about how lame they found it.

It was a much more breakable game and the game had more appeal to teenage angst, a follow-up to Squall. The graphics were also touted as more 'realistic'. I think the graphics on 9 have aged better.

DentD posted:

I think the decision to go with these semi-deformed cartoon figures with large hands, feet and heads (with strangely shaped cheeks and jaws) was very off putting to many. Coming from VIII, where the characters had generally realistic proportions (okay, the legs were still super tall because Nomura but whatever) in not just the FMV sequences but in the entire game, IX's art design was baffling to me as a kid in early high school.

Now I'm okay with it but I still occasionally will gaze through the art book that was released and wonder why there was such a proportional difference from what Amano sketched down and the final product.

It seemed more like a callback to many. I find that most people who played 1-6 as kids loved 9 as a callback to more solid "class based" characters and those who were younger and started on and 7 and 8 wondered what the hell 9 was and it seemed to be 'not Final Fantasy'. Anecdotal but it fits with the people I know.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

You can also reach each kingdom in less than a day on foot.

Unless you wander around Treno's borders. Then a week can pass in a few minutes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Bufuman posted:

I liked certain parts of TAY. Seeing some of my favorite characters from the original game (or even the series) either all grown up or older and wiser was nice. And the challenge dungeons were interesting too. Well, most of them; gently caress Rydia's Challenge Dungeon. Who on earth thought that reprising and extending the Sealed Cave, complete with multiple Demon Wall fights, with a team consisting of ONLY a fragile caster and a slow tank, was a good idea? gently caress that guy!

That said most of the other additions were pointless fluff or poor imitations of plot elements from the original game. And several characters were extremely underpowered to the point where an empty slot was almost preferable (the standouts being Edge's ninja team; considering that Edge was the weak link of the original team but made up for it by being good at several things, making four characters each with ONE of his specialties was a terrible idea). I liked the idea of the Band system, but knowing which attacks to use for some of them was an obtuse pain in the rear end. And the moon system was pointlessly annoying. Overall the game was solidly average at best, not BAD exactly but definitely not good.

It was okay but the story was awful. I think back to the fanfic sequel I wrote back when I was 11 and realize that yes, my story about Cecil and company taking the Big Whale on a search for the departed moon to find a weapon to save the planet while the next generation of heroes remained on their planet to fight an insane half-Lunarian son of Zemus to delay his plan to resurrect the giant of Babil and other Lunarian tech, was actually better then what the paid writers came up with.

I did enjoy the more challenging combat but the character balance was very off and the end dungeon grinding if you wanted to play with multiple characters was boring as hell.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's none. Amarants are unable to tolerate the idea of being with other people, and so they all travel around the world, alone, with their only mission in life being telling people who have friends how lame they are and how cool and good being a loner is and how much stronger they are because of it before they get pummeled into the ground.

Each and every interaction with an Amarant is this, in other words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDVkXhelMk&t=5s

I assume the hair is part of their reproduction process. Budding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I cried as a teen when I realized Vivi died but it was a bittersweet cry. He lived a full life.

Thanks for the LP. It was amazing.

• Locked thread