Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Aww yeah. FFIX. This is going to be fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I didn't think that FFIV's end-game party was in any way deficient, honestly. There certainly weren't any characters I wanted on the team that weren't there, and the ones that were missing had darn good reasons for not being there. FFIV character discussion below.

Edward: Garbage. Hanging out in a castle populated entirely by women (and frogs).
Palom: Not as good as Rosa. Literally a child. Usually stoned.
Porom: Not as good as Rydia. See above.
Tellah: Went out trying to save the world from Golbez.
FuSoYa: Went out trying to save the world with Golbez.
Yang: Exploded in a cannon. Taken care of by fairies. Formidable wife. Not as good as Edge.
Cid: Exploded in a suicide bombing. Taken care of by Dwarves. Formidable beard. Not as good as Kain.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

steiner + vivi 4 lyfe

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Haha. This is pretty much my endgame party right here. It's well balanced, and would even work out in a D&D game!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

It's a valuable warning to the rest of us.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Crossing The Knoll is one of my favourite Final Fantasy overworld themes - right up there with the one from FFIV, I think.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Does anyone else find it ironic that some RPG speed runs inevitably end up taking forever to pull off?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Vil posted:

I haven't really had that experience. I do occasionally encounter people waxing nostalgic about 11, but I more often encounter people going "gently caress that noise, it's so nice that 14 doesn't have all that bullshit 11 did". And far more often than either of those, I encounter people who have no experience with 11 at all, outside of possible hearsay.

That said, 11's gotten much, much more accessible and reasonable in the past few years. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in a vacuum (because there's still some underlying bullshit, just not nearly as egregious as it used to be), but at this point it might be worth considering playing through it for its various major stories, and then dropping it like a hot potato before getting into any sort of endgame gear grind.

Is FFXI still brutally racist? That was something that really struck me about it when I played ... More than a decade ago ...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Vil posted:

Well I mean, the tarus do exist to be punted, and to stealthily slash your Achilles tendon in return...

If you're referring to the whole thing where certain races were heavily disfavored for certain roles (e.g. galkas for casters or tarus for tanks), then no, that's pretty much meaningless now. Current gear has so many stat boosts on it that racial differences are negligible, and HP and MP were evened out tremendously between races so there's no longer a terribly big difference.

Actually, I was referring to the whole JP ONLY thing and the somewhat frayed relations between the Japanese and non-Japanese customer bases. That always struck me as one of the most dramatic issues with FFXI.

e: oh god now I'm having NM hunting flashbacks agghhhh

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 24, 2015

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Sorry, who were we talking about again?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I forget so many of these charming little details.

A bell in the bell? "Yo dawg..."

I think the security system makes more sense if you assume that Gizamaluke's Grotto isn't supposed to be used on the regular, or that Gizamaluke himself normally lets people through.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Dastardly posted:

Speaking of Ralvurahva. After looking at it's artwork I think it's pretty darn safe to assume that it's in process of shedding it's skin and that Ralvuimago is it's shedded form. You can see patches of it's skin being ripped open with green skin underneath and the gasmask looking potrusions are the red feelers/tusks curled up.

I'd put money on it. The "imago" is a technical term for an adult insect. Take "Rahva" and strip out the accent, and what do you get? Larva. (I presume we missed out on Ralvupupa because a sessile enemy would be a bit boring!) Glad someone else thought of this - I had always just assumed that the two were a pallet swap!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And thus, Lindblum held an iron fisted monopoly for the next two centuries on airships.

Or at least they would have, if they hadn't just gotten wrecked.

As I understand, the chests in the Iifa Tree also look different from anything we would have seen up to this point. Isn't that another red flag for Mega64 to point out?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

As a kid I just kept wondering what the giant harp was for.

Foreshadowing for Ar Tonelico.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's just an incredible bit of foreshadowing in the confrontation with Kuja that I'm not going to point out just yet. Suffice to say I'm glad FFIX was never voice-acted, because that would have greatly altered the subtleties of it.

Also I think Amarant has always been the guy that gets Tranced the least whenever I played for some reason.

EDIT: Update last page.

OK, I'm clearly an idiot because I don't know to what you are referring. Is it this Second Act business? Kuja talking about the strong supplanting the weak? Vivi's use of the term stop? Amarant carrying the kids? The reference to soulless puppets? The reference to ten years ago? A critical event at the Iifa tree being linked to that Canary play? This sequence is laden with foreshadowing.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 18, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll just link the image at least: http://lpix.org/2542208/088.jpg

Another thing I noticed:

Uh, you sure are sleeping there Dagger.

Yep, my mind is blown.

One thing I love about this game is how it keeps on cranking up the intensity, with a few well-selected bits of levity thrown in just temporarily when things start getting too serious for too long. poo poo just keeps getting realer and realer. I saw someone come out with a timeline of this game; it's shocking how much happens so quickly.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I'm glad you folks are all talking about the Esto Gaza weaponry, because I saw it come up in this LP as a whole bunch of mithril and got really, really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

It looks like poo poo just got real.

• Locked thread